Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Open multiple .txt files by tslairby
Unlike previous versions of windows, Vista is not allowing me to open a large number of text files for editing. There are logistical reasons for doing so, so please tell me how I can. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 29th 07 07:15 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
12 192
One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW! by Oldgoat
Did you attempt to move your User folders there? No. Who, Where or What are 'User Folders'. I started with a blank, formatted disk partition called D: and to this drive I copied, from a dvd-rw several thousand files and 12 Folders. Worked great. But in each of the 12 folders I need to create at least 50 sub folders within each of the 12 main folders. The 12 main folders are not locked, write...
July 30th 07 07:26 AM
by brink[_103_] Go to last post
2 135
Vista Instant Search from Start Menu not working by Frank
The instant search function from the start menu always worked fine until a couple days ago... Now it doesn't find any e-mails or documents any more. I already rebuild the index but didn't help either. In the seperate explorer window or outlook itself everything works just fine. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks Frank
July 30th 07 11:36 AM
by Frank Go to last post
0 151
restoring previous versions BEFORE A CORRUPTION occurred to PST fi by CHRISTOPHER61958
I have had this same problem 3 times since gettin Vista in Feb 2007...somehow my Outlook and attached pst file get corrupted and then Outlook and that pst file become un-openable, un-useable, etc. Twice I have had tech people unistall entire Office 2007 and reinstall the Vista operatin systems and then reinstall Office 2007 to get things to work again. Problem is the pst file cannot be...
July 30th 07 06:30 PM
by CHRISTOPHER61958 Go to last post
0 126
XP permission on dual boot system? by Gareth
I have a dual boot system using 2 hard drives - XP (Home) on one and Vista on the other. My XP install is not password protected in terms of user logins (it's for ease of use family access). When I boot in to Vista and try to access my XP "My Documents" folder (and some other folders) I'm told that I don't have permission to access the XP folder(s). I'm using administrator rights in both XP...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 30th 07 08:28 PM
by Gareth[_2_] Go to last post
10 302
Vista Complete PC Backup Image Folder? by Steve Mavronis
Just did a Complete PC Backup last night, worked pretty cool. Just a question because I'm curious about it. I'm sure all is well. I noticed afterwards that the backup on my external hard drive was in a folder that Explorer says is empty? Drive properties pie chart shows it taking up space. I'm assuming is just a virtual disk thing. Double-checking because I don't want to get to the point of...
July 31st 07 02:25 AM
by Eduardo Laureano [MSFT] Go to last post
2 132
"Open File Location" in Search Results opens Recent Items Folder by dorjen1
I am using Windows Vista Business. Whenever I search for files using Vista Search, it often returns documents present in the "Recent Items" folder. When I click on these items, they successfully open up with the appropriate program. However, if I right click on them and select "Open file location," it opens the recent items folder instead of the folder where the file is actually located. ...
July 31st 07 05:13 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
5 150
Windows Vista Tips and Tricks ! by [email protected]
What's Inside Vista: The Best of Vista's New Tools, Tweak Security Settings in XP and Vista, Change Vista's Defaults, Hidden tools will help you get maximum performance, Networking Vista,Using USB keys to improve Vista performance and many more at... http://vista-tricks-tips.blogspot.com
August 1st 07 03:11 AM
by Malke Go to last post
1 136
View sync status before perform the sync actions with Vista offlinefiles by Chau Chee Yang
Hi, I use Briefcase in Windows XP and are quite happy with it. The briefcase in windows XP able to report the file status (up-to-date or need updating) in windows explorer. I can know from the file/folder status immediately if the file has changed by me locally or other in the file server. When click the Update/Update All, I can further see the suggested action and I can choose the...
August 1st 07 06:54 AM
by Chau Chee Yang Go to last post
0 143
Getting rid of a dialogue box on-screen by THELMA713
Recently I installed a PC game and filled out the registration form on-line. The next day when I booted up a large dialogue box appeared on my screen that said: please choose which program you want to open this in. At the top of the box it said Myst Uru Registration. The game is called Myst Uru Chronicles. I do not know what happened or what this means. I have tried un-installing the game,...
August 1st 07 12:12 PM
by THELMA713 Go to last post
2 155
Moved Contacts folder to Windows Directory and cant move it back by Matt M.
I had the intention of moving the Contacts folder location into the Windows directory, but instead i made the Windows directory the Contacts folder! Now I cant change it back. Thanks Matt
August 1st 07 03:25 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
1 135
File Extensions. by Gene K
New to Vista (have Vista Ultimate). Where do you find find the list of file extensions plus the default program which handles that extension? In XP, I once had a program which managed extensions. It would block any attempt to change an association UNLESS an administrator concurred. Know of anything which might do the same for Vista. Gene K W -- Gene K
August 1st 07 04:45 PM
by brink[_143_] Go to last post
1 133
SendTo shortcuts? by CadWizard
First, I'd like to thank Dave for the link to add Copy To and Move To shortcuts to the context menu. For me that's perfect, I'm a context menu freak. I'll have re-train the rest of the company though. Okay, so why can't I save shortcuts in my SendTo folder I keep getting an access denied message? I've written several small utility apps in Visual Basic to help with all of the duties I have to...
August 1st 07 10:08 PM
by CadWizard Go to last post
4 165
Using Briefcase in Vista is very slow by Chau Chee Yang
Hi, I used Briefcase in windows XP for few years. I have a briefcase of 15 folders and about 4000 files inside those folders. When opening the briefcase, it only took me few seconds to get the 15 folders status (either up-to-date or need updating). In Vista Business, the same briefcase took me about 3 minutes to get the 15 folders status.
August 2nd 07 07:15 AM
by Chau Chee Yang Go to last post
0 186
One simple task - Create and rename a folder - HOW! by Oldgoat
Malke, sorry about the incomplete info. I have partitioned the HD. Drive C: I have the OS. I don't touch that part. Drive D: I have all my pics, videos etc. When I try to create new folders on D: I get the 'File or Folder' does not exist and the folder is still created with the name New Folder and each new folder is given the next higher number:
August 2nd 07 10:31 AM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
2 147
drives by hannah
i cannot find cd drive
August 2nd 07 11:30 AM
by Malke Go to last post
1 265
drives by hannah
i cant find my cd drive
August 2nd 07 04:00 PM
by Tim Go to last post
3 291
How do I delete "moved" files? by Anthony M.
I am running Vista Home Prem and recently purchased a Seagate FreeaAgent Go drive to use as some extra storage. For some reason I could not (after hours of help with the Seagate help desk) get My Documents folder to sync. The folders were there but none of them contained any files. I moved the My Documents folder directly onto my "C" drive. I cut and pasted the folder then renamed it. ...
August 2nd 07 04:14 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 135
Folder shortcuts in Vista? by Jeff Vandervoort
Windows 2000 & XP supported a somewhat obscure feature called Folder Shortcuts. Since it's a bit of an obscure feature...please let me clarify I am NOT describing a shortcut to a folder! Unlike a shortcut to a folder, Windows adds a Folder Shortcut to its namespace. It appears in the "Save In" dropdown in file dialogs, and in the left pane treeview in Explorer, just like My Documents, Control...
August 2nd 07 11:20 PM
by Jeff Vandervoort Go to last post
2 130
CompressedZip Icon by Zip Icon
Hello, I've read all of the threads on reassociating .zip files with zipfixvista.reg. My problem is that I've accidentally associated my zip files with a music program that I'm currently using. I used the reg key fixer but the icons are still that of my music program. I uninstalled the program and re-merged the reg key but the icons are still the same. Does anyone know if it's possible to...
August 3rd 07 04:16 AM
by dean-dean Go to last post

From The