Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
IMPORTANT FLAW: accidentally deleting folders by Alexander
This is a quite important flaw: When renaming a folder (f.e. after pressing F2 to rename), the keyboard Delete key does not delete a character in the filename but erases the whole file!! This is not the case when renaming files instead of folders.
October 15th 06 09:33 AM
by Roberto Baggio Go to last post
4 483
Searching for names with parenthesis in them by Al
1. Quite wonderfully when I drag the JPG's out of my temp internet folder into a permanent location it asks me how to handle the duplicates. I save them and let Vista name them. They end up with (2).jpg at the end of the name. 2. What I haven't figured out how to do is search for just those files. (2) doesn't hack it because ( and ) have a special meaning. It gets any file with 2 in it. ...
October 15th 06 09:43 AM
by Roberto Baggio Go to last post
1 477
Denied Permission to windows.old files! PLEASE HELP! by lionel
When I try to access my documents in windows.old (to copy to Vista my documents) I get the message: "You have been denied premission to access this folder" so I click the security tab and get "The requested information is either unavaiable or cannot be displayed" I am using the administrator account!
October 15th 06 02:58 PM
by Richard Hay Go to last post
4 591
Location setting inconsistent by BigBNY
I changed the Location of my special folders (music, documents, pictures, etc...). I did this by right-clicking and selecting properties of the folder and then changing the path on the Location tab. I originally did this from my User directory... c:\Users\BigB\Music The first time I did this it appeared to work. However when I right-clicked the folder again the Location tab was no longer...
October 15th 06 08:04 PM
by BigBNY Go to last post
0 472
Windows Explorer - Properties - Details by David J. Craig
Windows Explorer - Properties - Details: Why doesn't it work in 64-bit Vista with Microsoft's own drivers?
October 15th 06 09:41 PM
by David J. Craig Go to last post
2 464
Windows Folder by David Hankinson
I'm still trying to figure out how to copy or drag a file into my Windows folder under RC2. It won't allow me even if I sign on as Admin. David
October 16th 06 01:35 AM
by David Hankinson Go to last post
0 500
Folder permissions and missing files by KP
When I updated from windows xp my "my music" folder seemed to be the only one that had security permissions preventing me from accessing the folder..I have permission now but all my music is gone, but my disc space is still the same as if I had all the music still. What do I do?
October 16th 06 10:43 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 496
Can't drag to Notepad run as Administrator by Nick Payne
If I run Notepad as Administrator, then I can't drag a text file from an ordinary Explorer window and have it appear. The Notepad window remains blank. If I also run Explorer as Administrator, then it works. I found this out while trying to add an entry to the hosts file. Nick
October 17th 06 07:17 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
3 557
Customize Windows Explorer toolbar by jesusg
In previous versions of Windows the user was able to customize the buttons appeiring in the toolbar (One of the very first customizations I use to do in any new install of XP is to add the 'Cut/Copy/Paste' buttons). This feature is missing in Vista, replaces by the damned 'Organize', the 'Views Selector' and the vital :) 'Burn' button. I think the user has to be able to customize his work...
October 18th 06 04:31 PM
by jesusg Go to last post
0 570
Unaccessible folders by DaddyBob
There are many folders with shortcut arrows on them that have access denied. Are all these all folders that are there for legacy purposes and have been replaced by other folders in Vista? If so, what are these now caled? History? Temp Internet Files? Send To? Start Menu? And is there a list somewhere that tells what all these unaccessible folders
October 19th 06 12:29 AM
by Lightfoote Go to last post
3 531
Windows Explorer Crashes When Viewing NAS by pennhaven
I've noticed with both RC1 and RC2 that attempting to view or operate on the directory structure on my Buffalo LinkStation NAS results in Windows Explorer crashing. The directory tree structure on the NAS is multi-level and it seems that Explorer can not handle drilling down more than 2 or sometimes 3 levels. While the LinkStation uses linux as its OS, there is absolutley no problem using...
October 19th 06 03:34 PM
by pennhaven Go to last post
2 529
C:\Users\all users\start menu - DENIED by James
Hi people i try to access to C:\Users\all users\start menu with a admin acompte, without UAC activate and i got this error - access is denied ! Why ! and how access to start menu config for all users ? thx a lot
October 19th 06 06:04 PM
by James Go to last post
2 710
Incorrect search results by Nick Payne
Vista RC2. If I search for files named cvd.*, the search windows returns files such as CVDPipeLine.dll, which should only be returned if I had searched for cvd*.* Nick
October 20th 06 01:40 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
0 553
Window Explorer LOST! by Sailfish
JonK" wrote: Hi, I was limited to safe mode when I was having the problem. Once I got into normal mode I found the search worked a lot better. I also found you can still right click My Computer as before and get windows explorer as before. Jon "21stcenturyfox" wrote:
October 20th 06 05:05 AM
by Sailfish Go to last post
0 498
File Permissions-Yo Jimmy by Jeff
Jimmy, How do i set file permissions? When i go to propertiessecurityedit; and try to change it; I get access denied. Basically I want my admin priveledges back;in FULL; like trusted installer. Any help? Anyone's more than welcome to answer. Jeff
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 20th 06 10:34 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
15 798
Copying files asks to overwrite.. by Fuzion
So far everytime I copy a file whether it be locally or from a network location, the files copy, then it pops up with a window asking if I want to overwrite the files.. the files are already there; it's like Windows is trying to copy it again.. I am running Vista RC1.. Has anyone else encountered this problem??
October 20th 06 02:16 PM
by Gerbs Go to last post
1 463
item search by Larry
How do I search for an item in a file in a folder? In other words, like the search mechanism in WinXP There dosen't seem to be a method to fiind an item in a file in a folder of files. Have I missed something?
October 21st 06 11:57 AM
by Phoenix Chow Go to last post
2 491
Slow by Stuart Nathan
Vista RC1 Build 5600 4 hours 43mins to finish unzipping WPFSamples.zip??? I have a 2.4GHz Celeron and 1.25Gb Ram 54GB free on hard drive
October 21st 06 06:57 PM
by Keith Go to last post
1 557
"Open with" fails with Visual Studio 2005 by Nick Payne
Because of the way that VS operates its shortcut is setup to run as Administrator (this is done by Vista when installing VS, not by me). If I double-click on a source file in Windows Explorer, or right click on it and select Open With / VS, I get an error msgbox saying "Windows cannot find filename". If such operations between contexts are not allowed (similar to the problem with dragging...
October 22nd 06 10:52 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
0 538
Can't Write to Root Of DVD-Ram Drive by Gramps
Could this be some security setting that I'm to stupid too find? I can select the root of the drive & create a directory/folder,but I can't just drag a directory/folder to the drive. I can drag & drop a directory/folder to a sub folder ok... Any Input would be a help
October 22nd 06 03:34 PM
by Gramps Go to last post

From The