Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Task Scheduler message display

Old June 7th 08, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Avery Tom Deacon Harry[_2_]

Default Task Scheduler message display

I put this question in the wrong discussion group by mistake, so here it is
again, in the right one.

I can get Task Scheduler to display a message. However, if I am actually
USING
the pc when it is time for the reminder to activate then the message gets
shunted to the back of the screen, and is "displayed" UNDERNEATH the open
windows.
In other words the reminder is NOT displayed, it's hidden, and doesn't
remind anything. It is pretty damned useless like this (about as much as a
chocolate teapot) and I can't find the option to display the message ON TOP
of the other open windows (to be any good it should display on top by
default).
Where is this option, or has this necessary action just been overlooked by
microsoft?
Old June 7th 08, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
PaulB

I haven't been able to find the answer to putting the message on top but at
least mine makes a sound and displays in the launch area to alert me.
--
Paul

Old June 8th 08, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Avery Tom Deacon Harry[_2_]

Just thought of a way round this problem (which probably won't work anyway).
1/ construct a jpg of the message
2/ get windows media player to display the jpg, having previously set the
player to always be on top of other windows at all times.
This will work only if it is possible to isolate one particular jpg to the
player and leave all other jpg's to display as normal.
Is this isolation possible, if so then how?

Old June 12th 08, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Dwarf

Hi,

Try the following workaround.
Firstly, create a folder in the root of your system drive and name it
'UserTaskMessages'. Next, use 'Notepad' to create your message and save it in
this folder with a meaningful filename. Keep this folder open for reference
purposes whilst you create your task.
Open 'Task scheduler'. In the left hand panel click to highlight 'Task
Scheduler Library' and in the 'Actions' panel click 'Create Basic Task...'.
The 'Create Basic Task Wizard' opens on the 'Create a Basic Task' page. In
the text box next to 'Name:', give your task a unique name, for example
'Test'. In the text box next to 'Description:' you can enter an optional
description for your task, for example the filename of the desired message.
Click 'Next '.
The 'Task Trigger' page appears. Under 'When do you want the task to
start?', click 'One time' and then click 'Next '. This is for testing
purposes.
The 'One Time' dialogue page appears. Add 2 or 3 minutes to the time shown
and then click 'Next '. Remember that this is for testing purposes - you can
amend the schedule by following the instructions later on in this post.
The 'Action' dialogue page appears. Under 'What action do you want the task
to perform?', you might think that the correct option is 'Display a message'
but in fact the correct one is 'Start a program' (default). Click 'Next '.
The 'Start a Program' dialogue appears. Here you can enter the required
parameters as follows. In the text box under 'Program/script:' enter
'C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe'. In the text box next to 'Add arguments
(optional):', enter the filename of the desired message that you created
earlier. In the 'Start in (optional):' text box, enter the path to the folder
you created earlier, in this case 'C:\UserTaskMessages'. Click 'Next '.
The 'Summary' page appears. Here you can review the information that you
entered. If you wish to change anything, you can click ' Back' to go back to
the relevant page to amend it. When you are happy with the settings, you can
click 'Finish' on this page.
The task will execute at the set time and the message will appear on top of
any other open windows. Once you are satisfied that the task works, you can
amend the schedule so that it executes at the desired time.
To do this, right click on the task and select 'Properties'. The properties
page for the task will open in the 'General' tab. Click on the 'Triggers'
tab, highlight the current trigger and then click 'Edit...'. The 'Edit
Trigger' dialogue will open. Here you can amend the schedule for your task.
Click 'OK' twice to close the properties dialogues and then close the 'Task
Scheduler' and the 'UserTaskMessages' folder.
Your task will execute according to your set schedule, and the message will
appear on top of any other open windows.
Apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to make it as clear as
possible for you.
Dwarf

Old July 2nd 08, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Avery Tom Deacon Harry[_2_]

What a performance to get an incredibly simple result, one that could be
provided by M'soft very easily. All they would have to do is to issue an
update to the task-scheduler program that includes the option "display on
top?" (an option that should logically have been included from the start as
there is no point in even having qa reminder if it is very likely that the
reminder will not be noticed).
This is the reason why this event should also have been provided with its
own sound, something a bit more noticeable than an almost inaudible, and
pathetic, little "ding".
Pull your finger out M'soft, you're slacking.