Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Accessing files from a CD-R by Robyn S
I've just tried to access some photos on a CD-R that I have previously viewed on an old pc. When I insert the disk into the DVD drive, the correct file shows up, but shows nothing in it. Just looking for some advice on how I can access these pictures please! (I use Vista - can't remember which version!)
July 16th 08 11:23 PM
by oscar Go to last post
1 234
DVD-RW by sk8ermichi
Could you please activate Drag'n'Drop for formatted DVD-RWs in the Windows Explorer? Everytime I try to drag a file into the DVD's directory, there is a red circle and I can't paste the file. But if I create a new file, it works. If I try to save files with other applications, they can also save them on the DVD. So I think that there is only a problem of permission for the explorer to paste...
July 16th 08 04:01 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
1 338
File Types & Folder Templates by febbert
Hi everyone, The folder template scheme in Vista is intriguing: always remember pictures as extra large, docs as list, etc ... So here's the next question: can you specify which file types qualify as a picture or a doc. Thanks!
July 16th 08 10:01 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 218
Use of These Newsgroups by John Ciccone
Is there a Discussion Group somewhere dedicated to use of these groups? - I normally select "Notify me of replies". I'll get an email with two links (one to "Read the Response" and another to "Continue receiving notifications for this thread...". Lately it seems clicking on either of these links runs Internet Explorer with a long URL, but a blank page. Copying and Pasting the URL doesn't...
July 15th 08 04:59 PM
by John Ciccone Go to last post
3 214
my files are gone by joriesmama
All of my personal files listed on the c drive are unaccessable. The folder for documents is there, pictures, but when I open the folder the message is that the folder is empty. When I right click to get the properties there appears that the stuff is there, I just cannot access it. If I open Excel or Word I can access the most recently used files but when I save them to the same location, I am...
July 15th 08 10:08 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
7 258
Question
Overview of Vista File Management vs. XP by ktpardue
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am pleased there is such a forum to answer Vista questions. I have owned Vista Ultimate since it came out, but have not used it until now. I am trying to get used to the the way Vista manage files. Can someone succinctly explain why Vista frequently denies me the ability to move, copy, cut, and paste files across folders? With XP this was never an issue. I am...
July 15th 08 06:56 AM
by Ernst Go to last post
7 380
attach pictures to emails by wombat
Hi Guys, In Vista when I click on a picture then select the email (to attach to email) tab it opens Outlook, how can I stop this heppening? I want it to open a program called Win Mail and send my emails from there with the picture attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards wombat
July 15th 08 06:44 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
4 213
diverting directories makes the target disappear by Ernst
I am using a Dutch version of Vista, so apologies for possibly not using the correct terminology. But Vista allows users to divert, to re-locate the storage of the personal directories such as Documents and Pictures to another disk than the c-drive. However, when I follow the instructions of the helpfile and point Vista to the directory I would like to use, this target directory then becomes...
July 15th 08 02:47 AM
by RH Go to last post
1 269
explorer moves files, but doesn't remove source folders by seth
Has anyone noticed that when moving a folder structure in explorer, it will move all the files and keep the structure intact, but not deleted the original folders? If I move, say 20 folders in a tree from one system to another, I see the exact folder structure on the second machine and all the files. However on the first machine, it deletes the files, but leaves the empty folders for me to...
July 14th 08 05:25 PM
by aaron Go to last post
1 187
How to organize documents? by Carol
I like to have my documents grouped by type and I accidentally un-did it! Can anyone tell me how to reorganize my documents by type? I have gone into the "view" menu, but "organize by type" isn't an option like it was in XP. Thanks for any help.
July 14th 08 02:06 PM
by Carol Go to last post
2 207
Search Index by Milo[_3_]
How long does it take the search index to complete. I would like to search file for content in my computer. The index automatically builds Outlook, Users, etc, but other locations I have entered like a partitioned D: drive (data files) and External K: drive (backup and historical files) will not yield results without checking "search non indexed locations". This takes quite a while even...
July 14th 08 09:56 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 220
cannot delete old DOS file by Robert Francis[_2_]
I have an old DOS file on my computer called Mona.exe which is only 41KB. It was basically a little joke program which made the Mona Lisa lose her top. Anyway, I thought I had deleted it long ago but I recently noticed that it had been transferred to my new Vista system along with several other files from my old computer. But when I try to delete Mona.exe Vista tells me that it can't...
July 14th 08 04:42 AM
by Robert Francis[_2_] Go to last post
3 203
Search results unreliable by Nitro
I had two wab files, one in a folder under my user folder, and one under my AppData\Local\Microsoft\Address Book. I tried searching for *.wab on my c drive and "everywhere". I included non-indexed, hidden and system files. The search did not find the wab file under AppData\Local\Microsoft\Address Book. I then searched specifically in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Address Book and found it. I...
July 14th 08 04:37 AM
by Patrick Keenan Go to last post
3 215
Unhappy
Missing Search Option on Right click in Explorer by Dr DOS
For some reason the "Search" Option now longer never shows when I right click on a folder, drive letter etc. All other alternatives that should be there are available as they should. Could someone assist in how to enable this again. Windows register setting???
July 14th 08 03:26 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 217
Search inside files skips php files? by Hare
I have thousands of html, javascript and php files and I'm looking for files that contain a specific string. If I search the folder containing the files I can see all the .html and .js files but the search doesn't show any of the ..php files even though there are plenty of files with the string inside. How can I force the search to look inside php files. I've already added .php to the...
July 13th 08 11:40 PM
by therompalace Go to last post
2 187
My Labtop Won't Recognize Any Discs by /AW/
I have a Satellite A305-S6843 Labtop. Wheneve I put in a CD it doesnt show up in the Computer file, as in I can't see it as a file like on my real PC at home. So, the only CDs that I can use are ones that startup by themselves, and not even all of those work. So I'm wondering how do I open files on these CDs or play the games on these CDs , or even just be able to see them on my Labtop.
July 13th 08 10:13 PM
by Xenomorph Go to last post
3 261
Want file explorer to Always default to Details view by pilotplanes
I use my computer as a professional. Therefore the Vista file explorer needs to always show the details view of a folder regardless of folder content. In a business environment it looks amateurish to see a ratings column with stars because there happens to be an MP3 file in there. If I should want a pictures or music view, then just let me choose that manually. I looked around for a FAQ but...
July 13th 08 09:57 PM
by Gene Hora Go to last post
4 269
Starts itself from Sleep & Hibernate by John Sisker
For some reason, both Sleep and Hibernate, while still working, will take themselves out of that mode every 10 to 30 minutes. It never did that before. What happened and how do I fix? John
July 13th 08 07:33 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 222
Make a vista themes by logu.haritham
Hi anyone can help me how to make a vista themes using resource hacker. thanks for advance reply.. Loganathan K --
July 13th 08 06:22 PM
by HappyAndyK[_5_] Go to last post
1 250
Windows Explorer and Microsoft Photo Editor by Ian Johnson
I have saved a number of jpeg files from a web site and I can see them in the folder on my hard disk when I use Photo Editor, but most of them are not visible when I open the same folder with Windows Explorer (nor when I look in the same folder using all files in MS Word). Moreover, they do not appear to have been moved when I used Explorer to copy the folder on to my back-up disk. I am...
July 13th 08 02:45 PM
by Ian Johnson Go to last post

From The