Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
navigation pane in window by Cheri G
When I open a file folder and it has other folders in it--I want to see the folder tree in a navigation window but none of the help choices tell me how to do this--any suggestions?
June 30th 08 11:03 PM
by Cheri G Go to last post
5 185
Can't Browse files by Isaac
When I try to save or browse for a file, nothing happens. When I click "Save as..." on a program, nothing happens. If I click "Browse" on a website, nothing happens. When I first got this computer, it worked fine. I don't know when the problem first arose.
June 30th 08 06:19 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
4 378
Deleting from Appdata-Local-Temp by pcbeginner
Hi there, I have had vista for more than year now and it has worked fine. Until a few day ago. My windows defender has detected two trojans in my Appdata-Local-Temp and a backdoor in my svchost folder. The trojans are called something like Win32/vundo.Gen
June 30th 08 04:37 PM
by pcbeginner Go to last post
0 240
VHDmount doesn't see multiple drives? by Luca Villa
I backup my two physical drives C: + R: with Vista backup. The problem is that when I mount my backup file with VHDmount, it only mounts a virtual drive D: that corresponds to C:. It doesn't mount any virtual drive for R: Do you confirm that VHDmound can't mount drives other than the first physical drive found in the backup file?
June 30th 08 03:27 PM
by Luca Villa Go to last post
0 201
HUGE system volume Information by ACiD GRiM
I have a 198 GB HDD that has only ~3GB of space left. I cannot delete any more data, i already did disk cleanup and deleted any non-critical files. I did a disk analazyz and found that the system volume information folder is taking up an enormous 89 GB of space that's almost as large as the files I put on there (107GB). This is my server machine (wndows server 2008) so there is not any system...
June 30th 08 05:50 AM
by ACiD GRiM Go to last post
9 349
Search File Contents by Milo[_3_]
I have 10 years of Word Files on an external drive which I have included in the index. Cannot find files within certain words or names within contents. Brings up emails etc. but if I put someone's name in I've written about in a Word File (Doc), nothing. This was easy in XP. Thanx
June 30th 08 02:40 AM
by Milo[_3_] Go to last post
0 183
Error code by Dennis
When trying to copy files to a SD card, I have copied lots, as it is a 2GB card, and then it generates this error... Error 0x80070052 Files can not be found or do not exist. This is NOT the case as they do exist on my Hard drive, but Vista will not let me copy them over. ANY help please.
June 30th 08 12:28 AM
by Lisa & Ed Go to last post
4 249
Lost Desktop by djgolfrn
I am computer illiterate! I moved from Ga to Nc and my computer was working finr (desktop computer) Long story short, I had an Acer (1 1/2 yrs old) I could not get my monitor to show my desktop so I had someone work on it. He said I blew the "motherboard?" Anyway, purchased a new computer and had this same person transfer my documents and all saved data to this new one. However, I...
June 29th 08 08:06 PM
by djgolfrn Go to last post
2 160
Thumbnails for Office 2007 docs by esieens
Hi All, I understand that with Office 2007 I can force thumbnails to be created for my office 2007 documents by using the 'Save Thumbnail' option in the Save dialog of most office 207 applications. This works great for new docs. How can I generate thumbnails for existing docs?
June 29th 08 06:14 PM
by Nonny Go to last post
1 179
No new folders by etherton
i am unable to make a new folder on my desktop and in my documents, if i right click on my desktop it just doesnt appear on the list like normal, in my documents the option is there but it does nothing when its clicked on. its only happened in the past few days and i dont understand why, i have tried most things i can think of and now i have run out of ideas...please help:confused: -- etherton
June 29th 08 05:55 PM
by etherton Go to last post
0 137
Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space? by Steve Mavronis
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I'm trying to do another Complete PC Backup to an external 500gb USB drive and I'm getting error (0x80780048) due to not enough free space left on the backup drive. The screen before says, if there is not enough free space it will start deleting prior backups starting with the oldest. This does not seem to be the case as advertised! I do scheduled regular...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 29th 08 03:10 PM
by chuckbam[_6_] Go to last post
19 550
Live folders by Axel[_2_]
Hi. I'm a newbie here, so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section... ;) First off; I use IconPackager 4.0 to change the icons of all my folders. It changes all icons on the C drive, but not the ones on the D drive, which is where I store my music and images. Am I going about it wrong or is there something else going on? Secondly, I can't seem to change every Live folder. I've changed...
June 29th 08 10:31 AM
by Axel[_2_] Go to last post
0 185
UAC - wont allow user who is administrator to access "documents and settings" folder ? by james
Hi, I havent used Vista for very long,and i was just trying to get into the "documents and settings" folder but i get the below message: "c:\documents and settings is not accessible. access denied" Is this due to the UAC,so that i cant access certain folders while it is on ? Or is it a setting which i choose to allow me access to those folders??
June 29th 08 02:12 AM
by Dave Go to last post
1 166
can't see .swf files saved to hard drive by mark
I have a program which enables me to save embedded flash files to my hard drive. I just got a lap top, with Vista installed, and for some reason I am unable to see swf files that I save. They *are* there, because if I try to re-save the same file to the same folder, I get the file already exists message. I never had this problem with XP, so I'm thinking it's something about Vista settings....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 28th 08 04:11 PM
by Andi Go to last post
12 317
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Aaron Martinez
Well i want to know , not if I should turn the (A program needs your permission to continue) message. but how to turn it off. I tried running the program as administrator but its still not working. i want to avoid going to the process of having that message that always end up making programs that use the same message (A program needs your permission to continue) ran. I want to turn it off so...
June 28th 08 07:22 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
2 284
Where did Windows Explorer go??? by Bill
What is now called Windows Explorer in Vista has been crippled so that only the files and folders for the current user can be explored. Where is the replacement for Windows Explorer in Vista? I am looking for the tool that will allow an administrator to explore the entire hard drive, create folders and copy files to wherever necessary. I need to create a folder that will contain some executable...
June 28th 08 01:03 AM
by alta47 Go to last post
9 386
searchin file contents issue in vista? by Rostam
I think there is an underlying problem or defficiency in Vista, with regards to searching file contents, which microsoft still has not addressed after all these months. I have set up search to search the contents of files with the "Always Search File Contents" option (it wasn't easy to figure out how to get to this option in the first place!). However, Vista will still not search the...
June 28th 08 12:35 AM
by Rostam Go to last post
0 181
Defrag Backup? by JVM
I save entire disk images to a second internal hard drive that is partitioned just for backing up entire images of my primary hard drive. Windows analyzed and suggests defragging but should I defrag the backups? The suggestion to defrag is not for my primary hard drive--I know because I just defragged that drive. I have Vista Ultimate x64 edition. --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 27th 08 09:48 PM
by JVM Go to last post
10 368
Network file organization - REQ info on best methods by Dan R
I'm wondering if anyone knows the best way to organize files on multiple servers in a corporate environment. I've been reading about FAN and some other areas but wondering if anyone has any cheap efficient ideas for organizing a variety of files in a central path i.e \\pathname\directory\subdirectory\etc... Thanks, Dan
June 27th 08 07:50 PM
by Dan R Go to last post
0 181
unable to delete 2 shortcuts and a install exe. file by auman
I am trying to uninstall all remnants of a program I downloaded from the internet. I want to then reinstall the program and this time save the files and folders in the right places. I have tried to do this already and have discovered that I have 3 remnants of the program that I can't delete which will keep me from installing the program properly. When I try to delete them I get a message...
June 27th 08 07:34 PM
by PaulB Go to last post

From The