Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista and saving pdf files by EBirdy
Every time I try to save a file as a .pdf, I get the message that "for my security, Vista is going to save the file to the Temporary Internet folder, do I wish to open this folder now?" I have NO OPTION to NOT do what Vista wants. It's incredibly frustrating. I say "yes" and the file is just gone. I can't find it anywhere - I used Advanced Search and put in "Everywhere" and searched for...
March 18th 08 03:40 AM
by EBirdy Go to last post
0 269
Moving the Documents folder by Gordon
As a very new Vista user (about 5 hours!) I want to move my Documents folder to another partition. In XP I just right-clicked on My Documents and in the Properties window there was a "move" option. Can't see anything like that in Vista Home Premium. Is there? Thanks
March 18th 08 12:23 AM
by Bob Go to last post
5 352
Vista virtualized folder by Ger
I tried to download a trial copy of Adobe Premier Pro video editing software. The file seemed to download, but Vista will not let me look at it. Adobe suggested I follow this path to the file; C:\users\Gerry\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\virtualized folder The problem is I cannot get any farther than ...\microsoft\windows... There does not seem to be a temporary...
March 17th 08 11:45 PM
by POPO Go to last post
1 293
"Documents" folder hidden by Bob L.
I moved “Documents” and “Downloads” to another partition using Location| Move, etc. Before doing these 2 moves, I created 2 new folders on the new partition named “Documents” and “Downloads”. My problem is that after the moves (I said Yes to move all files) the Documents folder on the new partition disappeared, i.e. it became a hidden system file while the “Downloads”...
March 17th 08 08:43 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
7 397
Microsoft Outlook 2007 by Tonym
::I have been using Microsoft Outlook 2007 for about two weeks everything was working fine. I have not change the way I used this program. I have used Microsoft Outlook 2002 for a few years so I had no real problems until recently. I save many of the e-mails I receive in either text or HTML format with no problem. When I save an e-mail now in either text or HTML now, a folder is automatically...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 08 07:41 PM
by Dave Go to last post
10 494
XP to Vista by Barb
XP to Vista--My DOC files will not open in Vista after transferring from my previous XP PC. -- Barb Brighton
March 17th 08 07:23 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
2 301
Network Files and Folders disappear using Vista by KT
Hello. I have an issue with a Vista Business user losing files and folders on a Windows 2003 SBS network. In the first instance, quite a few files disappeared from the user's My Documents folder which is redirected to the SBS server. About a month later, another instance arose. He was organizing folders on a network share. He was moving folders, which each contain a few files, from
March 17th 08 06:43 PM
by KT Go to last post
0 323
Vista indexer is overlooking files in Offline Cache by Alphad
KB Article 932989 discusses the issue, but solution does not work. My issue most resembles "Cause 5." http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989 I have Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 (clean install) and have several gigs of documents available using the "Available Offline" feature. Vista indexes these files (verified by the index files count increasing dramatically when available offline feature...
March 17th 08 04:32 PM
by Alphad Go to last post
0 319
Get missing Vista Files by Andreasw
Hi Community, I want to reinstall my Windows Vista but I cant do it! When I want to start the process it doesnt work because the files I need to reinstall on my Computer are missing! How can I install Windows Vista when the files on my Computer are missing? Is there a way to get the setup or whatever ? I dont know which files are missing exactely so I need them all! Please help me!
March 16th 08 09:40 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 251
change the default explorer mode to explore by hopfrog
I found a tweak on tweakvista a while back that changed explorer to always open in explore mode, so no matter what folder I opened, it was always in explore... in xp I changed this setting in folder options, under the folder types, but I can't find this setting anywhere - I have searched and searched, but I can't find this tweak again! Please help! -- hopfrog
March 16th 08 09:03 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
8 347
Search by Fat Doris
Using Windows Vista and Office 97 - I am having difficulty finding my way around the search facility in Vista and don't find Help very helpful in this context. Where can I find out how to: a) search for a file created or modified between two dates (I can only find "before or after ); b) search for a word in the text only, not in the title - and vice versa; c) search for a string of text. XP...
March 16th 08 12:58 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 348
Windows Vista folder icon display problem by Jim
I have a Dell PC running Windows Vista and for some reason most of the folders do not correctly display the icon for folders. They show the icon that is normally associated with an unrecognized extension in Windows. The folders can be opened and do display the files they contain properly but the icon assosicated with the folder is incorrect. I have tried to manually change the folder icon...
March 16th 08 06:07 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 294
Converting File Formats by BMKessler in
I have audio files recorded with .wma extensions. How can I copy these files with .wav extensions? I have Vista on my pc. Thanks for any help. -- B M Kessler
March 15th 08 11:14 PM
by Dave Go to last post
3 278
faulty program caused my computer to lose icons by seajamit
can u help me plz because i installed a faulty program and now folder icons have been lost. i know i could live with this but it is really getting on my nerves!!! -- Jamie
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 15th 08 09:59 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
10 558
Finding multiple file extensions by Fimble
I'm using Vista and am unable to figure out how to find a set of files that have certain file extensions. In XP, I would search a folder and type: *.exe;*.txt;*.whatever to find all files with those extensions in a folder. How do I do this in Vista? Thanks for the help!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 15th 08 06:12 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
10 480
How do I delete this "mystery file?" by Greg Edwards
I have a mystery file in my Personal folder in Windows Vista, and it's driving me nuts. The file just displays a blank paper icon with no name (see http://tinyurl.com/ywej72 for reference). I can't delete it, and when I attempt to view its properties, a blank Properties window is displayed (see http://tinyurl.com/2gq6oy for reference), so there's no way to view or change security permissions...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 15th 08 01:22 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
10 536
Details Pane Inactive for MP3s by Saunataga
When trying to edit the Details Pane while viewing MP3s on an external USB HD (ComputerWDMusic FilesArtistSong), I find that the items in the pane that should be able to be edited are all inactive - clicking on any or all of them produces no result whatsover. The SAVE button that sould be on the bottom is missing also. The Pane works fine when I access, for example, photos on my...
March 15th 08 03:32 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
3 413
Vista Backup Folder Sizes? by Steve Mavronis
My external 500gb drive is being used for both Vista File Backup and Complete PC Backup. It says I now have only 70gb free on the drive? I'm puzzled on the disk usage. My file backups go into a folder under the PC-Name folder called Backup Set 2007-08-05 230745 but the folder properties says it has 0 bytes usage in 33 folders. I've been doing a scheduled file backup once a week since August...
March 15th 08 12:05 AM
by Steve Mavronis Go to last post
2 315
full address by Tiffany
Hi, in Window XP, i used to be able to select full address to be displayed in the address bar. But for Window Vista, I could not find the way to do it. e.g. instead of showing D:\Document, i want to show \\sapsgsmapsnap01\document I want to send the link to my colleague to access directly to destination folder.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 14th 08 08:27 PM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
11 524
Changing column size in folder by Gordon
I just created a new folder in my Documents folder - I can't re-size the column widths! All the other folders (which were copied from an XP machine) I can - just this one I have created. Is there a setting somewhere to do this?
March 14th 08 01:30 PM
by Gordon Go to last post

From The