File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'

Old March 24th 08, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Stan

Default File is deleted, but still showing in 'Windows Search'

Thanks for your help. I'm going to give it a shot. When I go to control
panel, indexing options. I see 2 folders, startup and users. Before
clicking advance, which folder should I select? Do I select one, go thru the
process, then come back for the other? I have a laptop that is showing 300
kb of temporary files that will not go away either with disk cleanup. How
might I remove them for good? Thanks again.

"Bob" wrote:

Give it a shot. There's nothing to lose and it might solve your problem.

"stan" wrote in message
No, I haven't tried rebuilding the index yet. Still searching for answers
in
forums and message boards.

"Brink" wrote:

stan;660171 Wrote:
No. I give up! I've tried everything. It must be a Vista glitch?

"Bob" wrote:

Do you see the "files" in C:\Windows\Prefetch?

"stan" stan@xxxxxx wrote in message

Stan, did you try rebuilding the index?

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*

Old March 24th 08, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
On Request

When I rebuild my index, I find that it will do all the items shown at one
go. When you initiate the rebuild, it will say that it is doing it at low
priority; it will take quite a while (hours) to rebuild if you are using
your computer; however, if you refrain from using your keyboard and mouse
for more than 45 seconds, the indexing will go at full tilt and will finish
pretty quickly (minutes). As soon as you touch the keyboard or mouse again,
it will revert to the slow mode for another 45 seconds, etc. Also, because
I am curious about such questions, I make a note of how many items are shown
as indexed before starting the rebuild to see how much, if any, changes
occurred in the number; usually it is only a small difference, like 10 or
so. Let us know how you make out.

Old March 24th 08, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Stan

It worked! The files are gone now. Only 1 less index shown as index
following the rebuild. Think this will work on my laptop to rid it of
temporary files that I can't locate, but show up on the disk cleanup screen,
but never go away even after disk cleanup? Thanks again for all your help.
I'm learning and that's good.