Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Taming or understanding Vista file manager by Dr. DOS
Vista Home Premium. I have a file, call it fred.txt. I want to locate it. I start at the top of the file hierarchy (harddrive c: (computer\harddrive C (not desktop)). As I type into the search window, winexplorer churns away and produces a "yellow pages" full of files, but not fred.txt. I know fred exists. In fact, as a test (after I laboriously find it another way), I can start the search...
November 15th 08 10:50 PM
by Louie[_5_] Go to last post
7 659
Lost 'new text document' shortcut by bvandew
Right-click on the desktop and select 'New'....somehow I have lost the shortcut to create a text document. Where does Windows get this information and how can I get it back? --Bruce
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 08 03:30 PM
by FPSguy Go to last post
11 918
howto backup custom emoticons for Messenger Live in Vista by leojdpa
I dont want to loose all of them again so 1. how do i back them up in vista? 2. Where are they stored (the full path please)
November 15th 08 09:39 AM
by Zace66 Go to last post
2 449
Explorer doesn't show thumbnails on networked folder by iganpo
I keep all my photos on a networked computer. On my Windows Vista Home Premium computer, I can't get Explorer to display the thumbnails for any picture. It only displays a generic image icon. If I open a folder on the local hard drive, it shows the previews fine. I've made sure that to uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in Folder Options. I've applied the folder template...
November 14th 08 08:58 PM
by Marc Go to last post
9 578
File Description Missing in Large Folder View by Radiation
Today the file descriptions went missing from folder view in explorer. I like the large/medium folder views, but without the name of the folder there makes it hard to navigate to the files I want. I cannot find any options to turn the folder names back on in this view. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. Missing Folder Names:...
November 14th 08 01:24 PM
by andymayhem Go to last post
4 507
I want to arrange files in my folder by type by txacoli
In XP, the option to arrange files by type was always there. In Vista, it is not. I know that I have to right click and select on of the 680 or so options for arranging files that are there, but to be honest, I use Sort by - TYPE soooo often, that I want it to be there all the time. Is there something I can do to make this a default option, maybe amend a registry key or something??? It drives...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 08 07:34 PM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
11 882
Change Drive Letters by Boblink
Hi, I POSTED an earlier not about collapsing a Partition and redistributing the disk space to another Partition and also would appreciate help with Re-lettering these Partitions. I tried to rename a Partition "E" but "E" was NOT listed on the options (Change Drive Name an Path) although NO current Drives were named "E". I did name a Drive (Partition) at one time but deleted that...
November 13th 08 02:57 PM
by Boblink Go to last post
2 504
Star menu domumnet short cut by Jim Gramm
I move My Documents folder and now the Documents folder icon in the start menu is blank, it points to nothing and when I right click and go to properties everything is blank and I can not edit it. I tried moving my documents back to the old location but no help. Anyway to get this short cut to find 'my documents' again. Thanks Jim
November 13th 08 06:09 AM
by Brink Go to last post
2 581
Windows Directory Customized as 'Music'! by zx12a1
Hi I have discovered that my c:\windows directory, and all child folders, has taken on the appearence of a 'Music' folder. As the properties window does not support a 'Customize' tab I am wondering if anyone can instruct me as to how I can reset this to a 'normal' files folder? Thanks
November 11th 08 12:29 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 556
How to see and read replies? by gregson77[_2_]
I ' v e b e e n n o t i f i e d t h a t s o m e o n e h a s r e p l i e d t o m y p r o b l e m , b u t I h a v e n o i d e a h o w t o s e e i t a n d r e a d i t ! H o w t o d o i t p l e a s e ?
November 10th 08 04:15 PM
by Mort Go to last post
2 561
Inconsistent Partition Data by Christian Kaiser
I have a Vista 64bit installed in a VMWare VM environment and resized the harddisk from 35 to 45 GB (35 is definitely too small for Vista and a few language packs). Then I did start the Management console, connected to Disk management and extended the volume. This worked well when I had to extend 25 to 35 GB (I was too optimistic at that time). The a message box with "invalid parameter"...
November 10th 08 07:34 AM
by Christian Kaiser Go to last post
6 548
Help me understand files and folders-- sending, moving etc. by gregson77
-I-'-v-e- -h-a-d- -a- -c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r- -s-i-n-c-e- -1-9-8-4-,- -b-u-t- -I-'-v-e- -n-e-v-e-r- -u-n-d-e-r-s-t-o-o-d- -h-o-w- -t-o- -h-a-n-d-l-e- -f-i-l-e-s- -a-n-d- -f-o-l-d-e-r-s- -a-n-d- -h-o-w- -t-o- -m-o-v-e- -t-h-e-m- -,- -\-"-s-e-n-d- -t-h-e-m- -t-o- -.- -.-\-"-,- -s-e-n-d- -t-h-e-m- -t-o- -o-t-h-e-r- -f-o-l-d-e-r-s-.- -I- -g-u-e-s-s- -I- -c-a-n-'-t- -g-e-t- -m-y- -m-i-n-d- -r-o-u-n-d-...
November 10th 08 01:47 AM
by Deet Go to last post
1 507
How to get permission by hogarth27
Bad day. Missed the UPS with my new HDTV stuff. Accidentally moved my DOCUMENTS file to recycle bin. I try to restore and it tells me I need permission. My USER account supposedly has administrative powers. How do I get permission, and why is not my power enough to get permission? Home premium, HP pavilllion. thanks
November 8th 08 09:26 PM
by hogarth27 Go to last post
2 460
File search by mark
When searching for (.doc, .xls or pdf) files from the search window or from an office application, most of the files found do not have applications associated with them and cannot be opened by double clicking on the file shown in the search window. The file can be opened by manually navigating to the file in windows explorer. There seems to be random files that can be opened this way, but...
November 8th 08 04:54 PM
by mark Go to last post
0 493
Windows cannot find a file error message. by Dj Rawlings
Vista windows will not open an excel file from recent items or other document windows. It does open the application itself and then displays the error window "Windows cannot find 'C\( path to the file)\_____.xls. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Windows search will show the file, but it goes through the same thing when it is clicked. The files can be opened within...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 8th 08 04:48 PM
by jrk[_2_] Go to last post
13 992
Copies made instead of deleting files by Nadyne Nelson
How do I delete files using Windows Explorer without making copies? I would also LOVE to have an icon to delete files but haven't been able to find this, either. I am trying to delete multiple files and VISTA keeps making copies of those files instead of deleting them. It's very frustrating. Also, is there any way to stop the Caps Lock from coming on automatically? Thanks in advance for...
November 8th 08 01:39 PM
by Nadyne Nelson Go to last post
8 566
RunDLL missing file by cravingmad
Hi, whenever I log into my laptop I get this message: RunDLL C:\PROGRA-1\MYWEBS-1\bar\1.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL The specified module could not be found. Can anyone help, and advise me how to get rid of it. Thanks Helen.
November 8th 08 12:51 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
7 631
Updated exe data moved to Virtual Folder by Andy Dyble
Hi After our software users starting using Vista, we stopped installing data that was changeable by our software (delphi based) in the program files folder as per MS instructions. We now have the program exe in program files but data in C:\ProgramData\Midsoft\Pipe Navigator\Data Works a treat. However, sometimes when users download a new version of the exe from our ftp site, the data...
November 7th 08 05:01 PM
by Andy Dyble Go to last post
0 489
(Vista 64-bit) Can one somehow "dump" a program's memory (e.g., firefox or chrome) to a file and load after closing a program? by wdonnell
The real problem stems from my headphone jack intermittently not responding (hardware-related, yes). And thus this relates to buffering videos and me being too lazy to reload them wasting additional time. -- wdonnell ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wdonnell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wdonnell.htm View this thread:...
November 7th 08 04:06 PM
by wdonnell Go to last post
0 480
Can I Put Vista Printer Driver on XP Desktop by Mac Lynch
Put Vista Printer Driver on XP Desktop Kia Ora My laptop runs Vista Home Premium. My Brother MFC-215C Printer runs from the desktop running XP SE. If I connect the laptop Direct to the Printer by USB it works fine for Word 97. But if I connect through WiFi through the desktop to the printer, some bold fonts come out garbled. How can I Install an extra Vista Driver on the XP desktop...
November 6th 08 01:06 PM
by DL Go to last post

From The