Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows Explorer change the default folder by Alpha7878
Hi all My question is; When I open windows explorer, the default is /user/documents Can I change the default to another folder or drive? Thanks in advance Jerry
May 2nd 09 01:20 AM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
5 414
Vista indexer is overlooking files in Offline Cache by Alphad
KB Article 932989 discusses the issue, but solution does not work. My issue most resembles "Cause 5." http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989 I have Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 (clean install) and have several gigs of documents available using the "Available Offline" feature. Vista indexes these files (verified by the index files count increasing dramatically when available offline feature...
March 17th 08 03:32 PM
by Alphad Go to last post
0 319
Folder says I need admistrator privileges when I have them? by Alpha_Cluster
I have two folders on my computer right now that both say I do not have privileges to access or delete even after escilating my privileges with UAC. Is there any way I can fix these folders? The claim to have a "undisplayable owner" and I cannot get myself or admin to be the owner.
July 4th 08 02:57 PM
by Alpha_Cluster Go to last post
4 204
My video folder disappeared... by Alpinestars
Anyone know how to find it back ? And no i didnt drag it out of my home folder. -- Alpinestars
December 4th 07 11:56 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
4 161
Rename/Move Folders only by Altiar
I installed windows vista premium after i formatted my laptop, and i can't rename (its error is: Folder Doesn't exist), and i can't cut or move folders...but everything with the "Files" is normal. Any help????
June 22nd 08 08:53 AM
by Altiar Go to last post
0 162
I can´t open folders by Alvaro Fernandez
I save some photos in 1 folder, but now it doesn´t appear all folders, why is that? The first times appeared a question of relating files of the same kind, and then new folders show what can i do to view all my folders?
May 23rd 07 12:20 AM
by Alvaro Fernandez Go to last post
0 160
Disk Space Explorer by Alvin L. Villaflores
Hi, all. Is there a utility in Windows Vista Home Basic that shows the percentage of disk space used by drives and folders? I get my hard disk suddenly gone from 34GB free to 5GB free in just days. I didn't install anything that requires 20GB+ of hard disk space. Makes me wonder how did this happen. Thank you.
November 23rd 07 03:31 AM
by brink[_1990_] Go to last post
1 253
Group Policy Editor in Vista Basic by Alvin L. Villaflores
Hi, everyone. I kindda wondered what happened to the Group Policy editor in Vista Basic. I couldn't view some low level settings here in this Vista edition that I have. Is there a Group Policy editor here? If there is, would someone please point me to that? Regards to you all. Alvin
November 29th 07 01:43 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 215
can't access temp folder under user profile by alving
Hi I cannot access TEMP folder under user profile, or even access any file in that folder. It says the folder is corrupt. I tried to run ccleaner, however that didn't fix it. Could someone please suggest how I can get rid of this folder and start a new one Thanks - Av
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 9th 10 04:48 AM
by ashvin Go to last post
10 837
can't access temp folder under user profile by alving
Hi I cannot access TEMP folder under user profile, or even access any file in that folder. It says the folder is corrupt. I tried to run ccleaner, however that didn't fix it. Could someone please suggest how I can get rid of this folder and start a new one Thanks - Av
March 31st 10 09:58 PM
by alving Go to last post
0 415
Files, folders default arrangement settings by AM
Why are tiles and autoarrange the default settings? I dont like tiles and autoarrange, always preferred medium icons and arranged by type. Autoarrange messes up the location of my files/folders whenever something is deleted. OK, small gripe, just curious why is it the default setting? Cant we configure our own default setting so we dont have to open Folder Options a million times and choose...
July 8th 07 11:04 AM
by AM Go to last post
0 207
Where are the APPLICATIONS in Vista? by Amanda
We moved the Desktopshortcut to start MS-Word... and now we can't find the actual MS-Word Application!? When we "search" for Word, Vista just shows us "shortcuts" The thing is... the shortcut does not start the program anymore. So my question is.... where do you suppose the actual program is??????? I mean... it was soooooo easy to find things with XP... but now everything is either...
October 31st 07 11:58 AM
by Dave Go to last post
7 142
Files waiting to be burned to cd, seems complicated? by Amanda
Lately, when I have a file ready to be burned to a CD or DVD, a message pops up on my desktop saying so, and "click here to see the file." I've seen this in the past too, and when I'd click on it, it would show me the contents on the cd or dvd I have in the drive, and at the top of the window the file ready to be written would show. And I could select "burn" and it would burn to the disc,...
January 14th 08 04:21 PM
by Amanda Go to last post
2 209
Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files by Amanda
Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one hard drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these files to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses 100% CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it, Explorer...
March 31st 07 05:14 PM
by Go to last post
4 146
how to open a cmd prompt? by Amanda
A while back on this forum I found out how to delete some troublesome files by using a command prompt. The large files were making explorer hang, and use 100% CPU. The forum told me to find the folder and right click on it, and choose open command prompt from the context menu. Then I could use DOS style commands. That worked beautifully for my purpose, but today when I tried it again, the...
April 20th 07 08:52 PM
by R. C. White, MVP Go to last post
5 203
be bratz usb key by amanda123
the usb key has not come on automatically when inserted.in the instructions it says find the external drive letter named key launcher in windows.i dont no what that means or were to look as im not that clued up.im on windows vista home basic if any one knows please help as this is for my 7 year old
January 28th 08 04:34 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
1 274
be bratz usb key by amanda123
ive gone into the computer and its sayingD:\is not accessible the disk structure is not accessible corrupted and unreadable. any more ideas please
January 28th 08 05:51 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
1 274
be bratz usb key by amanda123
i went into comp mangement couldnt find reformat disk so i went into disk mangement the top bit of the line was in blue and looks like its deleated then it says simple basic healthy (elsa configuration)5.37gb 5.37gb 100% no 0% (D:) simple basic raw healthy (primary partition) 542mb 542mb 100% no 0% vista (c:) simple basic healthy (system,boot,page file,active,crash dump,primary partion...
January 28th 08 06:44 PM
by amanda123 Go to last post
0 354
remove associated file type by Amaury Groc
Hi I can't find a way to remove file type association. I set the wrong application for rar files, by mistake, and there it appears in the "open with" menu. I see no way to remove applications from there. Does anyone have a clue to that? Thanks! amo
December 24th 07 03:25 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 190
Files downloading - Not showing up?? by Amber
I have tried to download programs (such as a ringtone maker) and also music and I am able to download them, or so I thought ...but once the download box goes away the file is not on my computer and I am not prompted to do anything else. The box pops up that says would you like to run or save this program, and I have tried both neither seem to work.I have not had a problem with this in the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 1st 08 07:10 AM
by Zach Go to last post

From The