Defender Error 0x800703eb

Old May 6th 08, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bilvihur

Default Defender Error 0x800703eb

Since updating to the latest definitions, I've been getting this error. Popup
tells me that WD has stopped working, but Security Center says it is working.
What's the story? Thanks.
Old May 6th 08, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dave M[_3_]

bilvihur;

Have you just started running the AVG 8.0 update by any chance?

--
Dave M
Dave M's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25399

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 6th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dave M[_4_]

bilvihur;

OK, are you on a corporate network using WSUS, or a home user?

If using WSUS, confirm BITS and dependent services are functioning
correctly (from Engel/Stu):

Start/Run
Type "services.msc"
Click "OK"

Please check that the following services are started:

1.Automatic Updates
2.Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
3.Cryptographic Services
4.Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
5.System Restore Service

To verify that BITS is correctly configured :

1. Double-click 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'
2. In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then Apply.
3. Click the 'Log On' tab, and then verify that the service is enabled
in
every hardware profile that you have listed. If the service is disabled
in
one or more hardware profiles, click the hardware profile, Enable, and
then
Apply.
4. Click the General tab and then Start.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Old May 6th 08, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bilvihur

I'm a home user running Vista Basic. What does the error message indicate?

Old May 7th 08, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Engel

Hi bilvihur,

0x800703EB = ERROR_CAN_NOT_COMPLETE

Probably BITS service is stopped.

- -- ---

Old May 7th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Engel

Start/Run
Type "services.msc"
Click "OK"

Please check the following are started:

1.Automatic UpdÂȘtes
2.Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
3.Cryptographic Services
4.Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
5.System Restore Service

To verify that BITS is correctly configured :

1.Double-click `Background Intelligent Transfer Service.`

2.In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then Apply.

3. Click the `Log On` tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in
every hardware profile that you have listed.

If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click the
hardware profile, Enable, and then Apply.

4. Click the General tab and then Start.

If BITS starts successfully, visit the Windows Update Web site or the
Microsoft Update Web site to see if you can obtain updates. If it works OK,
change (2.) to automÂȘtic.
-
If you still receive the same errors, verify that you have correctly
performed steps 1 through 5.
- -- ---

Old May 9th 08, 11:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bilvihur

I rechecked services.msc, and everything appeared 'started' and functioning.
I have not gotten the error in 2 days, so don't know what might have changed.