Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

User Accounts

Old March 15th 08, 08:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Kjarri

Default User Accounts

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and until now I had no problem. But I
decided to make a new account (for my kids) and have it a standard account.
Then when I log in to that account it take a while for to make desktop
settings and then when it start on that Account I will get about 10 Poppups
windows telling me that "Windows cannot open this file: File MSASCui.exe,
rundl32.exe, SkyTel.exe, rundl32.exe (again), sidebar.exe, rundl32.exe (and
again), RAVpl64.exe, msconfig.exe, rundl32.exe (in the 4 time).
I the windows (like internet explorer) look like in older systems. I have
tryed to delete this account and make a new with same result. I deleted that
one to and make a new addministrator account and it look the same. The only
account that seems to be normal is my own account. What can I do?

More
I tryed to open notepad and I got the same popup window saying windows
cannot open this file (notepad.exe) and it is the same when I try wordpad
(wordpad.exe)
Seems that Windows dont know how to open exe files. (this is no problem in
my fyrst administrator account, where I can use my computer like normal. Open
files and programs without a problems, but not in any other accounts)??

thanks Kjarri

(another thing not relation to this. If i try to find support and open
knowledge base or some windows help page I will automaticly go to Thai
webside (its normal I am staying in Thai) but on that website it is
impossible to change the language to English. There is no link or anithing to
"click" on to get English. Nowdays when people are living all ower the world,
moving from one place to another it is strange to see web from "Windows
himself" that you cannot find any link or something to change languages. But
on the other hand Windows is one of few Americans companys that think "there
is not just America out there", there are lot of other countryes (and
customers)).
Thank you again

Kjarri
Old March 15th 08, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Kjarri

I did now open folder on my computer (using this new account that seems to be
problem with .exe files). In one of the folder windows I did rightclick and
did make "New Text Document" (that is in notepat) and the windows did make
this document. Another think is that I can open that document and edit and
save, without any problem. But I still cannot click on "start" button and
select notepad from the programs there because then I will get this popup
windows telling me that
"Windows cannot open this file:
File: Notepad.exe
To open this file, Windows need to know what program you want to use to open
it. Windows can go online to look it up autoatically, or you can manually
select from a list of program that are installed on your computer.
What do you want to do?
Use the Web service to find the correct program
Select a program from a list of installed programs"

I have tested som few other programs and I am not able to open them from the
start menu, but if I find a file on my hard drife (using the same program as
I was trying to open from start menu) I can open these files from my hard
drive. ??
If I select my documets for this username I will have lot of empty folders
there (for exsamble the desctop folder that is emty, but the real desktop on
the screen is not empty). I can copy files from my hardisk and paste them in
one of these folder and I can open documents and files from there too. But I
am still not able to open these same programs (that I using to open these
files), direct from the start menu.
I have tryed to find these programs in the program folders and I am not able
to open these programs (the .exe files) but I am able to open files that are
using these same programs and then these programs opens like normal.
It is confusing.

Old March 15th 08, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Mr Smiley[_7_]

Hi Kjarri

With all respect, if your system is as messed up as the spelling in
your post it's no wonder you're having problems.

What language have you got installed? English or your own?

May I suggest you try and keep your message/post short and to the point
otherwise you may not receive the amount of assistance you need.

Best of luck Kjarri and I hope you're children get to use your computer
soon!

Kind Regards

Neil

--
Mr Smiley

- Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB (BIOS 2602)
- Intel Core2Duo E6600 CPU
- G-Skill DDR2 800 4GB RAM
- Seagate 320GB x 2 Hard Drive
- Nvidia 7900 GT-TDH GPU
- Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music SC
- Logitech Z-5400 THX Digital 5.1
- Dell 2407WFP UltraSharp 24" LCD
- Antec 550W v2.0 PSU
- Antec P180 Case
- Logitech diNovo Edge KB
- Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
- Vista Ultimate x64
Old August 3rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
xfxbaker

I have about the same problem on my laptop. (Vista Ultimate)

I turned on the guest account and logged off of my user name. I logged
onto the guest account and received all of the popup messages telling me
"Windows cannot open this file:" and lists everything as above.

The sidebar is missing, the desktop icons are blank (white), and
nothing works when you try and open it, say iexplorer for example. The
start button works, however. The laptop is up to date as far as I know.
If anybody can give some sort of advice, I would appreciate it.

--
xfxbaker
Old August 3rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
t-4-2[_98_]

xfxbaker;794374 Wrote:
I have about the same problem on my laptop. (Vista Ultimate)

I turned on the guest account and logged off of my user name. I logged
onto the guest account and received all of the popup messages telling me
"Windows cannot open this file:" and lists everything as above.

The sidebar is missing, the desktop icons are blank (white), and
nothing works when you try and open it, say iexplorer for example. The
start button works, however. The laptop is up to date as far as I know.
If anybody can give some sort of advice, I would appreciate it.

Hello xfxbaker,
Please stop messing around with the guest account.
Logon to your admin account, remove the guest account. Open an user
account with your choice of name and password, and use that from now on.

--
t-4-2
Old August 4th 08, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
xfxbaker

t-4-2;794473 Wrote:
Hello xfxbaker,
Please stop messing around with the guest account.
Logon to your admin account, remove the guest account. Open an user
account with your choice of name and password, and use that from now on.

Meh, I just tried to turn on the guest account for when people around
the house want to use my laptop for a minute. Not a big deal really.

--
xfxbaker
Old August 4th 08, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

xfxbaker;794690 Wrote:
t-4-2;794473 Wrote:
Hello xfxbaker,
Please stop messing around with the guest account.
Logon to your admin account, remove the guest account. Open an user
account with your choice of name and password, and use that from now on.

Meh, I just tried to turn on the guest account for when people around
the house want to use my laptop for a minute. Not a big deal really.

Hi xfxbaker,

You might set up a standard account that your guests can use so that
they can have more access, but not to much. You can also use Parental
Controls on the Standard account to keep track of and further restrict
it. Just be sure to password protect your administrator account to help
prevent unauthorized access.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...setup-use.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old August 4th 08, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
xfxbaker

Sounds like a plan. I already have my administrator account password
protected. It just weirds me out thinking about other people rummaging
through my personal data. Thanks for the info, Shawn!

--
xfxbaker
Old August 4th 08, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

xfxbaker;794782 Wrote:
Sounds like a plan. I already have my administrator account password
protected. It just weirds me out thinking about other people rummaging
through my personal data. Thanks for the info, Shawn!

You can also change the Folder Permission to not allow access to it by
a certain user account to. This tutorial will show you how to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...rmissions.html