Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Shadow copy warning on backups by William Hudson
I am using Backup Exec V11D to back up a Vista Ultimate workstation (amongst others). It started out with no problems at all, and then I began to get warnings like this in the backup job report: VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\wmdconn.cpl is not present on the snapshot The reason the file is not present on the snapshot is that it is not present on the disk!
July 23rd 07 03:54 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 192
Can't move files....need permission by MarkAChang \(Mark Chang\)
I have a shared folder called MOVIES and I have tried to move other video files to this folder but a popup advises I do not have permission to move files into the MOVIES directory. I looked up setting permission in the properties of that folder but most of the choices are greyed out. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mark
July 23rd 07 11:53 AM
by Lucvdv[_2_] Go to last post
1 159
Disk management Tool by tim
Hi, I am wondering if the Disk Management Tool is like Partition Magic,in that you can shrink and expand partitions without disturbing the files on the partition? Can it also Rename Drives?? thank you
July 23rd 07 02:01 PM
by Gunrunnerjohn Go to last post
2 222
Personal Files by David Spain
Hello, By a mistake I've erased some folders from my personal profile (downloads, documents, music...) I have nothing important there, but now I want to use them again and... Windows vista doesn't create them now!! even if I reboot the system. What can I do? If I create new folders they doesn't have the same properties (Vista doesn't recognize them as personal folders). Is there any way to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 23rd 07 03:23 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
11 236
Disabling auto arrange in Windows Explorer by Angelique
I am very, very annoyed with the automatic auto-arranging of files that the Vista version of Windows Explorer does. It's making my job very difficult and frustrating. In XP and previous versions the photos (or whatever) stayed in the same position after renaming until you manually refreshed the view. I can't find a way to turn it off the auto-arranging. Any suggestions?
July 23rd 07 04:36 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
7 276
Preventing guest users or other users seeing your files by JamesL
I am trying to prevent guest users and my kids from seeing my work files when they use my laptop. I have noticed that if you go to My Computer (Vista) while in another user account you can view ALL the files on the laptop. I don't want my kids wrecking my work. Can you tell me how to do this? James
July 23rd 07 06:36 PM
by P. Di Stolfo Go to last post
7 127
Making sure files don't download under the sidebar (Default DL pla by aguptaweb
Hi, I have a mostly aesthetic question. I moved the sidebar to the left side of the screen. When I downloaded a file, though, it got downloaded to the top-right corner of my screen. Is there a way to make it so that the files will get downloaded somewhere else, say, the middle of the screen? Thanks so much!
July 23rd 07 09:32 PM
by aguptaweb Go to last post
0 133
File back up re-backs up unchanged files by Jon
When I make a back up of my files using the back up and restore center, the system backs up the same files every time regardless of whether they were modified since the last backup or not. I think it should only back up changed or new files since the last back up. How do I fix this? -- Cheerful & Loving Life
July 23rd 07 09:50 PM
by Stijn Van De Putte Go to last post
1 131
Powerpoint File Association Problem by Dave Bolt
I just set up a PC for a client so that he could view PowerPoint presentations using the PowerPoint viewer. If he saves an attachment from an email he can then just double-click on the file and it starts in the viewer. However, from within mail he gets a message asking if he wants to open the PowerPoint file (Windows has detected the association), then is told that there is no...
July 24th 07 04:01 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
5 193
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by dave
"Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post, I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer some common questions and respond to common...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 24th 07 08:58 AM
by Robert Koechl Go to last post
18 375
Error 0x88982f50 Setting JPG File Properties by Nevet
I am trying to change file properties (title, author, date acquired, comments, etc.) on JPG files located in various folders, and receive the error message below. This happens for all JPG files in all folders but not for other types of files; I can successfully set attributes for Word, PowerPoint, and other document files in the same locations. I have tried running Windows Explorer as an...
July 24th 07 06:54 PM
by Nevet Go to last post
0 193
Can't unzip to C:\Program Files by JoRene
I find that I am unable to unzip (using Winzip) to a program file folder on my C:\ drive. I try to create a new folder and think that may be the problem, as apparently Winzip cannot create the folder due to permission problems. Is there a way to make winzip work as it did in XP so that I can unzip a program to a folder under Program Files? Now I have to unzip to my download directory,...
July 24th 07 10:39 PM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
2 158
File not in Explorer but opens anyhow by Toyman
________________________________ I was checking to see if I had a 'file association' problem with TurboCad (v.9.0). Opened Explorer and went to the 'Drawings' folder. Double-clicked a drawing file (Basement.tcw), and a nastygram popped up "Windows cannot find 'c:\program files\turbocad\drawings\basement.tcw'.". BUT the program/file immediately opened and I was able to edit and save...
July 24th 07 11:06 PM
by Toyman Go to last post
5 162
Pictures folder replicating by NodeEnocH
Ever heard of this? I have a new system loaded with Vista Home Premium. The problem starts with the Picture folder not being accessable in its original location, what happens now is that the c:\users\name\pictures\ folder looks something like this. c:\users\name\pictures\pictures\pictures\pictures\............ get the idea. It runs into about 15 or so folders. I originally thought it...
July 25th 07 08:23 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 135
Permanently deleting files by EZ
Does Vista permanently delete files when they are deleted from the recycle bin so that they can never be recovered? Thanks! -- Eddie
July 25th 07 08:48 PM
by Marcin Domaslawski Go to last post
9 197
Browsing Folders by GB
In Explorer I click a folder in the left pane and it shows the content in the right pane. If I then press the down arrow on the keyboard to select the next folder, it doesn't display the content of that folder until I press enter. This (pressing enter) wasn't required in XP's Explorer. What setting do I need to change to get the same behaviour as I had in XP? Thanks
July 26th 07 05:56 AM
by GB Go to last post
0 153
Mapped Drive Window by GB
How do I stop Explorer opening a new window when I map a drive? Thanks
July 26th 07 06:00 AM
by GB Go to last post
0 147
Show Color Space either RGB or CMYK by Ben Opit
Is it at all possible to see with all the other exif data the color space used on a file. I mean do i have to open photoshop to see if its save in CMYK
July 26th 07 11:26 AM
by Ben Opit Go to last post
0 148
Moving Document folder (pictures folder) etc to a network drive by jereviscious
Hello. I'm a system administrator who is evaluating Vista for the first time to see if it is worth deploying across our company. We need new machines, and I would like to take advantage of the newest technology. This is very peculiar behavior that I have encountered when trying to change the location of the "Documents" folder on windows Vista to a network drive: I will preface this by...
July 26th 07 02:39 PM
by jereviscious Go to last post
0 147
Can't delete a video file from desktop by nLinked
I have a file on my desktop called gv.com.gamesforwindows_640x360.mov. It was a video about gaming. It's 45.5 MB and I can't get it to delete. Right-clicking it and doing Properties doesn't open the Properties window. If I move it to the recycle bin (with the keyboard delete button or the mouse, or Shift and Delete) the "Calculation time remaining" delete dialogue comes up and the progress...
July 26th 07 03:13 PM
by Paul MacFarlane[_2_] Go to last post

From The