Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista - default grouping of files by campingshadow
In Vista -Windows Explorer - some of my file folders (right side of window) are defaulting to being grouped by name (alphabetized in groups). I want the default for ALL folders to be Details. How do I change the default setting for all folders? I have tried doing so under Views...set all folders to be the same as this one....but it does not stick! Also...when opening WE....My computer...
July 13th 08 09:28 AM
by Gordon Go to last post
3 225
how to recover deleted partition in windows vista ultimate by raju
Hello, (My computer configuration: Intel core2duo processor, Intel 945GCNL Mother board, 512MB RAM, 160 GB seagate harddisk.) I am from India, I have recently installed windows vista ultimate in my computer(before I used xp proffessional). I have accidently deleted a partition about 74.2GB size in which some important data around 12.89 GB size. I have searched around the net, but the...
July 12th 08 08:20 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
2 224
Trouble copying files to external device on Windows Vista. by Robedom
Hello everyone, I have just recently tried transfering files to an external device. The device that I am trying to transfer to is a Playstation Portable (PSP) handheld gaming device. The problem that occurs happends when I drag and drop the file into the psp drive on my computer. It shows the file being copied and the time remaining says "calculating" but the time is never calculated. After...
July 12th 08 04:44 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
3 196
Help saving files to last folder saved to! by Raptor7
I work with thousands of photos and use an external hard drive. Everytime I want to save a picture Vista always goes to "My pictures". XP always went back to the last folder that I saved to. I cannot figure out how to make Vista return to the same folder. It is extremely time consuming to go back through the whole procedure just to get back where I was. How can I change Vista so I do...
July 12th 08 03:25 PM
by John Amendall Go to last post
4 317
Files Overlap in Folder? by LynxBlade
Hey guys, this problem (as the thread name suggests) started happening to me about 5 days ago. Usually when I paste things into a folder, if I want to add more files to the folder, per se, the folder "expands" or nudges the files over so that it makes room for the newly added files. My folders aren't doing that anymore. Instead, when I paste something new into a folder, it overlaps on the...
July 12th 08 01:58 PM
by LynxBlade Go to last post
3 305
Need Help with a technical problem in media player. by bLuFoX219
Hello, im trying to rip a cd with 6 songs on it. All 6 songs are from 6 different artists. I want each song to go into its own rightful album but every time i rip the cd it rips all tracks as one album. Also when i try to change import the album and track information for an individual track, it changes all the tracks that were on the cd. Im stumped and frustrated, cant figure out what to do.
July 11th 08 01:20 PM
by LynxBlade Go to last post
1 287
start menu arrow cut off by krw96
hi. when i open my start menu, the arrow next to the lock button is cut off, and it is getting to be very annoying. is there any way to fix this?
July 10th 08 11:30 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 188
I can't change a thing; by Teddygrams
I just bought a new HP from Staples... I is was floor model. I renamed it to my name, but there is a hidden Staples folder witch I have found. So I tired to rename that file but it wont Let me. I think I know why it must be a systems file that I need to change... or some other weird thing. So please some one help me--- -- If I only Lesioned in school...
July 10th 08 10:19 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
2 242
In Vista Home Premium - Can not copy, move, rename or delete a fil by Peteer
Hello, My problem is this: - In Windows EXPLORER (resource manager) I cannot copy, move, rename or delete some files. - Copy or move -commands leads to normal "counting time..." -dialog, after that nothing happens. Dialog stays and resource manager is not taking any further commands. - Rename or delete -commands halts Explorer immediately the same way, but without some dialog or error...
July 10th 08 08:55 AM
by Peteer Go to last post
0 255
E-mail threading & subsequent copying by Henry
I like to copy some e-mail exchanges & attachments I receive from clients. I recently installed Office Outlook 2007 and have been unable to copy or "save as" & place in client folders. Also is there a simple way of threading e-mails? Keeping client e-mails in the order in which they were written & responded to & subsequently saving selected threaded e-mails to their folder in My Documents...
July 9th 08 10:40 PM
by DL Go to last post
2 206
Vista Search Fails to Initialize by HHantu
Hi For some reason my Vista search has stopped working completely. The service is still running though. Everytime i run the search i get the error message "search fails to initialize". Can anyone help pls. Thanks.
July 9th 08 08:32 PM
by HHantu Go to last post
4 314
Cd burning by all4kaleb
I am trying to burn pictures on a cdrw, so that I can add them later. Well, I went thru one burn and then put the cd back in to burn some more pictures on it and it won't let me. Now it don't even recognize the pictures that were already burnt on it. My computer is brand new(only 2 months old) I have burned millions of pictures on windows xp, so I have an idea of what I am doing. In...
July 9th 08 08:20 PM
by cbrenth Go to last post
5 200
File association and comand line info by verisap
Hi I'm new to Vista and I'm struggling with a problem. In XP I used to be able to edit how an application opened when you double clicked on a file association in XP I did: - file Explorer / view / options / File types / - Select the file type - press Advanced - / edit/ open /edit
July 9th 08 05:34 PM
by verisap Go to last post
0 159
Moving documents folder and backup by DonH
I'm having trouble getting my mindset to change from XP to Vista Pro SP1. I had to clean install XP too many times and routinely moved all data to its own partition. When doing a clean install of Vista, I did the same. Documents, Pictures, Music all point to D:\New Folder (with the green documents icon visible on D:), D:\New Folder2, and D:\New Folder 3. I have 2 questions. 1) Can I do...
July 9th 08 04:18 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
6 221
Missing Documents by brenia1591
I started up my laptop this morning its only 4 months old, and the desktop was completely different and I somehow lost all my pictures, stories, and everything else. But I still have all my yahoo, AIM, and MSN messengers. And I got a message saying You are now logged on apparently to a temporary log in. What does that mean? How can I get all my missing stuff back? -- brenia1591
July 9th 08 04:11 PM
by brenia1591 Go to last post
0 162
Outlook 2007, copy e-mails to folders by Henry
First time user, not sure I have posted in the right discussion group. For ease of reference, I like to copy selected e-mails & attachments to client folders. I recently installed Office Outlook 2007 and am unable to find a way to copy & paste or "save as", in order to place an e-mail(s) in folder(s) in my documents. Thanks, Henry
July 9th 08 02:15 PM
by Henry Go to last post
0 155
retrieve files from backup dvd by joyy Fisherman
I have a new HP, less than 2 months old, that has daily problems. The operating systems is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I backed up the data on DVD using backup and restore center. After making that back up the bios of the machine was updated and then a full system recovery was done. The computer no longer recognizes the backup DVDs as coming from this computer.
July 9th 08 01:53 PM
by joyy Fisherman[_2_] Go to last post
2 211
administrative shares by Brian[_17_]
Hi, i have a home newtork... two pc's and a laptop, behind a router. I've always just used the administravtive share with xp, how do i get that administrative share on vista ... or get to the files on the vista box from my xp machines. All machines are in a workgroup with the same username and password for a certain account.
July 9th 08 05:20 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 190
vista backup restore by robm
"I am running Vista 32bit. My PC has two hard disks and I backup to the second one drive D. I have had a problem that resulted in reloading Vista. When I now try to restore the backup it says "files made on a different computer - there are no backups on this computer". I can see the backup on drive D!!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 9th 08 04:26 AM
by Sushil Baid [MSFT] Go to last post
13 585
Weird problem in "c:\users" folder by FIN_TJ
I have to do restore point couple times, because of I had problem with activation issues. Nevertheless, now I can´t access to my files in C:\users folder. When I open for example C:\Users\Admin\Documents folder, I can´t see all the files. Almost every file has disappeared. But when I´m trying search them, Vista finds them. I can see them in searh result, but cannot open. Is the access...
July 9th 08 12:52 AM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post

From The