Old February 14th 07, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Default Upgrading drivers?

It really depends. most of the drivers Vista is going to pull will be from
the Windowsupdate site. Which doesn't mean, it's the best drivers to have
(i.e. vide cards) or the preferred video cad by your vendor. It also doesn't
mean the drivers will be there at all.

The answer is more along the lines of don;t worry about updating XP's
drivers, but finding Vista drivers. Vista may have the drivers you need or
at least drivers that work, but you normally want the drivers from the
device makers site. I have an HP 7210 printer\scanner\copier. Vista has the
drivers so I can print, but I don't have the software to where I can scan in
documents and printers. It's something like that is critical to your day to
day life, then you will want to wait

If you have a fairly generic setup, then it may not matter. But if you have
items like SATA\IDE RAID cards, certain style Wireless cards. TV tuner
cards, SmartCard by companies like Activindenty, VPN software, printers.
Also some programs aren't Vista compat. I use PCanywhere for work, but even
their latest version 12 doesn't work with Vista.

So look at everything you have and use and look to see if there are any Visa
updates for it. If there is something critical that doesn't have anything
listed for Vista, then you'll want to hold off on the upgrade, or take and
chance and hope it works with Vista. Just know your risks, before the
upgrade

"Jerry Hughes" wrote in message
news
Hello,
I've been trying to upgrade my notebook so it will be compatible with
Vista (running XP now) and have only been halfway successful. Then, on
the
Microsoft site, I read that when installing Vista, Vista will
automatically
search for program upgrades and updates. Does that mean that I won't have
worry much about updating my drivers , etc. because Vista will
automatically
update my system before it installs? Sounds too good to be true. Anyone
have any info on this? Or if I have done most of the updating already,
should
I still allow Vista to try to upgrade my drivers? Thank you for any
information.
Jerry