Vista Dual Monitors

Old May 29th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jverdin

Default Vista Dual Monitors

I listed all setup information first and the problem below.

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
8GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB
(2) Acer 22" Widescreen Displays (AL2216W)
Extended Desktop Mode
Monitor 1 on my right configured as secondary
Monitor 2 on my left configured as primary

Okay up until today everything was working great! Honestly, I didn't change
anything. What happened was Monitor 1 disappeared.
1.I went to Nvidia control panel and it couldn't find a 2nd display.
2.Checked all physical connections
3.Updated to the latest Nvidia Drive
4.Recieved an error nvcpl could not resume extended profile (recalling
this from memory)
5.Uninstalled the nvidia drivers re-installed the latest (error again)
6.Called EVGA (graphics card mfg) Reproduced the error
7.Vista doesn't show a second display
8.The monitor does show all boot screens
9.EVGA is sending me a new card.

I don't think the card is the issue though here is why

1.Uninstalled all Nvidia applications (shame on Nvidia for not having a
good uninstaller) using Driver Cleaner Pro
Reinstalled (no errors this time).
Monitor 1 still doesn't work.

2.Switched the physical connections (if it was the card wouldn't it be a
problem with a specific dvi output?)
Monitor 1 still doens't work.

3.However, when I turn Monitor 1 off and unplug the DVI cable then plug
it back in and power on the monitor Vista finds it.
Vista Labels it non-pnp and max resolution I can get is 1024 x 800
Nvidia Ctrl Panel is useless at this point it will not allow me to

make Monitor 1 primary nor will Windows.
I restart and it disappears again

4. I update the monitor drivers to the acer vista 64 drivers.
Repeated step 3 Still cannot change the resolution.

This is as far as I've gotten if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Please not this happens in all modes even clone. While I don't think its the
card the mfg is sending me one so I might as well test it (but I might also
get a free upgrade however unlikely).

--
Thanks,

Old May 30th 08, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Martin Stein

Attach the monitor to another computer and see if it works there. Maybe it's
the monitor?

Try turning everything off, unplug the power for a minute and then boot back
up.

Maybe your motherboard BIOS needs updating? Unlikely though.

Maybe it's the cable?

Old May 31st 08, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jverdin

Nope got the new Video Card in the mail today and to no aval. I can still
not get it to hook up.

Also I hooked up my notebook via vga cable and it worked fine. This has to
be something in Windows any ideas?

Old May 31st 08, 10:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
petrossa

jverdin;731851 Wrote:
Nope got the new Video Card in the mail today and to no aval. I can
still
not get it to hook up.

Also I hooked up my notebook via vga cable and it worked fine. This has
be something in Windows any ideas?

are you using the generic nvidia drivers? I had problems like yours
(but right of the bat) after installing the latest generic nvidia build
on my ASUS EN8600 GTS. After i reinstalled the drivers that came with
the card (dated somewhere middle 2007) it worked fine

--
petrossa

I am not a crook