Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Organizing Programs on Start Menu by jsperopulos
There are a lot of Microsoft and Adobe programs on my computer. When I click on Start MenuAll Programs , want to be able to organize programs in folders; ie. all the Adobe Programs in a folder. I could do this in XP.
October 1st 08 07:19 AM
by the-architect Go to last post
2 310
Document Directory by Gene L.[_2_]
I use Vista Home Premium at home just for personal use. I do not use an extensive file arrangement and was wondering how I can by-pass the "users/Name" after the "C" prompt and go right to the documents. It is a little annoying to go throught all the folder names when I do not use them. Is there a way to do this? I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thand you Gene L.
October 1st 08 06:41 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
9 360
Windows cannot find Word 2007 docs in Explorer by David
Hi, I have Vista Business and Office 2007, both registered. When I try to open a Word doc in Explorer, I always get the error message 'Windows cannot find the file specified. Make sure you have typed the name correctly', and Word starts but with an empty Window. My file path is correct, the default path to my Documents in Word Options is correct, so it's weird. I reinstalled Word with no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 1st 08 06:04 AM
by gstaples Go to last post
10 586
None deleted user folder by KelticGuy
I recently deleted a user account via Control Panel, User Accounts. Later whilst browsing in Windows Explorer I discovered the user's folder was still there in C:\users\usersname. I have adminstrator rights but the system would not let me delete this folder giving the error message that it was open by someone else? Sorry to be a bore if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find...
September 30th 08 02:51 PM
by Brink Go to last post
5 420
Outlook 2007 not indexing files by AutoBarn
Hi there, I have a problem within Outlook 2007 when ever I try and search through my emails. Whenever I perform a search of any of my mail folders, I get no results and a message saying 'Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed. Click here for more details'. When I click for more details, I receive a message saying 'Outlook is
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 29th 08 09:50 PM
by Francois Binder Go to last post
21 1,289
set folder options by John A Grandy[_2_]
In Vista Explorer , how do I set folder options ? ( display suffixes ; hidden/system files ; detail info ; etc. )
September 29th 08 04:30 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
6 462
search feature disappeared from explorer? by james
I disabled the drive indexing service just like I always do in windows XP -- disable indexing on each drive, and turn off the indexing service. Now the search function disappeared completely in windows explorer. I turn back on the windows search service but the search function did not come back. I just want the real time, slow search function. How do I do this?
September 28th 08 05:23 PM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
1 327
vista makes it hard to not use document folder? by james
Instead of using the default document folder, I prefer to use my own path to store my stuff (e.g. d:\user\mystuff). Compared to XP, vista seems to go to extra length to make it difficult to save/open files outside of the document folder. Many clicks are required to navigate out of the default document folder to d:\ Is there a way to make the default save dialog of all apps start in d:\...
September 28th 08 04:14 PM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
2 378
64 programs by shazbot
Ok maybe a silly question when I install programs on the C drive Windows installs them either in the Programs Files (86) for the 32 bit and Programs Files for the 64 bit BUT When I install programs on for instance the F drive must I do the same, two folders or doesn't it matter, and use just one folder regardless whether its 32 or 64bit
September 27th 08 04:28 AM
by tntoak[_6_] Go to last post
6 416
Default Programs/Associations by husky86
I want to be able to have Gmail (through Firefox 3.0) as my default outgoing mail program selection. Meaning, I simply want Gmail to be the default mail program whenever I click on an email address--simple as that. In attempting to change the default setting associated with my e-mail, I went to Control Panel Default Programs Set Associations. Microsoft Outlook is currently the default...
September 27th 08 12:10 AM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
1 383
September 26th 08 05:21 AM
by Brink Go to last post
3 343
Indexing options selected folders not indexed by Harolds[_2_]
I would like to know why if you check a folder to be indexed by clicking Modify in Indexing Options / Indexed Locations the folders property "Index this folder for faster searching" doesn't automatically get set? -- Harolds
September 25th 08 07:30 PM
by Harolds[_2_] Go to last post
0 293
Windows Vista Search by Mickey Mouse
The search function in Vista really does suck!!!! I've now been using Agent Ransack for searching but even that doesn't appear to do what I want. So, what do I want.....? Glad I asked! I have backup cd's with many folders within them I need to find a particular picture contained on one of those cd's hidden within one of those many folders.
September 24th 08 03:59 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
1 316
Acronis True Image and Vista (Home Premium) by Lonestar
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image (C:) onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which external hard drive did you use? Thanks. EW
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 24th 08 06:35 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
21 747
File names are truncated / abbreviated when moved & invalid charac by murphsa1
When I move files from Outlook to a file folder the file name is truncated. Prior to upgrading to Vista, I could drag / drop a file from Outlook and the file name would remain intact. I'm not exceeding the total # of characters. Is there a setting I can change? Also, when attempting to rename a file, I get the error showing 'symbols' that can't be used in the file name ... but I clearly...
September 24th 08 01:49 AM
by murphsa1 Go to last post
0 318
File action options in Context menu by dleddy
I've read a number of posts about this question and have yet to see a clear answer, or even a "you can't do that any longer": How can I assign different actions to a file type so that all of the actions are available in the context menu. For example, for an *.html file, I want to use IE to "OPEN" the file, but want to use HTML-Kit to "EDIT" the file. Creating these file type - program...
September 23rd 08 07:38 PM
by dleddy Go to last post
7 366
Very annoying message balloon by Mandevu
Attempted to backup my Outlook .pst files to a DVD but advised the backup was unsuccessful. Now a message continually pops up (see screenshot). When I click the balloon to see the files it takes me to my EMPTY DVD burner (no disk) it tells me there is a 276k backup file there. When I navigate to C:\Name..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Files there is nothing to delete - this...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 23rd 08 03:11 PM
by Mandevu Go to last post
11 586
No removeable drive F by akaash
hi, i have Windows Vista and my removeable drive f has dissappeared from under 'my computer' - this has never happened before with XP. Anybody know how to get it back? Thanks.
September 22nd 08 02:53 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
2 298
"programs" folder inside "all programs" by fme008 via WindowsKB.com
hi there, i have vista home premium. Recently i installed magic video converter. after i installed the program, i went to "start" - "all programs, " i see this "programs" folder. I clicked on that, all it shows is the list of softwares/programs installed in this computer (same list of stuff from "all programs" ) Is there anyway to get rid of this? i like the video program but hate "programs"...
September 22nd 08 06:38 AM
by lennard beecher Go to last post
1 431
Can't do a "save as" with Vista...and more by ernst32
Sorry for the length and craziness of this post in advance, and thanks for any help! Initially I was going to say I could not save anything at all in Vista, but now it seems that if I use the "save" option I can sometimes save something if I am quick. But most times, regardless whether it is the "save as" or the "save" command I use, I will get the whole "Office word has stopped working and...
September 21st 08 11:30 PM
by SIW2 Go to last post

From The