Vista Search/Index not running

Old January 20th 08, 09:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Default Vista Search/Index not running

Hi, my vista Home Premium has yet again got the index/search not working.
Start/Control panel/ Index Options, gives me a dialogue box that says the
index is not running and all the other functions are greyed out. I have had
this before and found that I had to reinstall Vista (a fix was expected early
08) I believe it is being caused by my external hard drive being removed and
the drive no longer is available to the Index?.
I have tried the "0 in SetupCompletedSuccessfully" fix, and copying the
gathrprm.txt and schema.txt files to the configure Folder.
I have a Sony VGN-FZ11z fully updated with Vista Home Premium.
I really don’t want to reinstall again, can anyone PLEASE help.
Thank

Old January 20th 08, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
HappyAndyK[_3_]

Ensure that these are the services are running and set on Automatic: Windows
Search, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), DCOM Server Process Launcher.

Rebuild Index.

--
http://www.WinVistaClub.com

Old January 20th 08, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Hi,
RPC, DCOM & Windows Search all on auto, but the Windows search service will
not start. A dialogue box come up:
"Windows could not start the Windows search service on Local Computer"
Error 3: The system could not find the path specified,
when I select start.

Help!!!!
& thanks.

Old January 20th 08, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_2871_]

HappyAndyK" wrote:

Ensure that these are the services are running and set on Automatic:

Windows
Search, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), DCOM Server Process Launcher.

Rebuild Index.

--
'WinVistaClub : Microsoft Windows - News, Views, Tips, Security,

Downloads, Features & More' (http://www.WinVistaClub.com)

Hi Mike,

Leave the service set as Automatic, then follow these steps here. When
done, restart the computer. It should start the service and the Index.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old January 25th 08, 07:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Hi Shawn, sorry this is the first chance Ive had to try the links
suggestions! Ive followed the instructions to the letter, but still no joy!
The only diffrence my system had to the instructions were, I didnt have an
Applications folder. I have added one to the Data folder now.

Thanks
Mike

Old January 25th 08, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Brink

"brink" wrote:

Mike;579461 Wrote:

Hi Mike,

Leave the service set as Automatic, then follow these steps here.

When
done, restart the computer. It should start the service and the

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...h-service.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that it did not help you. You can do a System
Restore using a restore point dated before the problem started.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

If that still does not help, then you can do a Repair install. This
will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep your user
account files, settings, and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

Old January 27th 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike

Hi, I ended up reinstalling Vista. What a hassel. So, my final question is,
should I not have enable the indexing on my external hard drive?. Is it
possible that by doing so, it had messed up the indexing?
Thanks
Mike

Old January 27th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Brink

Mike;587585 Wrote:
Hi, I ended up reinstalling Vista. What a hassel. So, my final question
is,
should I not have enable the indexing on my external hard drive?. Is it
possible that by doing so, it had messed up the indexing?
Thanks
Mike

Mike,

If you leave it connected and on with the computer on, I do not see how
it could hurt anything. It may have errored out after the index tried to
run when it was not connected. To be safe, I would leave the external
drive off the added index locations and use the non-indexed search when
doing searches on it.

Shawn

Old January 27th 08, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Brink

"Brink" wrote:

Mike;587585 Wrote:

Mike,

If you leave it connected and on with the computer on, I do not see

how
it could hurt anything. It may have errored out after the index tried

run when it was not connected. To be safe, I would leave the external
drive off the added index locations and use the non-indexed search

when
doing searches on it.

Shawn

--