Rundll32 error in IE

« - | - »

Old May 12th 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SG[_3_]

Default Rundll32 error in IE

Good deal and you are most welcome. Thanks for posting back and remember to
keep those two programs and keep them up to date.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

"richene416" wrote in message
IT WORKED!!! Ad-Ware caught a worm, and Super Anti-Spyware caught 150
files,
including a lot of adware, malware and one Trojan!

Thank you so much for your help!!!

"SG" wrote:

First of all you are not being a pest and I hope we can find and fix your
problem.
I'm really not sure what LimeWire would have to do with your problem and
the
two options I gave you usually fixes it. If it were I and given what you
have already tried I think I'd try a System Restore just before you
installed LimeWire. It's appears something has intergraded into your IE
settings and you may not be able to find it.

Before you try System Restore you can try two more Spyware removal
programs
and see it one will pick it up.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Ad-Aware 2007 Free

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
SUPERAntiSpyware Free

Both of these are excellent programs and I'd recommend keeping them both
along with SpyBot S&D.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

"richene416" wrote in message
news
Still getting the pop-up window. Seems like this started when I
subscribed
&
downloaded LimeWire. I tried to download a couple of things, and I
think
that's when all this started.

Should I uninstall Limewire and anything that I have downloaded from
that
site?

Thanks again for your help - sorry I'm being such a pest!

"SG" wrote:

1.. Open Internet Explorer 7.

2.. From the Internet Explorer 7 command bar, choose Tools and then
Internet Options.

3.. In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.

4.. Below the Security level for this zone area, and directly above
the
OK, Cancel, and Apply buttons, click the Reset all zones to default
level
button.

5.. Click OK on the Internet Options window.

6.. Close and then reopen Internet Explorer 7.

7.. Try again to visit the web sites that were causing your problems
see if resetting the Internet Explorer 7 security settings on your
computer
helped.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

"richene416" wrote in message
I did as you said and I still get the message. I'm sure it's a virus
or
malware, but not sure how to get rid of it since Spybot & Norton
either
one
pick it up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

"SG" wrote:

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, and then
click
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Do you still get the message?

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft

"richene416" wrote in
message
Everytime I try to open a new webpage I get a dialog box asking
me
if I
want
to allow or not allow rundll32 to run. Is this normal (I never
had
this
problem a few weeks ago and have not downloaded anything)? If not
normal,
how
do I fix it?

Old May 13th 08, 12:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
richene416

Good morning,

Was wondering if you could help me with something else. Since I've fixed all
the viruses, malware, etc., I'm getting this message when I start up:

Error loading: C:\Windows\System32\cpmsky.dll
The specified module could not be found

Any idea what this is? Should I be worried?

Thanks again,
Donna

Old May 14th 08, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SG[_3_]

Hi Donna,

Just for the purpose of looking, we will delete the line later if there.
Do the following....

Click Start, in the "Start Search" at the bottom type: Regedit
You will see it appear at the top, double click it and UAC will prompt you
for permission, select Continue.

Now, look for the following branch.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, just to the left of that name you need to click the
little triangle to expand the branch. Now look for SOFTWARE then Microsoft
then WINDOWS then CurrentVersion. Under CurrentVersion you now need to look
down that key for the RUN Key. Click on the RUN key to highlight it then in
the right hand pane see if you have the follow String Value.

[PostSetupCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Rundll32.exe
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cpmsky.dll" DllStart

If it's there or not close Registry Editor and post back what you saw.

Old May 15th 08, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
richene416

SG,
I followed the instructions you gave me, and it showed exactly what you had
typed below.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Donna

Old May 15th 08, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SG[_3_]

Hi,

I was afraid so :( it's a nasty.

Go here and download HijackThis 1.99.1
http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

You can choose The Authors Site is fine for downloading.

Run it and look for this line exactly.......
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PostSetupCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Rundll32.exe
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cpmsky.dll" DllStart

Check the box to remove it, reboot and post back.