Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Drag n drop organising..suggestion by ashjas
This builld is really very stable. I would like to suggest,for a way to move or copy a file/folder using drag and drop.. Vista has a new more functional address bar on all explorer windows..using which one can go to any folder up or down the current folder view by clicking the small triangle in the path shown in the address bar. What I would like to suggest is that when dragging a file/folder...
November 2nd 06 06:04 PM
by ashjas Go to last post
2 513
releasing internet explorer by cbdeans
How does one go about releasing internet explorer 7 in vista build 5384. I am suppose to getting the update, which I understand from Microsoft will take up to four weeks. In the meantime, my system keeps on crashing and making a dump, which I have not been able to find yet. Any ideas?
November 2nd 06 08:46 PM
by Dave B. Go to last post
1 439
Backup in Vista seems particularly brain damaged by Nick Payne
RC2 build 5744. There doesn't seem to be any way to backup selected folders. The lowest level of granularity seems to be an entire drive. So instead of just backing up my data files I have to backup everything, increasing the backup size about 700%. Microsoft really do seem to be aiming this operating system at the terminally stupid...
November 3rd 06 01:23 AM
by Nick Payne Go to last post
0 411
Sidebar Gadgets by Keeep Out
What do you open sidebar gadgets with under the open with option? i selected notepad by acident once so now I dont know what the default program GADGET programs open with. since i dont know what to open those files with i cant install them.
November 3rd 06 06:22 PM
by webdood Go to last post
4 455
reducing windows size by Tom McDonald
I upgraded from XP Pro to Vista RC2. I was looking on my drive and noticed that the windows folder is 9GB. Are there any files or subfolders that can be safely removed in order to reduce the size of this? One of the subfolders called winsxs is 3GB with 4984 subfolders and from what I understand we aren't supposed to remove anything from there. That leaves 6GB still. The windows temp file is empty.
November 3rd 06 10:52 PM
by Tom McDonald Go to last post
0 417
When listing XP files the "Date modified" could be in the future by th
When listing files on the XP installation partition (in a dual boot configuration) the dates indicated can be several hours ahead in time. The maximum I have seen is about 11 hours. I run with the same time setting (CET) for both OSes but obviously XP and Vista interprets the time information from the NTFS formatted partitions in a different way.
November 4th 06 10:20 AM
by th Go to last post
1 437
Using links in a dual boot config where drive letters change by th
In an earlier thread: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&tid=6e1622f6-a86b-42e7-90ac-9df6f47dea60&cat=en_US_80EED63A-9034-4C95-A805-316A51ED0C31&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1 it was discussed the impact of drive letter swapping when using a dual boot configuration. I tried the following With RC1: 1) In...
November 4th 06 01:36 PM
by th Go to last post
1 763
How to access Windows XP files by th
When running a dual boot configuration with XP and Vista RC1 i tried to access the XP "Local settings" folder in my XP account. (after some searching before realising that Vista swapped the c: and d: drives!!!!!). The reply was that "You do not have permission to access this folder" and that you must change the security settings in order to do so. I have not yet tried to change these...
November 4th 06 01:57 PM
by th Go to last post
4 494
Photo Gallery Error by jwardl
I just loaded a new hard drive with Build 5728, and am having problems with Photo Gallery. I've tried different photos from various sources, and while I can see the "thumbnails", double-clicking on ANY of them gives me the forever-spinning Vista wait-wheel. SOMETIMES, I'll get a message stating, "This picture can't be displayed. You might not have enough memory available. Close some programs or,...
November 5th 06 09:17 PM
by jwardl Go to last post
0 388
search locations by nicholas
I am having problems with the windows search service, it keeps on stopping while doing a general search. If I do a search via the start menu everything is alright. I do not know if this is due to adding a location, my USB external hard drive or maybe it is my anti virus that is causing this, Norton anti virus cooperate 10.2.0.224 which is causing it but I would like to remove the USB drive...
November 6th 06 08:12 PM
by nicholas Go to last post
0 454
mounting drives by Doug Durrett
Did Mirosoft ever or finally include the ability to mount additional drives? I'm NOT a fan of Linux or anything else, however, in those systems you could create a folder and mount the folder to a complete different hardware (drive) source. What a NICE feature. So far what I've seen from Vista is just Windows XP with new background images on the screens.... LOL
November 6th 06 10:57 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 458
file icons and menu commands by nicktodd
In XP I could change the icon for each file type, for example, apply the photo/jpg icon to PNG files. Apparently this cant be done in Vista? Xp also allowed you to edit and add options in the right-click menu for each file type. For PNG files, i could use "open" to view in the picture viewer, "edit" to open in paint, and add "___", an arbitrary command to open or process it with another...
November 6th 06 11:51 PM
by nicktodd Go to last post
2 435
reducing windows size by Tom McDonald
I upgraded from XP Pro to Vista RC2. I was looking on my drive and noticed that the windows folder is 9GB. Are there any files or subfolders that can be safely removed in order to reduce the size of this? One of the subfolders called winsxs is 3GB with 4984 subfolders and from what I understand we aren't supposed to remove anything from there. That leaves 6GB still. The windows temp file is...
November 7th 06 01:43 AM
by tacwalker Go to last post
7 498
temp folder? by Jeff
Hi, What's the location of the folder;that when you run the install ;it installs from? is it just temp; like if I type in %temp% in the start bar; is it that it? Cuz I can't seem to find an install execute i stopped; and now want to run it again? noob city prolly;I know-but hey!!
November 8th 06 01:13 AM
by Jeff Go to last post
2 465
Can't select multiple files in the default Download folder by Karim
I can't believe it, but my computer just started doing this silly thing as well. If anyone has any idea why this is occurring or how can we stop this from happening, please let us know. Thanks. "John" wrote: I'm having the same problem, and not just in that folder. Every folder except the base user folder (and the desktop oddly) seems to allow only a single file to be selected. ...
November 8th 06 03:58 AM
by Karim Go to last post
0 406
VirtualStore??????? by SpeedKing
Have been installing programs that were never meant for Vista and one is News File Grabber. It always has the folder with sub folders inside for each newsgroup and the main folder is always inside the program folder in programs(XP). When I went looking for it in Vista the folder is not there but it is in one in compatibility under virtualstore............... time to play hunt the...
November 8th 06 01:57 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 429
How to insert the "modified time" attribute in "date taken" attribute in batch mode-in vista or theough a software? by paltry
Hello, I am using windows vista rc1. I tried many softwares ,to insert the date modified attrbute into the "date taken" attribute of an image file..but was not able to find anyone of them really do the job. Attribute magicpro is closest match for this task but its in beta currently so the changes are not really reflected in windows(VISTA RC1)...
November 8th 06 09:06 PM
by paltry Go to last post
0 377
HD Partitioned into 2 drives,now i want to combine but vista wont allow by XD
Howdy all I have a 160gb drive,its split into two partitions,first 95gb and second is 57gb.First is drive e and second is drive f,i have vista installed into drive f which shows as primary/boot/active,the blank 97gb is drive e which just lists as primary partition. I am using computer management to try and extend drive f to take drive e's space but i just get a disk out of space message.Is...
November 10th 06 02:43 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
4 476
Arf Files and saving from interenet by Kteal
Hi i wonder if anyone can help. I have 2 questions. I have windows vista evaluation copy on my machine. 1. What is an arf. file as all my files have been duplicated in this fomat and i dont know if it should be happening and if i need to keep them. 2. When i download files from the internet it always says "for the security of your pc this has been saved in a temporary file is there a way i...
November 11th 06 11:36 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 415
Vista RC1 hangs when opening a folder containing many AVI/MPG file by dvanhorn
100% repeatable, if I open any folder that has more than 10-20 avi or mpg files, vista hangs with the hard drive light on. I suspect it's STUPIDLY trying to open each file to display a cute little picture. This makes working with it essentially impossible. Almost a terabyte of video here, and if I try to touch it with vista's explorer, it hangs. Lovely.
November 14th 06 08:03 PM
by jd Go to last post

From The