Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Empty Burned DVDs by ESR1
Hello, I reacently burned a few DVDs from another Visa 5600 computer to use on another Vista 5600 computer, however when ever i try to use the disk it seems to be empty even though it says that the space has been used, i checked with the other computer and the disk wasnt finalized but the session was closed, but i still cant view the files now in eather computer, and due to a reacent...
October 9th 06 01:39 AM
by Larry Go to last post
4 519
0x80070050 error by jafthor
does anyone know why this is happenning or what can be done to fix it
October 9th 06 01:41 AM
by Larry Go to last post
1 956
Easy Media Creator 9 Suite by rblacher
I honestly can't remember in which newsgroup I trashed Roxio yesterday, but I'll put the amended info here. Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite will install, and seems to run fine, with RC1 Build 5728. I did so this morning on a system running 64-bit Vista and, although I haven't gotten around to it yet, a 32-bit system is probably less of a challenge. All, er, heck will break loose if you try...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 10:30 AM
by Robert Blacher Go to last post
12 825
Disk Keeper no longer supported at this time by Jim McCree
Disk Keeper is no longer support with RC1........He is Disk Keepers response to my email to there Tech Support about this..... Diskeeper currently only provides support for the Windows Vista CTP builds 5381 and 5384 with a free public beta, which can be download from our website. The regular purchase versions of Diskeeper cannot be run on Vista,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 11:17 AM
by Peter Go to last post
14 780
Cannot Drag & Drop a file from Windows Explorer to Command Prompt? by Sir_Higgins
It's the same thing for me. I can't open a command prompt windows as admin and drag a programme that i want to launch with elevated credential as i was doing in XP. It's also annoying when writing scripts. This feature was usefull to quickly have the path and filename to copy in scripts. "Sami KOZONO" wrote: I just installed Vista beta 2 (build 5384, Japanese, 32 bit).
October 10th 06 08:46 AM
by Sir_Higgins Go to last post
5 513
Thumbnails for Word, Excel, & Powerpoint Files don't display by Ethan Stone
Hi! I am using Openoffice to make these files and for some reason files using the openoffice format, text files, and pdf's all nicely display their thumbnails. On the contrary the files that are MS Word, Powerpoint, and Excel compatible are just showing the regular old openoffice icon.
October 10th 06 02:25 PM
by Ethan Stone Go to last post
0 478
Format CD-RW by sharon
HELP - can anyone tell me how to format a CD-RW so I can create, save, edit and reuse files on a CD-RW? I have tried following steps on disk management but cannot format. I need to reuse CD-RWs and all files saved are Read-Only files on the CD-RW. HELP!!!!
October 10th 06 04:47 PM
by Gene Fitz Go to last post
2 605
Please allow CTRL button to work with navigation in Vista!!! by Josh
I love how in XP, I can double click on a folder while holding down CTRL and it opens up a NEW widow at that destination. I also love how I can do this with the UP button in Explorer and it goes up a directory while opening a new Explorer window. This ability is GONE in Vista and it frustrates me to no end. PLEASE allow for the CTRL button to work again. I'd REALLY like to see this work with...
October 10th 06 06:47 PM
by Andy Webb Go to last post
2 523
Repair broken links by Kayiaxo
Hello, The link "documents" and "music" doesn't point to the folder it should and no way to change it (right click - properties doesn't bring up usual properties page) This is how it happened: I edited those links to point them to my music and document on my E drive but I changed the drive letter soon after and now I can't make documents and music links to point to the correct...
October 10th 06 08:54 PM
by Kayiaxo Go to last post
0 558
file renaming w/RC1 by ViperE6600
Is there a method for doing multiple file renames within a folder? example with Winxp you could go to start, cmd and preform a rename *.html *.txt Is there a method within Vista to do a similar function?
October 11th 06 04:06 AM
by Kevin L. Kitchens Go to last post
1 520
Search filter "qoutes" not working (RC2) by Luther
Hi, I think there is a problem with search filters in RC2. As Help states (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/73106209-6df0-432a-8cb7-df5d8ce02ec61033.mspx), it is possible to use quotes " " in search box. However, I`m sure it is NOT working. (on my machine only?) I have a comparison of search results between Vista search and Windows Desktop Search 2.6.5 in XP. WDS is...
October 11th 06 12:23 PM
by Luther Go to last post
0 507
Vista: Windows Explorer missing button for navigate up by Dan Kordik
The UP button seems to have been taken out of Vista because it is no longer necessary with the revamped explorer. You can now click on any directory in the current path and be taken there. For example if you are in the 'Users' directory, you can just click the 'Local Disk' directory in the address bar and be taken there. Or if you wish, you can click multiple levels up and be taken straight...
October 11th 06 08:13 PM
by Dan Kordik Go to last post
0 508
Virtual Store by DaddyBob
What is this thing that automatically redirects my program called the Virtual Store? I have a program that has its database saved in the Program Files folder. However, whenever my program makes a change to the database, it is NOT changed in the Program Files folder, but Vista has created a miror copy of the database in its Virtual Store folder and the changes are made there. My program...
October 12th 06 01:39 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 527
Backup and restore center by Vastloper
Before I installed Windows Vista RC 2, I made a backup of some files in Windows XP using it's own backup and restore program. This created a bkf file. This file isn't recognised, not even with online file extension service for Windows XP, while it was even made with a Windows XP tool! I tried to open it with the new Backup and Restore Center to retrieve my e-mail's and documents using...
October 12th 06 07:05 PM
by Mark D. VandenBerg Go to last post
3 468
Start Menu Customization by ekimevery
I used to collapse the Program Folders on my Start Menu so it was more organized and I would create additional sub-folders as well. I used to just drag and drop the folders but now I get a message saying that I will have to give administrative permission to do this. My user account is an administrator account and I have even tried to log on as the Administrator. It still doesn't work. I...
October 13th 06 01:28 PM
by Who Knows Go to last post
3 484
Ink Support by Luke
I am looking to decrease my paper waste and wanted to move towards digital notes. I noticed however that Onenote doesn't support "ink" which would allow me to search my notes. From what I understand, that is only supported under Tablet PC. My hope was to be able to by a pen or digitizer that I can use with my current Notebook and go that route. Is there a program that I can download that...
October 13th 06 04:25 PM
by Luke Go to last post
0 522
Error in Explorer when previewing emails by phpmaven
When I do the following: Click on the "Start" button Enter some text to search for Click on "See all results" Click on "Show only: E-mail" There is a preview pane on the right side When I hover over an e-mail message to preview, I get the following error: "Preview Handler Surrogate Host has stopped working"
October 14th 06 12:31 AM
by phpmaven Go to last post
0 455
Recursive directory size in O(1) by yoni
Hello, I haven't used Vista yet, I'm just curious. The new auto-indexing-everything concept should allow keeping record of the recursive size of a directory at all times. This means potentialy you could just select a directory while in explorer, and see the size of its entire contents. Is there something of this sort in vista?
October 14th 06 04:09 PM
by yoni Go to last post
0 498
Recursive directory size in O(1) by yoni
Hello, I haven't used Vista yet, I'm just curious. The new auto-indexing-everything concept should allow keeping record of the recursive size of a directory at all times. This means potentialy you could just select a directory while in explorer, and see the size of its entire contents. Is there something of this sort in vista?
October 14th 06 04:10 PM
by yoni Go to last post
0 475
Folder Options by GIS in Hammond
I know nothing about the new Vista operating system, so this feature could already exist. I work with a lot of different kinds of data and it would be really nice to be able to change individual folder colors. Thus, if I wanted to have a red folder for critical data, green folder for plant and animal data, brown folder for geology, etc. I can think of many ways this would enhance my Windows...
October 14th 06 09:50 PM
by GIS in Hammond Go to last post

From The