Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
XP Style search tool? by Mickey Mouse
I'm afraid I concluded that for me the Vista search tool is not for me. Is there a free XP style search tool I can download? The XP search tool was is so much easier to use. Mickey
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 26th 10 09:17 AM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
16 1,311
Windows Search service won't start by Brad
I am having a terrible experience with getting the "Windows Search" service to start/run. I would greatly appreciate advice/suggestions for finding a "fix" for it. Here are the details so far. Similarities to previously mentioned "Windows Search" service problems: When I attempt to start the "Windows Search" service manually, I get an error message box which says: "Windows could not start...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 25th 10 10:34 PM
by Rayond Go to last post
16 1,199
Find any file containing a string? by Calab
The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP... How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I don't know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all files and even the files it does index don't have the contents as searchable. I've looked in the indexing settings in the control panel and I can't see any easy way to select all and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 6th 08 09:26 AM
by Clive Lumb Go to last post
15 700
Deleting a shortcut to a program that no longer exists by Stevo
I installed a game it placed shotcut icon on desktop. Game didnt install properly so uninstalled. Now it want let me delete the shortcut as it says that it cant find the program. How do I delete this pesky shortcut? There is no security info under that tab under properties it seems there is no way to delete this shotcut file, this is rediculas!!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 12th 10 12:11 PM
by Greco Go to last post
15 1,130
Removing RootKits by cyranodesade
All, I hope this is a simple question does Formatting a Hard Drive and then FDisk /MBR remove any rootkits or hidden files on a hard drive?? If the answer is no then could you please point me to a good resource for formatting the boot sector/MBR? Thanks in advance. - CES
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 16th 07 08:12 PM
by Alun Harford Go to last post
15 331
WORD 2007 by Susan
I have created a database of names and postal addresses within WORD 2007 on my XP computer. I now have a new Vista computer and wish to transfer this database over as a workable database not as a WORD document. Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to do this? I have tried a memory stick, but once transfered the database will only open as a one page WORD document. Thanks Susan.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 17th 07 03:49 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
15 355
Folders & Docs disappeared by markaaro
so the other day I accidentally messed up something with the properties of all of my folders.... In the attributes I must have clicked on something, not sure what, but now I'm missing a great deal of information.... I tried doing a system restore, but it has only brought back a few things but not everything.... HELP! -- markaaro
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 7th 08 07:11 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
15 767
Lost Document? by Meagan Writer30
I hope someone can help with this... Yesterday, I opened a document (Office Student 2007) from my e-mail account on the web (not Outlook) I clicked "Save" repeatedly throughout the day and was never prompted to select "Save As" and when I X'd out, it did not say "Are you sure you want to close without saving?" so, I assumed all was well. However, when I went back to open it, it wasn't there. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 22nd 08 11:28 PM
by Dazed427 Go to last post
15 548
Cannot delete a file saved to my desktop by lmbolton40
A file was saved to my Vista desktop. It is a small drawing file (.dwg). About 102 KB in size. I can open it. However, I cannot delte it, copy it, or cut it. If I try to delete it, window pops up and says "RECYCLING 1 item". It churns and churns and churns. Nothing ever happens. I can rename it. Doesn't help with anyting. Is there any hope for me? mbolton40
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 11th 09 07:11 PM
by Bill Daggett Go to last post
15 720
is there some location (c.f. [CommonAppData]) where even limited users can modify/write files? by Bob Eaton
I'm having trouble porting something to Vista because my C# assembly (in the global assembly cache) needs to have a location where it can read/write/modify a file. With Administrator accounts, it works fine, but with a limited account it can't write to the location where the file is stored (which originally was in C:\Program Files\Common Files...). I tried moving it to , but on Vista (at...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 20th 07 07:25 AM
by Dominick Baier Go to last post
15 520
Tools Options File Types (verbs) by Arthur Dent
Okay, im hoping someone out there can tell me how this can still be done in Vista... I am looking for a way to do what you UsED to be able to do in any explorer window, using Tools Options File Types. Then you could take, say txt file for example, and reassociated it to your favourite editor, change the default verb to "Print", add new verbs, etc. I see in Start Default Programs, where...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 07 09:30 PM
by Go to last post
15 289
File Permissions-Yo Jimmy by Jeff
Jimmy, How do i set file permissions? When i go to propertiessecurityedit; and try to change it; I get access denied. Basically I want my admin priveledges back;in FULL; like trusted installer. Any help? Anyone's more than welcome to answer. Jeff
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 20th 06 10:34 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
15 798
I HATE vista file searching. by auser
I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow. I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s. I right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3". This list should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes. What is it looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it wouldn't look inside of the files in the folders. Another...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 8th 07 07:43 PM
by Ray Go to last post
15 332
Tag only some file types by Phillip
Was disappointed to read TXT files cannot be tagged. Guess I'll not be able to tag many of the files I wanted to e.g. html, vbs, bat. (still waiting for vista upgrade) Is there a list of common file types that can and can't be tagged? Searched Google but found nothing.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 10th 07 02:23 AM
by Daniel Noll Go to last post
15 238
navigating in windows explorer by Nita Klew
I don't see any URLs in Windows Explorer. A URL looks like this: http://www.someplace.com Are you sure you mean URLs? When you open the Navigation Pane you should see links to commonly-use folders like Documents, Pictures, Public and so forth under the Favorite Links heading. You can make that page taller or shorter by dragging the top bar on the Folder pane just below it. To remove a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 4th 07 03:51 PM
by Mike Benton Go to last post
15 431
Vista Search doesn't find files by filename by Puppy Breath
Curiouser and curiouser. It sounds like you've checked all the usual suspects. But just to make su 1. Right-click the start button and choose Properties. 2. Click Customize next to Start Menu. 3. Make sure all the Search… checkboxes are selected. I usually choose "Search this user's files" as that keeps the search index for Start menu searches relatively small.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 6th 07 10:44 AM
by Bel Ludovic Go to last post
15 336
Vista import from Outlook Express by Kim S
Even if I point to the folder where the files from OE6 i located, Win Vista claims that there i no files or folders to import. Transferring files, users and settings from XP gives the same result.. Regards, Kim
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 12th 07 11:17 PM
by Steve Cochran Go to last post
14 448
How to delete folders from previous install? by Piotr Wozniacki
Hi, This has been asked and answered many times, but none of the answers semms to work here. I started installing Vista from the XP, but for some reaosn interupted and installed from the DVD boot. Unfortunately, the old installation files were renamed "windows.old" and I can't get rid of them! Tried from both OS'es (XP and Vista); tried taking ownership; tried running a command prompt as...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 19th 06 12:20 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
14 573
Issues with "CTRL-A" etc. by m_mihai
Hello all, I have recently installed Vista, upgrading an Win XP Professional installation. I have a big problem. "Select All" in a folder doesn't work; CTRL-A doesn't work; I cannot select multiple files using CTRL or SHIFT with the mouse. Please, do you have any ideas of what may be wrong? I have searched these newsgroups, I have not find any similar issues.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 3rd 07 03:54 AM
by Keith Miller MVP Go to last post
14 386
Disk Keeper no longer supported at this time by Jim McCree
Disk Keeper is no longer support with RC1........He is Disk Keepers response to my email to there Tech Support about this..... Diskeeper currently only provides support for the Windows Vista CTP builds 5381 and 5384 with a free public beta, which can be download from our website. The regular purchase versions of Diskeeper cannot be run on Vista,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 11:17 AM
by Peter Go to last post

From The