Old February 14th 07, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Default Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

There has been no official support for this device for some while.. you may
have to call time on it.. there are other gaming devices out there that may
or may not get continued support..

"Racquel" wrote in message
My list of problems just keeps growing and growing. I am trying to
install
the controller onto my Vista system & have encountered several problems.
The
latest problem is while attempting to install the software, the
"installshield" application stops working almost instantly when it appears
be completeing installation ... then there are 2 choices I am given, one
is
to close the program & the other is to check online for a solution.
Needless
to say, the button for checking online yields no results . To address
other
problems, previously I was able to install the CD up to the point where it
would check the connection of the device to the USB but didnt recognize it
(USB port is active the working & computer itself recognizes the device &
that it was 'installed' properly) & also at another time I received an
error
message that 'critical system files are missing or corrupted' (to try to
fix
this based on microsofts suggestion of installing it as an administrator
doesnt work either) . I am at my wits end w/this thing... Can anyone
help?