Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Save using browse by Avery Tom Deacon Harry[_2_]
I said on another post "A simple lesson in life that Microsoft seem to have difficulty learning is "if it aint broke then don't fix it"". When downloading a file from the net you can no longer Browse to where the file is to go. I realise that one can still get to a sort of Browse mechanism but only in a round about way, not directly.
June 27th 08 06:03 PM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
4 326
Start Menu Resets Back To Alphabetical Order by Sabre24
I like to place the programs listed in the start menu in a certain order. Windows Vista will allow me to rearrange the order, however if I re-start the PC, install something new or install an update, the start menu order goes back to alphabetical. The setting for alphabetical listing remains un-ticked. I am running Windows Home Premium 32 Bit with all updates applied. Can someone help me...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 27th 08 05:12 PM
by StrayDogHwy395 Go to last post
10 367
delete files in my sharing folder by twobucks
i try to delete files in my sharing folder but cant . i went to help section and it said ti right click on file , i did and a drop down appeared but there was no delete button on it so i was not able to delete the file , it is not a read only file, can anyone help me
June 27th 08 04:44 PM
by twobucks Go to last post
0 181
How to Create List of Linked Files by ncprius
I have more than 3K files (jpgs mostly) linked to many individual scrapbooks in a genealogy software program. I would like to create a list of what files are linked to what individuals (for disaster recovery purposes). Does Vista have a search feature which does that? Thanks in advance for your help.
June 27th 08 12:50 PM
by ncprius Go to last post
0 199
external drive (old Laptop) & Vista permissions by Woodzys
My old Win Xp Laptop broke so I'm using the hard drive as an external for my new Vista Laptop, but whenever I try opening files from it I'm getting trouble with permission. I have tried changing permissions on the security tab of properties but not having much luck, although I had a bit of luck with idividual files within folders but cant for the life of me work out how to set it for...
June 26th 08 11:39 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 428
Backup failure - Error 0x80070002 by John Edwards
Running 'Create Backup' for the first time with Vista Home Premium (to a new 500GB external hard drive) repeatedly results in a failure message "The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)", although none is specified!!! Following other enquiries here, I have checked for surplus ProfileImagePaths (none, other than three starting %systemroot%). I have also run sfc/scannow and been...
June 26th 08 05:05 PM
by Mantra Go to last post
7 299
ERASING FILES OR DOCUMENTS by RAUL
I DONWLOADED SOME FILES FROM LIMEWIRE, THEN I ERASED THEM FROM WHERE THEY WERE, AND NOW WHEN I SEARCH THEM ON WINDOWS, THEY STILL ARE THERE, BUT WHEN I TRY TO ERASE THEM AGAIN IT APPEARS TO BE A PROBLEM BECAUSE IT SAYS THAT IVE MOVED THEM OR THEY COULD NOT BE FOUND ANYMORE SO THEY COULD NOT BE ERASED AND THEN IT GIVE ME TWO OPTIONS, RETRY OR CANCEL. WHAT CAN I DO????? I WANT TO ERASE...
June 26th 08 02:46 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 283
Shared folders - how to disable by Mulroy
I don't know how this happened as I did NOT change or alter any settings. I did surf the net yesterday. Whenever I cut a folder and paste it elsewhere, it puts the two people shared icon on it. When I hit the folder properties, it states that the folder is not shared. When I go to delete the folder, it says it IS shared and when I try to delete it, it locks up. I do not want any of this...
June 26th 08 01:06 AM
by Mulroy Go to last post
2 267
wendows defender problem by jacksh
Hey guys . The wendows defender stopped working . The antivirus I have is gone ( Kasparasky) , The Admisistrative tools wendow is empty . I can't start the office any more . most of the start manue applications are gone includug the system restore . That happened just few hours ago, when the system showed me the blue screen telling me that the system is Halted by a memory...
June 25th 08 06:59 PM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
6 311
Locating Outlook 2007 data file by CarolineT
My hard drive crashed and i'm trying to locate and restore my data files from my bad drive to my new hard drive. Where do i find the .pst file? When i try to look through OUtlook, it says it's in appdata/. There is no appdata subfolder.
June 25th 08 05:21 AM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
3 311
Search???? by Mickey Mouse
Hi all, just started using Vista Premium. Where is the search function similar to XP where I select the search parameters, eg. My computer, Cdrive, Ddrive etc? Mickey
June 25th 08 01:18 AM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
1 292
Lost Explorer Sidebar Shortcuts by d0od
Hey all - does anyone know how you get the shortcuts back in the sidebar of explorer? Just to show you what i'm going on about here's them from a screenshot i'd taken a few days ago: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2607029201_702382f6dc.jpg] And now they're gone!
June 25th 08 01:13 AM
by Charles W Davis Go to last post
3 286
Unable to remove shortcut by crcrcr1
Hello! I installed "The Sims 2" on my computer but uninstalled it the next day as I have Windows Vista and it wasn't really compatible, but the desktop shortcut is still there. I have tried right-clicking to delete it but a message appears saying that it cannot find the file (obviously because I have uninstalled the program) and asks me to verify the location before I can delete it. I did...
June 24th 08 05:48 PM
by crcrcr1 Go to last post
2 238
%20 instead of space in folder names. by NCX001
Reccently I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend take my laptop with her on a road trip when it came back all of the folder names that had a space in them have been replaced with a %20. Any ideas what she did?
June 24th 08 08:02 AM
by DL Go to last post
3 274
Copying large numbers of files from external disk by Doug O
In the process of migrating from old to new computer I copied a large number (80,000+) of files onto an external drive with WIndows XP (no problem). Now I want to copy them to the new computer but get "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in ..." It says this for about 60,000 files. If I do smaller pieces at least 20% cannot be "found". Is Vista unable to more than a handful...
June 24th 08 08:01 AM
by DL Go to last post
2 261
Vista Backup by Bob
Does vista backup and restore backup everything I have in my user account folder? For example the user account I use I named "Bob1". Does vista backup and restore backup everything in "Bob1"? I use windows mail for my email. Does vista backup and restore backup all my emails saved in windows mail? Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than I need) Acer...
June 24th 08 12:27 AM
by Bob Go to last post
2 189
accidently replace file with older version by S
I accidentally replaced a file with an older version. They were copied in two different locations so when I was moving files, it asked me to delete one file. I deleted the wrong one...any way to salvage it? Thanks! S
June 23rd 08 06:58 PM
by S Go to last post
2 209
document recovery by dal_face
I use Windows Vista. I was opening a saved document from my flashdrive and suddenly the document closed & is no longer on the drive. I hadn't replaced it, although I do have a different document on my hard drive that's got the same file name. (But I hadn't "saved as" the flash drive copy on my hard drive yet.) I don't know how to get to the "document recovery" pane. Every time I see the...
June 23rd 08 05:31 PM
by dal_face Go to last post
0 210
Opening Word files from Desktop in Vista Home Premium by rodney
After Vista Home Premium SP1 I cannot open Word files through desktop Documents. If I open Word I can bring up files without any difficulty from there. Also can't open attachments on Windows Mail. Was ok before sp1 but this may be coincidence. Any advice? Rod.
June 23rd 08 06:23 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
9 259
File Securer software on vista 64 bit by supersonictt
hi everybody well, i use Fridaysoft File Securer on vista 64 bit, there is an option in the software that allows me to Lock/Unlock any file or folder by right-clicking on the item then choose one of these two options in the context menu, but that option is not available in the 64 bit edition of vista. i installed UltraExplorer (a file manager), while using this software i can find the...
June 22nd 08 11:36 PM
by supersonictt Go to last post

From The