getting a company to listen

Old April 7th 08, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
husky86

Default getting a company to listen

I realize I may be asking the impossible question, but here goes:

When you have a relatively new OEM product (in this case an NVIDIA
motherboard) and the computer manufacturer doesn't seem to care that you are
missing Vista drivers, ultimately how do you ever get through to the company?

Every time I put this desktop to sleep, when I wake it up there's no
Internet connection. I must fully restart the machine each and every time in
order to get an Internet connection.

(I'm running a cable modem situation in a home office. I do have a router,
but bypassing the router entirely does not change the situation.)

The manufacturer has confirmed that this is a motherboard problem (NVIDIA's
nForce 680i SLI). More specifically, they say that NVIDIA has not released
an updated Vista driver to correct the situation.

This situation has been ongoing for at least 8 months.

Because the motherboard is an OEM product, NVIDIA won't talk with me
directly. The same is true for Microsoft.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is ever going to be any driver update.

Any suggestions?
Old April 7th 08, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

See if this fixes your sleep issue.

Go to Advance Power Settings.
Set hard drive to turn off a minute or 2 before sleep.
Set Hybrid and Hibernate modes to "Never/Off"
Under USB settings select "Disable"
Under Multimedia select "Allow ....."
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 7th 08, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
husky86

Hi Bob,

I'm running in "high performance mode."

As far as "Set hard drive to turn off a minute or 2 before sleep":

I only have an oiption to set the number of minutes period--not in relation
to "before sleep." Right now it's set to "Never."

I don't have options for Hybrid or Hibernate either.

The other settings are in line with what you have suggested.

Thanks!

Old April 8th 08, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

"husky86" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

I'm running in "high performance mode."

Disregard "mode".

As far as "Set hard drive to turn off a minute or 2 before sleep":

I only have an oiption to set the number of minutes period--not in
relation
to "before sleep."

That's what I'm referring to. e.g. Set hard drive to turn off after 13
minutes and sleep after 15 minutes.

Right now it's set to "Never."
I don't have options for Hybrid or Hibernate either.

Possibly because you have hard drive set to "Never."

Old April 8th 08, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
husky86

I was able to change all of the settings according to your recommendations.
I was able to find the hybrid and hibernate settings as well.

Unfortunately, I was still unable to produce an Internet connection upon
awakening the computer out of sleep mode.

Other suggestions that have been made include rolling back the driver (which
I have tried), as well as other network-settings changes. Nothing has worked
thus far.

The computer manufacturer continues to assure me that NVIDIA is working on
resolving this problem -- that it is a known issue and that an update will be
released sometime in the future. However, I don't believe this anymore. It
has been going on for far too long.

Any other suggestions you might have would be most sincerely appreciated!
Thanks very much for your help thus far.

Old April 9th 08, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Run sfc /scannow.

Also see:
How to Troubleshoot a Vista Sleep Mode Problem and Find a Solution
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 9th 08, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
husky86

The scan found no problems.... or at least I'm pretty sure this is the case.
Once the scan started, I left the computer alone. When I returned, the scan
had completed and the window had automatically closed itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the link to work. I have tried it on this
computer as well as another laptop computer. I only get error messages for
that link. Not exactly sure why.

Is there anyway you might be able to simply copy and paste the pertinent
information from that article?

Many thanks!

Old April 9th 08, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Even if you don't have any corrupt files the sfc /scannow window should not
close. Try running it in Safe Mode.

The link works fine. Copy and paste it into your browser.
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 9th 08, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
husky86

I ran sfc /scannow again. The scan found no problems.

I finally managed to get the link (above) working. It wasn't working for
the past 24 hours, then all of a sudden it started working. Go figure...

Anyways, I have tried a number of the different recommended changes in sleep
and hibernate settings, with no positive results. I will keep researching
and testing various settings. But not very hopeful at this point. =)

Thanks again!

Old April 9th 08, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, Norton AntiVirus, McAfee
VirusScan and/or Antispyware, and Zone Alarm (Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

-------
*Report back, please*