Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Find any file containing a string? by Calab
The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP... How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I don't know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all files and even the files it does index don't have the contents as searchable. I've looked in the indexing settings in the control panel and I can't see any easy way to select all and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 6th 08 09:26 AM
by Clive Lumb Go to last post
15 700
cannot open downloaded files in firefox by zsmall
I used to use microsoft xp and recently bought a new computer and installed firefox. I can download files, however, unlike before, i cannot open them as a "grey icon" comes up and when i look in the directory i have downloaded to, there is NO file. I've tried this a billion times and it takes 10 minutes to download something on my computer, it'll never ever appear. I can download files perfectly...
November 5th 08 12:04 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 327
how to add link to Favorite Links in save dialog? by james
When saving a file it pops up a save dialog with these folders on the left panel: Documents Recently Changed Desktop Recent Places Computer Searches
November 4th 08 07:55 PM
by Big D[_3_] Go to last post
1 297
Cannot find 230 Gb unknown files by Ralph IB
My C Drive is 288 Gb and has 15 Gb of known files, 23 Gb free and 230 Gb of what WinDirStat lists as unknown files. My setup is: HP m8150n with Intel Viiv Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.4 GHz) Windows Vista Ultimate 3 Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIAGeForce 8400 SEgraphics 640 Gb 7200RPM SATA HD C Drive 288 Gb
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 4th 08 07:51 PM
by Richie Hardwick[_2_] Go to last post
11 488
Unable to Delete NAS backup ShadowCopy Files by taddyporter
I can't believe how hard this is turning out to be. My SATA drive gave out a warning that it was failing. No big deal, I thought. I've got a spare and a 1TB NAS to backup to. Windows (Ultimate 32x) offered to back up for me, so I figured, go ahead. I backed up to the NAS (Buffalo Linkstation pro). After 2.5 days of processing the backup, I had enough so I canceled it. I figured I could just...
November 3rd 08 09:39 AM
by taddyporter Go to last post
2 311
safele delete files by yorkshire lass
In disc clean up there is an option to "safely delete files that have not been modified in over a week" How do I know if they have been modified and therefor safe to remove ? Also, is it safe to delete system archived error reports ? -- yorkshire lass
November 2nd 08 07:19 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 323
Sidebar issues by Apache -=CW=-
I've been searching the net for a solution to the sidebar failing to load. For some people it seems as though there are DLL issues, that once corrected restores the sidebar. And then there are a few of us that can't resolve. Here is the fix that seems to help most. 1. Open a command prompt by being Administrator (Right click on Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator)
November 1st 08 07:18 PM
by Apache -=CW=- Go to last post
2 293
Lost document or file folder by tcprice48
When I try to save a document (any Office 2003 application) using _save-as_, the pop-up window shows the document as saved. When I close the document and go to my documents and drill down to the file I saved the document in, it is not there. The only way I have been successful in saving to a specified is to first save the document to the desk top and then drag and drop to the correct folder. ...
October 31st 08 09:38 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
7 325
How can I stop Temp folder expanding to take over my whole system disk? by Joe91
Hi, I recently noticed that the % of free space on my system disk had dropped considerably. On investigation I found that the folder username/AppData/Local/Temp had filled to about 55% of my 120GB drive. Many of the folders/files were months old. Is there some setting I can change to clear the folder when I log out or shut down or do I have to delete the files/folders manually? Many...
October 31st 08 06:26 PM
by Beoweolf[_2_] Go to last post
6 324
Zip extract is empty directory structure by vankampenp[_5_]
Hi I use Vista Ultimate x64 and am having problems with the build in zip extract. I tried multiple zip files from different sources, and these can be unzipped with various tools, and on other platforms. However, on my Vista Ultimate x64 the unzipping does not work. When I double click the file, I can see its content including the full file structure. (See ZipContents.jpg)
October 30th 08 11:39 PM
by Luca Go to last post
3 321
Opening Unix documents under Windows by Peter Phillips
Hello. I'd like to download some website files prepared for a Unix platform. My OS is Vista (SP1). Will the download itself cause any problems? How can I view them on a Vista (or W2K) machine? Thanks.
October 29th 08 09:23 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 278
Making search folder columns permanent by Ray[_6_]
Almost every time I do a search in Explorer, I end up changing the columns that are displayed in the search folder. Is there any way to set the columns so that Vista will remember the settings, or am I doomed to keep redoing this forever? All other folders show the columns the way I want, but for some reason the search folders insist on coming up the same old way. -- Ray
October 29th 08 06:20 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
0 290
Change a Saved Search by Access Joe
Using Windows Vista Enterprise I've created a 'Saved Search' in Windows Explorer. How do I a) SEE the search criteria without physically running the search and opening the Search Pane, and b) modify the criteria? Thanks so much!
October 29th 08 03:52 PM
by Access Joe Go to last post
2 325
need help adding host file by tyrell444
Hay my computer right now doesent have a host file under c:\windows\system32\drivers\ect Now from what i understand most computer should have this file but for some reason i dont. Can anyone help me or give me a short guide on how i can add this host file? --
October 29th 08 02:25 PM
by Ron Go to last post
6 314
I can't open a file by Soraya
I have a subfolder with several pictures and videos I downloaded from my camera, but when I try to open them I get this message: Photo Gallery can't open this picture because it might have been deleted or is in a location that is not available. When I open the folder I cannot see anything. Then I click on name/stack by name, and I get to groups: I-P & Q-Z. Then I open I-P and see all my...
October 29th 08 02:45 AM
by Soraya Go to last post
0 286
uxtheme.dll help by oli1122
I have downloaded the uxtheme.dll to use a windows xp theme in vista i got it from this site 'Download UXTheme Patch For Windows XP SP2 Final - Now you can use any theme for Windows XP with SP2 Build 2180 - Softpedia' (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml) I followed the instructions on the site but when i try to rename...
October 25th 08 09:01 PM
by mansrm81 Go to last post
3 313
Installing XP over vista by coleman984
I think I went about installing XP the wrong way. I had a raid-0 setup with two hard drives and deleted the raid configuration without formating the disks, added 3 new hard drives and created a new raid-0 with all 5 hardrives (why don't these utilies come with an fdisk of sorts???) and now whenever I try to install XP I get a BSOD at the point when it says starting windows. Any suggestions? ...
October 25th 08 06:59 PM
by Apache -=CW=- Go to last post
3 322
Folder customization gone crazy by James Hahn[_2_]
I am scanning a large collection of old slides, and organizing them into folders by topic and date. To help keep track of things, for several folders I selected Properties / Customize / Folder Pictures and Choose pictures and chose a representative image from within that folder. That worked OK. But next day when I went back to some real work I discovered that random folders all over the...
October 25th 08 06:54 AM
by James Hahn[_2_] Go to last post
3 322
Folders and Files are disappearing on me! by hiswings
I a newbie to Vista. Just bought a new computer and transferred my Documents, Pictures and Music to my new computer via an external harddrive. The problem is this: when I open a folder in the 'Documents' folder more than half of my files and folders are gone! This problem must be growing because some of my folders in Microsoft Outlook 2003 have disappeared!
October 24th 08 02:43 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 305
little keys all over my floor by John
I am new to Vista, one month now and having troubles out the butt. I think someone at Microsoft is a total crazy or just plain stupid. Programs like Windows media player. Somehow, I was watching a DVD movie, I click one something, and now I have the audio and no picture. I tried to restore it back and still no picture. Hummm I will click the help, oh I see no help icon on it. I guess I am just...
October 22nd 08 10:01 PM
by Sebi Trandafir Go to last post

From The