Graphics Card upgrade killed DVD playback

Old January 27th 08, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
anarchy89

Default Graphics Card upgrade killed DVD playback

Upgraded from 7300se to 8600gts, and now using a DVI connection instead of
VGA. Used to be able to play DVDs through Media Centre or WMP11, but now I
recieve the error C00D1163 - that "there is a problem with digital copy
protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card". I have the
newest nVidia drivers, newest soundcard drivers. Any ideas - I'm using Vista
Home Premium 32bit.

Oh and DVDs play fine through PowerDVD or VLC, but I want to be able to use
Media Centre because I have a remote - and also out of principal that I can't
fix it!
Old January 28th 08, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
peter

The newer video cards have Digital Copy Protection on the DVI outlets ..this
is new in VISTA
You now need a new LCD monitor with HDCP support..........or just continue
to use PowerDVD
peter

Old January 28th 08, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
anarchy89

But when I bought the new graphics card, it never mentioned that I would need
a new monitor to watch DVDs - I thought the HDCP was for HD video?

If it is the case, shouldn't the graphics card manufacturer have told me this?

Old January 28th 08, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Switch back to the VGA connection you won't loose any resolution detail and
you might not even notice if you have a minor degradation of color quality.

Old January 28th 08, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

You can however use a DVI to VGA adaptor. If one did not come with the card
then you can buy one at Radio Shack.