SATA hdd's

Old February 17th 08, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
inlivingcolour

Default SATA hdd's

I have 3 internal hdd's. Two Western Digital 500gb drives and one
Maxtor 400gb drive. All three are SATA II. I just realized my BIOS are
setup to run them as IDE. Should I be running them on SATA through the
BIOS? Is there a speed difference between running them on IDE settings
or SATA settings in the BIOS?

--
inlivingcolour
Old February 17th 08, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I think the BIOS is enabling PATA for some other reason than your hard
drives. The SATA controllers are what are determining disk operations.
Obviously, if the drives are not connected to an IDE controller then the
PATA setting cannot matter to the hard drives transfers.

Old February 17th 08, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Are the SATA cables to the drives connected directly to your MOBO or are
they using an adapter of some kind?

Old February 17th 08, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:31:58 -0600, inlivingcolour
wrote:

I have 3 internal hdd's. Two Western Digital 500gb drives and one
Maxtor 400gb drive. All three are SATA II. I just realized my BIOS are
setup to run them as IDE. Should I be running them on SATA through the
BIOS? Is there a speed difference between running them on IDE settings
or SATA settings in the BIOS?

SATA AHCI mode provides NCQ and hot plug. NCQ could provide higher
throughput in a multiuser environment, but for a single user computer,
it won't make any discernible difference.