Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
sfc /scannow question. by irishgodfather[_3_]
I ran *sfc /scannow. It ran all the way and then shut down with no message.* Does that mean my system is ok. Thanks. Bill -- irishgodfather
March 7th 08 04:24 PM
by irishgodfather[_6_] Go to last post
6 314
rename file by lgray7
When I tried to move a folder I received an error message that said the file name was too long. When I right click on the file, I do not get the RENAME option. So I am stuck with a file in Temporary Files that will not move and will not rename, Is there another way to rename the file?
March 7th 08 03:42 PM
by david jch Go to last post
2 281
Delete unwanted shortcuts by Dave
I am creating a new Vista SP1 build and am trying to get rid of some unwanted shortcuts. I need to get rid of Windows Mail and Windows Media player from Start All Programs. I have been able to delete these from C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. However each time a new user signs on a shortcut for Windows Mail and Windows Media player appear in Start Menu All programs.
March 7th 08 01:45 PM
by david jch Go to last post
1 254
Folders & Docs disappeared by markaaro
so the other day I accidentally messed up something with the properties of all of my folders.... In the attributes I must have clicked on something, not sure what, but now I'm missing a great deal of information.... I tried doing a system restore, but it has only brought back a few things but not everything.... HELP! -- markaaro
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 7th 08 07:11 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
15 767
File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas? by Norma
This has happened 4 times with Vista: A word on the Desktop is opened, modified, saved and closed. Then, the word file is opened but it is showing an earlier version of the file. Any ideas on how to recover the word file and how to avoid this from happening?
March 7th 08 12:41 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
4 323
Public folders by silverbob
Can public folders be disabled? This my home PC and I'm running Home Premium. Nobody else uses this PC and its not on a network. So, the concept of public folders is irrelevant for me. I found that some programs I installed placed files in my public folders. And, when I remove them, my program no longer works. And, there's this little public folders icon in my task bar that's taking...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 6th 08 09:35 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
14 618
Sharing administrator music file with another user by 2.4ghz.donnie
I am having problems sharing the administrators music file with another user on the same computer. Clicked on the music file. sharing, and then chose the standard users name from the drop down list that MS recs that you use for everyday use. I only have the 1 admin. and 1 standard account set up on this Vista Home Premium. It comes up "Your file could not be shared"
March 6th 08 08:30 PM
by 2.4ghz.donnie Go to last post
0 370
Vista Office by harry potter
How to uninstall files from Office 2007? -- use vista and office
March 6th 08 07:10 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 298
Keeping Focus on a file while changing Views. by Jeremy
I often use "Computer" in Vista to view my photos within "Pictures". I also often use the slider under "Views" to enlarge the thumbnails to preview them easier prior to opening in Photoshop. Is there a way to keep focus on a selected picture while enlarging the view within the window? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with...
March 6th 08 07:08 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 291
Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive? by Julia
I have been trying to install some software recently, and each time I get to the Installation Wizard, it tells me that it cannot complete installation because the "documents" folder is either not valid, or not on the C drive. I have not changed any of my folders, but this seems to be the same message I get. I can download the software, but cannot install. It is not an issue with the...
March 6th 08 05:22 PM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
7 291
doc and settings ? by brinkc1
I have a clean verson of vista home. I just ran my mcafee virus scan and it is finding 1,000's of virus's in the folder c:/documents and settings. Anytime I open my c: drive this file doesn't show up. How do I access this folder? It keeps making more viruses as fast as it is deleting them. Thanks --
March 6th 08 04:09 PM
by Bob F.[_4_] Go to last post
8 436
restore my computer to a certin date by enrie
Some how only one of my users whole computer was reset. the other three were untouched. Now my question is how do i restore his computer to a last date. I saw once one of my freinds went to this place in control panel, and he set the date he wanted and he got it back.
March 6th 08 02:33 PM
by Bob Go to last post
4 429
Download files by Vero
Hi, when i download a file and i choose to save it, the box "close this dialog box when download is complete" is check. I wonder how I can unckeck it, because now, when I save the files, the box close and i'm not able to uncheck it. Thanks!
March 6th 08 07:03 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
3 320
User Account Pictures by Zetor
Where abouts on my computer is the folder which contains the User Account Pictures? I would like to add some more but have done numerous searches but cannot find the actual folder, any help much appreciated.
March 6th 08 06:56 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
1 291
Downloads by Greg G
I have Vista Home Premium. When I download items from the internet, they seem to go nowhere. I select a location, the dialogue box shows it downloading, then the dialogue box disappears and I cannot find the files. Does anyone know where they might go? This problem just started this past Sunday. I tried to do a restore point, but I cannot go back past a day or two. In XP, restore showed a...
March 5th 08 11:58 PM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
8 308
Ease of Access not working! by msk_2004
Dear all I don't know if I am the only person who is facing this problem or there is someone else too who face the same problem. When I go to Control panel of mine most of my setting features are not shown amongst whom the important one is the Ease of Access. I don't know if it is a problem which came by updating the Vista or what? I was thinking if SP1 for Vista could help me so please let me...
March 5th 08 08:58 PM
by msk_2004[_3_] Go to last post
5 363
Double-clicking an Excel XML file opens it up in Word! by Keith Howard
We save our Excel and Word files as XML, so that we can do search and replace operations over the XML text files. This causes the following problem: Even though the XML files contain information about which MS Office application was used to create the document (e.g. ?mso-application progid="Word.Document"? ), when I double click on an Excel file in Explorer, the file opens up in Word,...
March 5th 08 07:01 PM
by Keith Howard Go to last post
0 326
Trouble with folder layout (not folder permissions) inheritance by Keith Howard
Vista has more powerful capabilities than XP at specifying folder layout (e.g. width in pixels, via View | Choose Details...). However, Tools | Folder Options... | View | Apply to Folders does not seem to inherit to certain folders. I’m not sure, but it seems that folders that have been migrated from XP do not inherit the layout specified on new folders in Vista, even if they are below in...
March 5th 08 06:55 PM
by Keith Howard Go to last post
0 271
Trouble with folder layout (not folder permissions) inheritance by Keith Howard
Vista has more powerful capabilities than XP at specifying folder layout (e.g. width in pixels, via View | Choose Details...). However, Tools | Folder Options... | View | Apply to Folders does not seem to inherit to certain folders. I’m not sure, but it seems that folders that have been migrated from XP do not inherit the layout specified on new folders in Vista, even if they are below in...
March 5th 08 06:53 PM
by Keith Howard Go to last post
0 275
Problem with folder layout (not permissions) inheritance by Keith Howard
Vista has more powerful capabilities than XP at specifying folder layout (e.g. width in pixels, via View | Choose Details...). However, Tools | Folder Options... | View | Apply to Folders does not seem to inherit to certain folders. I’m not sure, but it seems that folders that have been migrated from XP do not inherit the layout specified on new folders in Vista, even if they are below in...
March 5th 08 06:48 PM
by Keith Howard Go to last post

From The