Ping error 1232; can't connect to own router

Old February 22nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nojudge2000

Default Ping error 1232; can't connect to own router

I've searched thru here and other forums, tried a number of things, but
still can't connect to my own router. The posts here are not exactly
what I'm getting or the solution given doesn't work. Can you tell me
what to try before I go crazy over this? Here's the info:

4 pc's on home network, all XP except the problem one (vista)
2 wireless, 1 ethernet, want to connect problem pc wirelessly.
Router: Dlink DIR 625.

The 3 XP PC's are working fine. When I first got the Vista PC, I had
the same trouble; not sure what I did to get it to see the router (I
thought it was that I used a static address, but that's not working this
time.) I think it started not connecting after I installed a wireless
print server (which is working fine with the other PC's).

I CAN connect to my neighbor's wireless router (at least until it
disappeared from my list this morning). I CAN connect to my router via
Ethernet.

IP info:
Use static addressing (so that I can block my son's gaming pc from the
others on the network). Verified IP addresses on server -- Vista PC
address is there as a reserved address.

I have done the following things:
1. Verified in network connections the TCP/IP vsn 4 settings, match the
router settings.
2. Rebooted router.
3. Did a netsh wlan ssid=DLMnet add filter networktype=infrastructure
(and it was successful)
4. Ping - Can ping the loopback. ***Error 1232 when pinging router.***
Can ping router and other pc's (not this one) successfully from the
other pc's. I'd email you the ipconfig /all but my neighbor's signal
(thank goodness not everyone secures their network) is too weak this
a.m. Says under the wireless card:
****Media state: Media disconnected****

5. Have uninstalled and reinstalled wireless adapter (and then reset
the static IP address, of course, and tried everything again).
6. Verified that workgroup is correct.
7. Verified on router that it is broadcasting visibly.
8. Getting signals from both my own network (Signal strength
"excellent") and 3 others (but those are secured, I can't jump on them)
9. Using WEP encryption and have verified this several times that I
have the code keyed in correctly on the PC (working fine on the other
PC's).
10. I get same response when I use dynamic IP addressing.
11. I designate a channel on the router. All I could find to give a
channel on the PC is the "ad-hoc mode settings" so I set it there too,
for what that's worth.

This is such a big mystery...I'm dying to get it working, not only so I
can have my secure network back, but also because I'm so flummoxed as to
what else to try! Dlink website of course is useless. (Love their
equipment, hate their website!!!!)

THANK YOU so much.
Bonnie in PA

--
nojudge2000

Old February 22nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nojudge2000[_2_]

Oh, and also --
Turned firewall off on PC -- no effect.

Verified also that MAC from PC (from IP config) is typed in correctly
on router (along with IP address, although in ipconfig b/c it's "Media
Disconnected" it is not displaying an IP address there).

--
nojudge2000

Old February 22nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
nojudge2000[_3_]

That media disconnected bit didn't make sense so I checked settings
again and there's someplace you can access the security settings. The
WEP key had gotten blown away so I entered it again. Now on ipconfig
/all I get the right IP address (as I have in the reserved list on the
router), the router address for the gateway IP (as expected), DNS server
IP's as expected.

Doesn't someone out there have another idea for me? My awesome Network
Magic shows it (on my other pc's) on the network diagram as "offline".
(no doubt b/c i had it on the map before when it was working.)

Ping router, request times out, packets sent but none received.
Thanks thanks for coming to the maiden in distress!!!!

--
nojudge2000