Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Backup to Internal Drive by Davido696
I have Vista Ultimate and would like to backup all files to the second internal drive. Vista's backup program does not recognize drive D as approreat for backup. There are a few files on D some of which I can't delete because system reports too large. I cannot format the drive but can save files to it. How should I configure this drive to be able to use the disk for backup? I have a...
May 30th 07 04:13 PM
by Tim Go to last post
2 181
Files don't display on Vista desktop by [email protected]
In Vista, sometimes files can be selected via "Desktop" in Windows Explorer, and/or via C:\Users\\Desktop but the files cannot actually be seen nor selected via the desktop itself. Sometimes I hit the F5 key and they appear, sometimest they don't. Never had this problem in XP. I view properties for the files and Hidden is not checked. I have Show hidden files and folders and Show protected...
November 15th 07 05:52 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 178
Files missing after a restore-related crash by DavisJ3608
When I logged on to my computer this morning, my desktop was black, I wasn't able to change it to a picture, all my desktop icons were missing, and my Windows theme was changed from Basic to Aero. I decided that my computer had probably auto-restored to an ancient restore point for some reason, and figured I might as well add all my desktop icons back to their places. I found the file...
January 29th 08 04:52 AM
by DavisJ3608 Go to last post
0 222
Can't create New Folders on Desktop by Daydream
Hi When I right-click on the desktop or within the Documents Folder (o similar folders), I no longer have the option to create a "New Folder" When I choose the "New" option, it reads "empty". I saw someone had similar problem on here and they were given a registry fix to downloa and merge, which I did, but it did not help me. When I am in th Documents Folder, I do have the "Organize" option and...
November 10th 09 02:49 PM
by Daydream Go to last post
0 254
Can't create New Folders on Desktop by Daydream
Hi, When I right-click on the desktop or within the Documents Folder (or similar folders), I no longer have the option to create a "New Folder". When I choose the "New" option, it reads "empty". I saw someone had a similar problem on here and they were given a registry fix to download and merge, which I did, but it did not help me. When I am in the Documents Folder, I do have the "Organize"...
November 10th 09 06:21 PM
by Daydream Go to last post
4 419
Vista will not show newly uploaded photo thumbnails by Dayna26
Hi alll, I have read every thread on here regarding the above problem and NOTHING is working for me, it is getting rather frustrating. All my new photos I am adding to my computer do NOT show the preview on the thumbnail, only all my old photos already on there show them. All the setting in folder options are correct and Im at a loss as to what will fix this..
August 24th 09 09:41 AM
by Dayna26 Go to last post
0 197
Recovery Drive Help! by daysgoby
Sorry the title is in all caps, obnoxious but I'm in kind of a tiffy. I'm really annoyed at having extra folders lying around so I delete them. To be specific, the favorites folder under the C drive. It annoys me to NO END that it's there and that I can never completely get rid of it. So I was playing around with it and I decided to move it to the Recovery (D:\) drive. REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA....
August 19th 07 03:29 AM
by daysgoby Go to last post
0 168
cant find the jpeg files in my temp internet files by Dazed427
seem to have lost viewing of the temp jpeg files...only files that are showing now are tmp and wmp files that do not open to view..I have changed the settings to view hidden folders and so forth....
June 3rd 08 11:40 PM
by Malu Menezes [MSFT] Go to last post
1 200
I deleted a file, tried to restore it, and it didn't restore. by Dazedandconfused
I clicked on restore, and it left the reclycle bin, but then it didn't go to the original location, and I don't know the name of the files, so is there any other way to look them up? Thank you so much to anyone who can reply.
April 10th 08 03:23 AM
by Brink Go to last post
2 199
Search doesn't work in hidden system folders? by DB
If I make a folder +h +s, the search function no longer does anything when I browse into that folder and type something in the search bar. It doesn't say there are no results, it just does nothing. Not even in advanced search. Is this a bug? Is there a way around this? I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
July 18th 08 06:36 AM
by DB Go to last post
3 267
Printing the results of a Windows search (XPPro) by DBenedict
We are reorganizing our company's shared drive and I have to move files into this new structure. Before I move things, I'd like to know where everything was. I can run a normal Windows search that shows everything I've got. (files, folders, subfolders). Is there a way to get a print out of this list including file size, location, etc? Saved search does me no good. Everything will be...
September 14th 07 08:34 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 166
"open with" application menu by DBMon
where can I edit this menu/window? I had a file type working with a program before, then I moved it and it wouldn't work, messing around set it to another program and added even another to the "open with" window HELP
October 31st 07 07:34 PM
by brink[_1639_] Go to last post
1 132
File associations by DBYurtoy
Two related issues: If I select any program except Photo Gallery to be the default program for JPGs, the option to OPEN WITH is no longer available if I select more than 1 file. Second, if I select 16 JPG files to open in my program, the default Explorer action becomes PRINT rather than OPEN. At 15 JPGs, the default remains OPEN. How do I fix these problems?
May 11th 07 10:16 PM
by DBYurtoy Go to last post
0 161
Default JPG file actions by DBYurtoy
The default jpg action from Explorer is OPEN with less than 15 files, but PRINT with 16 or greater. How do I fix this?
May 11th 07 09:27 PM
by DBYurtoy Go to last post
0 158
File Extensions by dcoryh192
Hi. Using the forum I have found Control Panel - Default Programs. But i want to be able to make the extensions show on certain extensions, like in XP. Like say I have PowerISO, and I wan't windows to show me what is a .daa and what is an .iso. I really don't want to turn on the option to show all known file types, because I don't want to see all of them. Just ones that I chose. I know you could...
September 8th 08 09:00 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
4 342
upgrade/ file retrieval by ddja
I upgraded from Windows WP Professional to Windows Vista Home Premium, thinking that my files had been backed up, and they weren't. Is there any way to retrieve my files?
February 24th 07 05:15 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 162
How to customize right click menu? by Deadlywill
In Vista HP - how can i add say, Movies or Pictures, to my right click menu and get rid of all the stuff in there i dont use - is that possible? Ta
October 31st 07 07:30 AM
by Deadlywill Go to last post
0 155
Indexing Volumes Mounted in empty NTFS folders. by deadonthefloor
In order to clean up the mess I had in windows media center, I removed the drive letters from my media drives, and mounted them in empty NTFS folders inside the "Public Videos" folder. However, When I check my "Indexed Locations" in indexing options, I do not see these folders when I drill down through the 'Users\Public\Public Videos" folder. I have a folder named "Television (A-M)" That...
December 15th 07 10:50 PM
by deadonthefloor Go to last post
0 259
Help with "My Pictures" by Deamon1
Hi All, I have made an extreme rookie mistake and hope not to live to regret it. I have installed Vista over XP Pro yesterday and completely (having backed up everything else...) forgot to back up my pictures folder. Now as you can imagine there are REALLy important pictures in there (especially from my recent wedding) that were not previously backed up (last backup was unfortunatly about 6...
February 16th 08 12:40 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 280
opening folders in vista by dean
i'm using vista and every time I open a folder in windows explorer, a new mozilla browser tab opens up
October 4th 07 07:39 PM
by dean Go to last post

From The