Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Problem with using search box in Vista?? by tonytoff
Hi Guys, really annoyed that sometimes when I click on "computer" then type in a name of one of my files in the top right hand search box my system crashes! The screen goes grey and a warning comes up saying something like "internet explorer/windows has stopped working" then something like "windows will close the programme" (typical, wont do it now I want it to do it) but its really annoying...
July 20th 08 04:01 PM
by tonytoff Go to last post
4 238
folder contents open on desktop- can't close by chrisbe
While I was away, my mother was using my computer and now there is a pane open on my desktop showing the contents of one of my desktop folders. I can't figure out how to close it. I can expand and shrink it, but there is nothing to allow me to close it. I don't know how it got like that. I've tried restarting my computer, right clicking in the pane, opening the folder again to see if...
July 20th 08 01:27 PM
by LeeTutor[_2_] Go to last post
1 240
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Ernst
Exellent explanation Jimmy. Thank You. I now, after months of using Vista and hours of searching the net, understand the basic reasoning behind all my suffering. It makes a lot of sense and I will definitely make myself a seperate user account for daily use. Having said this I do not believe Microsoft is going to get the everage Joe to go through such a steep learning curve. Also, giving a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 20th 08 10:29 AM
by Ernst Go to last post
12 440
Hidden files by Buster52
I am new to vista. When I run a file scan it shows files that I can not open or delete. It shows the space used. How do I delete, move or open these files. I would like to have the space. Buster
July 20th 08 05:41 AM
by Buster52 Go to last post
4 244
Folder Options no longer available in Vista? by Dave
My camera and many other USB products CANNOT be detected by Windows Vista, but can normally be detected by PCs using Windows XP or any other OS. The reason is Vista tries to be smart and recognizes my Folders as Applications (i.e. ~.exe) instead. I tried to change my Folder Options to display extension, so that I can overcome that myself. But Vista again tries to act smart and provides many...
July 20th 08 12:01 AM
by Dave Go to last post
3 257
Arbitrary ordering of files by doryon
I would like to put the files in a folder into an arbitrary order, then append numerical or alphabetic prefixes to the filenames so that, in the future, sorting the files by name will recaprture the assigned order. Does anyone know of a utility that'll help in doing this? Regards, Yon
July 19th 08 07:55 PM
by doryon Go to last post
0 186
lost show folders option by paul
Hi, I just recently lost my "show hidden files and folders"option in file view option.Usually I should have 2 option in hidden files, one show hidden files and one hide hidden files and folders. And now I have only one option which already selected "Hide hidden files" so I don't have an access to my hidden folders now, please help
July 19th 08 01:16 PM
by Brink Go to last post
5 230
Is it possible in "computer" to view files from top to bottom in 1st column then same again in next column to the right etc? by J[_6_]
Hi, I cant seem to change the list of files from left to right,and then onto the next line down,then left to right again. THANKS
July 19th 08 01:23 AM
by Nonny Go to last post
3 183
Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista by geezerdiamond
Hi there, I'm new to this forum (and Vista!) and have a slight problem... I had a PC with XP and Office 2007 installed - this PC recently died (motherboard went) so I bit the bullet and bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium on it. Once up and running and with Office 2007 installed, I put the hard drive from my old PC in, copied the Outlook.pst and Outlook.nk2 files
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 08 10:54 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
10 322
Deleting 0 byte files by Kevin B.
I have a couple files with 0 bytes. Windows will not let me delete them. It keeps telling me they are not there. But they keep showing up as 0 bytes. Any help?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 08 10:40 PM
by psyco[_2_] Go to last post
10 356
Missing shell32.dll by Crowder
hey all, its too bad my first post here had to be about this but i cant figure out any way to fix this. i was trying to install a new theme to my computer and the last thing i had to do was add the browserui.dll, and shell32.dll file to the system32 folder. well i did that and i restarted and now at the log in screen i get "this application failed to start because shell32.dll was not found." and...
July 18th 08 09:32 PM
by Blankblank Go to last post
2 345
Bug report: Restoring minimized window loses focus on the file pan by wellhole
Bug report: Restoring minimized window loses focus on the file panel. I used Alt-Tab to do this. This is not an SP1 issue but still occurs with SP1 installed. Tested on Windows Vista Ultimate x64 but will occur on other Vista editions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click...
July 18th 08 07:48 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
1 216
Vista full text search extremely limited? by pcartier[_2_]
I am going crazy trying in Vista to execute a simple search for a string of text in all files of a particular type, something I used to do very often in earlier versions of Windows! It appears that to do this I have to: (a) first type in the file type (eg *.doc) and wait for that to deliver results .. (b) then type in the search string and click on "Search in File Contents" to trigger a second...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 08 04:03 PM
by pcartier[_7_] Go to last post
10 564
Organising folders in Explorer by Wildman
When I open Windows explorer it opens at the start menu and I have to scroll up to get to my 'documents' . At the top of the left pane I have 'Desktop' followed by 'user name' followed by 'public' followed by Compuer, which i spread out in all its glory. I would like to change it so that 'user name ' is opened up and Computer is closed so that I have 'Documents' under my user name on the...
July 18th 08 09:05 AM
by Brink Go to last post
7 268
Search doesn't work in hidden system folders? by DB
If I make a folder +h +s, the search function no longer does anything when I browse into that folder and type something in the search bar. It doesn't say there are no results, it just does nothing. Not even in advanced search. Is this a bug? Is there a way around this? I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
July 18th 08 06:36 AM
by DB Go to last post
3 269
Flip 3d - Anyway to keep it active at all times by demiller66
If I open a window while flipping through all the open windows, suddenly Flip 3d has turned off. When I reduce the file, everything is back in standard format, and I have to hit the switch between windows button again to get back to flip 3d. Is there a way to keep Flip 3d on, so when you close or reduce the window that you have chosen, every window is still organized in the Flip 3d...
July 17th 08 08:25 PM
by Dragger[_2_] Go to last post
4 210
Vista redux ( ree ducks ) fair and balanced ReadyBoost by NetLink_Blue
I have whined and complained about Vista on this newsgroup -- and want to add a bit of positive perspective. On balance, Vista is stable and runs smoothly on my computer. There are tons of new features, menus and secret moves and compartments to explore. I am constantly discovering sensible "nice touches" to GUI and computer moves. While mastering file / folder permissions is daunting and...
July 17th 08 03:39 PM
by NetLink_Blue Go to last post
0 200
sync by barb mc
how do you set up partnerships with sync, I have no partnerships on sync center -- barbmc
July 17th 08 04:44 AM
by barb mc Go to last post
0 338
password protecting files and folders by tnuts
i can't seem to figure out how to password protect anything on my computer. is there a way to set up files or folders so that u have to type in a password to access content? -- tnuts
July 17th 08 01:11 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
4 253
Icons by Terry
I have created new Icons on my desktop for certain websites and have set pictures for them as an icon. Four of the icons, are not working properly because their pictures are not showing and instead it is just showing a page with the Internet symbol infront of it. I have tryed to resolve the problem by going into the properties and re-setting the icons picture and I have tryed deleting and...
July 17th 08 12:59 AM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post

From The