Memory upgrade problem

Old February 12th 08, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieA

Default Memory upgrade problem

Am running Vista 64 Business on XFX 680i Sli LT with 2Gb ram, Quad core 6600,
7600GT video. System runs fine, but I want more memory to help performance.
When I try to install additional 2Gb, I get a blue-screen every time I boot
(some blue screens have an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, most have no error
msg). I did find a Microsoft update that may have something to do with this:

Is there a way to determine if my installation of Vista already has this
installed? I've already checked the Control Panel/Windows Update/Review
Update History, it's not in there, I thought it may be in the core install on
the DVD?.

Does anyone have a similar problem or know if this update might help? Thanks
Old February 12th 08, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Charlie.

I'm not familiar with that mobo/BIOS. Does it require a change in BIOS
settings to support the 4 GB?

When I added 2 GB of OCZ PC-6400 to the existing 2 GB in my EPoX MF570sli
mobo recently, it "just worked". Both the POST screen and Vista Ultimate
x64 immediately saw the full 4 GB with no tweaking at all.

Your blue screens suggest to me that your new RAM is not installed
properly - or are not the proper DIMMs for your machine. You said:
(some blue screens have an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, most have no error
msg).

This inconsistent-BSOD symptom usually indicates hardware problems. Maybe
you just need to use a bigger hammer to seat the DIMMs in their slots. Or
maybe you need to double check your mobo documentation to be sure that you
have compatible DIMMs, and that they are paired up in the right slots.. As
you probably know, sometimes perfectly-good DIMMs won't work unless they
match the previous ones, or other such quibble. I haven't had the problem,
but several users have posted such hassles. In my case, the new ones were
identical to the originals and everything worked on the first try. ;)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old February 12th 08, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Your mobo appears to one the many that cannot handle a dimm in the fourth
dimm slot at 800. This is a particular problem with pc6400 of all sorts.
The resolution is to reduce the dram speed to 667 or use pc5300. It has
nothing to do with the amount of ram but with the number of sticks. It is
common on mobos that use the nVidia chipsets, specifically the nForce 4,
650i, 680i, etc. The MS patch is not commonly the resolution.

Old February 12th 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieA

To answer the above posts:

The new memory is the same brand, same rev., same timings etc. The MOBO
does not require settings change to change the amount of memory in the
machine (supports up to 8Gb). The POST works fine with 4 sticks, as does
memtest. The problem occurs after the initial Windows Vista boot screen
(where it has the green progress bar...). The screen goes to 'blue screen of
death', sometimes with the IRQL message, sometimes with just "Windows has
encountered an error and halted your machine...". That's why I think it's
related to Vista, not the MOBO or memory.

Memory has timings of 4-4-4-12 and runs fine with those settings at 800 with
the 2 sticks. I've tried running 4 sticks at 667, even 533 and relaxed the
settings to 5-5-5-18 (and higher), still get the same message blue screen.

Ideas?

Old February 13th 08, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieA

Refer to previous answer - I relaxed speed to 667, then 533, also relaxed
memory timings, same boot problem. Charlie

Old February 16th 08, 03:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CMShepard

Does Vista run fine if you go back to the two sticks of memory?
Any chance that the memory is overheating when you put in four sticks?
Is the power supply adequate?
Is the motherboard set to the correct voltage for the memory?
Memtest may not detect problems unless it is run for a long time.
It may be that the four sticks do not have the exact same timings,
and Vista is more stressful than a memory test.
Running four sticks seems to be problematic on some motherboards.

Old February 16th 08, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CharlieA

The problem is fixed - here is the resolution: After spending 1/1/2 months
on this problem, sending back (possibly noncompatible) memory sticks, trying
all suggestions here, as well as some others from the ram manufacturer and
MOBO manufacturer - the problem was a Microsoft update.

KB929777 - which was not found by update.microsoft.com nor by automatic
updates on the system itself . I installed the update, then 2) 2Gb sticks of
Geil Evo One (4-4-4-12) - booted and runs fine. I then installed the
original 2) 1Gb sticks of Corsair (4-4-4-12) - booted and runs fine. I set
the voltage to 2.0 (a bit high for the Evo One and a bit low for the Corsair)
then ran memtest overnight - no errors. And the timings are all at 4-4-4-12
and 800Mhz.

Thanks for your help and suggestions - can anyone tell me why an update like
this ould not be found by update.m or automatic - seems like this would be a
more prevalent problem than just me?... CHarlie