Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Deleteing Files in a folder based on date! by wiseteufel via WindowsKB.com
Hi - I have a folder that contains about 250,000 zipped files. Windows explorer is having tremendous difficulty opening such folder, even when it displays results (after 10 or so minutes) it hangs after I even highlight any files for deletion. a lot of these files go back to 2006 and 2007. I kindly NEED a DOS batch file or some script that I would enable me to delete the files that are older...
September 10th 08 03:39 PM
by adaher008 via WindowsKB.com Go to last post
2 318
How to make files inaccessable from another computer on a network by tdjolliff
ok i dont know if i should laugh cry or scream i jus upgraded to vista because i had no other choice and ive got a stash of shall we say naughty things and i cant of rhte life of me figure out how to make them private from the network but still allow myself to access them from my own computer it used to be so easy in xp all i had to do was tell it i wanted it to be private and voila anyway...
September 9th 08 11:27 PM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
5 342
Vista Indexing Question by Clearwire Mail
I went to RUN.... SERVICES.MSC and disabled the Windows Search service. I don't want indexing on my computer. However, when going to the Properties of my C: drive, the check mark is ON for indexing my drive. So which is it? Note: I "think" that if I uncheck the box that shows indexing on my C; drive, it will alter the characteristics of EVERY file on the computer for non-indexing, and...
September 9th 08 07:26 AM
by James Hahn[_2_] Go to last post
8 362
Biondi font missing on Vista by Alana1385
Hi I have Windows Vista on my Dell laptop and I frequently used the Biondi font that came with vista. Just the other day the font seems to have gone missing and all the programs I use, such as Adobe Photoshop say that the font is missing and has been replaced. Does anyone know of a way I can get the font back without having to totally reinstall Vista? Thanks! Alana
September 8th 08 06:56 PM
by AFrey Go to last post
5 426
Drivers not loading; slow boot by MPS[_2_]
Hi all, Vista Home Premium, 1.8 GHz Intel Duo Core 4300, 2Gb, 1000+ GB working fine albeit a bit sluggish after a year. Shutdown in less than 30". In search of the cause of a slowbooting, 2'30"before I see the Desktop, computer I find in nbtlog.txt among properly loaded drivers always the same 2/4 entries: Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS Did not load driver...
September 8th 08 10:43 AM
by MPS[_2_] Go to last post
0 313
File Extensions by dcoryh192
Hi. Using the forum I have found Control Panel - Default Programs. But i want to be able to make the extensions show on certain extensions, like in XP. Like say I have PowerISO, and I wan't windows to show me what is a .daa and what is an .iso. I really don't want to turn on the option to show all known file types, because I don't want to see all of them. Just ones that I chose. I know you could...
September 8th 08 09:00 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
4 344
how to reinstall public /desktop by MunkiBr
I accidentally deleted it folder and now any program i try to install it says cant acess folder public/desktop and it fails all installation -- MunkiBr
September 8th 08 08:59 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
4 321
Problem moving folders by Bob
Has anyone, maybe a MVP, heard if or when Microsoft is going to fix the problem with moving folders in the Windows Explorer? For example I have folders A, B, and C. Each had multiple subfolders. Assuming that a copy of A also exists in C and some files in A have been updated. If I attempt to move A to C I get some dialogs asking if I want to replace/skip/etc. I select to replace the files and...
September 8th 08 12:00 AM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
3 344
Host to Host USB Connections by Patrick Whittle
I bought a new computer and I want to transfer all my files from my old computer. Does Windows Vista support host-to-host? As soon as I plugged my USB cable into the computers, I was asked for a device driver. Device drivers are a pretty standard thing, but, is host-to-host not supported at Microsoft now?
September 7th 08 09:13 PM
by Patrick Whittle Go to last post
2 322
LOst disk Space after DVD burn failure by animesh_sarkar
Hi!! I tried burning a disk with vista, it gave a message of burning fail and option of "deleting the temporary burn files" i clicked on that. But my disk space has gone low and when i search the files are showing in "temporary burn folder" but i cannot delete them. I am attaching the screenshot of the same Please help!
September 6th 08 11:46 AM
by animesh_sarkar Go to last post
0 324
I miss XP's 'Move To' and 'Copy To' buttons - any fixes? by Aaron[_7_]
I realize I can can 'drag & drop' or use the Edit menu items, or any of the myriad methods available since Win3.0; but those buttons were much easier to use. Is there any easy way in Vista to have those buttons (no manual registry hacks)? Any solutions from Microsoft? Or any third party solutions?
September 6th 08 04:03 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 354
"The instruction at 0x0047237b" Error? by iflisolo
I need some help installing a program. Whenever i try to open it a pop-up comes up saying "The instruction at 0x0047237b referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read." can anyone help me to fix this? --
September 5th 08 06:14 PM
by Mike[_29_] Go to last post
2 351
System Restore by TG[_2_]
I cannot get this to work with my 750GB SATA Hard Drive - Any clues, please ? Many thanks
September 4th 08 05:32 PM
by HappyAndyK[_57_] Go to last post
4 326
Icons Do Not Show a Thumbnail of my Photographs by Brian Maskell
I have a lot of photographs on my Vista computer. When I try to find a photograph ina folder the icon does not show me what the photograph looks like. It is just a generic mountain and lake scene for every picture. How can I turn on the actual picture to be depicted in the icon of the file? Thank you for your help. Brian Maskell
September 4th 08 05:32 PM
by Godiva500 Go to last post
6 391
Vista & indexing network drives by Valisystem
According to Vista's help system in the final release, Vista does not index the contents of network shares. It also doesn't appear to ask for help from Windows Server 2003 indexing service, when those files are indexed on the server. I have not been able to discover a way to do a fast search through the full content of files in a folder on a server. Is this really true? If so, this is a huge...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 4th 08 12:12 PM
by cherokee[_3_] Go to last post
20 803
System mis-reporting disk usage by rayhorn13
I am using Windows Vista (32-bit) on my computer. Lately, I have noticed that the reported "used space" on my hard drive (via right-click/properties) keeps rising dramatically while I add very little to my computer. I then made sure that I had turned on options to show system files and hidden OS files so that I could add up the used space. What I found is that all of the files on my...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 3rd 08 02:56 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
18 484
Indexing Options / Advanced Options by Hike_Mike
Perhaps I am not using the 'help' properly with the right syntax, but I can't find any information on the advanced option for indexing file types. (how does one use help to find this by the way)... What I see are the extensions and a check box and a filter description and radio buttons below. What I want to ensure is that my email is being indexed, so I presume that is the .PST file. If I...
September 3rd 08 02:08 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 338
Read only files by moshdog
i have just recently become unable to download anything to any folder. all of my folders are set to read only and every time i try to change that setting, it switches back. i have set my permissions to full control on all files and folders, except some that come back with access denied. i have tried disabling the uac to no avail. any help on this would be greatly...
September 2nd 08 09:14 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
3 306
Why does it take over 3 minutes by [email protected]
for my restore program to show on the screen? The restore function works fine but its forever getting it to show ... TIA
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 2nd 08 09:11 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
13 456
Windows Photo Gallery missing icon by Hexaae
A pic is better than 1000 words: http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_200808/20080821111717_Senzanome.jpg I don't use registry cleaners etc. and maintain my system very clean so I really don't know when and why the WPG icon has disappeared, and only for certain panels... Everything with WPG works fine BTW, no probs with file association or whatsoever. Just the icon is wrong/missing...
September 2nd 08 04:58 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post

From The