Vista RC1 Activation Product Key Question

Old September 25th 06, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kevin John Panzke

Default Vista RC1 Activation Product Key Question

MSDN has Different Product Key Requirements with the Interim Build's (only
the MSDN Ultimate Edition Product Key worked with Builds 5472 and 5535),
Build 5728 is most likely the same thing. Also keep in mind that the Public
Download of Build 5728 is designed for the CPP Program Ultimate Edition
(only Ultimate Edition is Available for the CPP Program).

"Robert Firth" wrote in message
The technical beta keys for Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, and
Business work for 5728...

Robert Firth
http://www.winvistainfo.org

"Kevin John Panzke" wrote in message
Microsoft did indeed hand out the following to MSDN Subscriber's
beginning with Windows Vista Beta 2 (and possibly Microsoft Tech Net Plus
Subscriber's as well): Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home
Premium, and Windows Vista Business Edition Product Keys, however they
only work with the Beta 2 and RC1 Mile Stone Build's, and will not work
with the Build 5728 Interim Build. You need to use your MSDN, Microsoft
Tech Net Plus, or CPP Program Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Product Key
with Build 5728.

"Will Schuitman" wrote in message
The product key you have is only valid for Vista Ultimate if you
installed Home Premium or Home Basic or one of the others, it will not
let you activate it The vista DVD has all versions on it but you can
only activate the version you have the product key for and MSFT has only
given out keys for the Ultimate edition.

You can check which version you have installed by typing "winver" in the
run command

"Keith" wrote in message
Today I download RC1 and obtained a product key with the Windows Live
Log on and acount activation. When I installed Vista RC1 it did not
prompt me for a product key and installed. This was a fresh install
onto a computer. Now when I attempt to enter a product key Windows
vista rejects it, it already has a all numbers product key and I can
not activate the product. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this
problem?

TIA,

Keith

Old September 25th 06, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Colin Barnhorst

It is possible to install Vista without entering the PK. That should result
in a screen giving options for which edition to install. The PK you have is
only good for Ultimate, so if you have inadvertantly chosen a different
edition you cannot activate it. If so the edition you installed will only
run for 14 days. The only resolution is to reinstall Vista and provide the
PK when requested. It is the PK that tells Setup to install Ultimate and
not one of the other choices.

Old September 26th 06, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mark D. VandenBerg

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
It is possible to install Vista without entering the PK. That should
result in a screen giving options for which edition to install. The PK
you have is only good for Ultimate, so if you have inadvertantly chosen a
different edition you cannot activate it. If so the edition you installed
will only run for 14 days. The only resolution is to reinstall Vista and
provide the PK when requested. It is the PK that tells Setup to install
Ultimate and not one of the other choices.

Has anyone tried doing an upgrade from one Vista version to Ultimate by
using the CPP Product Key? Or is this feature not available yet?

Old September 26th 06, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Colin Barnhorst

It is not supported. Entering the Ultimate PK when you are running another
edition just gets you an "incorrect PK" message.

You can change the PK for the edition you are running but the Change PK link
does not facilitate changing between editions. You would have to run Setup
and choose Upgrade (or use the Anytime Upgrade website) to change from a
lower edition to Ultimate.

A downgrade to a lower level edition from Ultimate would require a Custom
Installation.