Assign same file extension to different programs - how?

Old June 14th 08, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Axel Dahmen

Default Assign same file extension to different programs - how?

Hi,

I've noticed that on my machine files with file extension .sln have been associated with two different programs, Visual Studio 8 and Visual Studio 9.

Solution files saved by VS8 are associated with VS8 while Solution files saved by VS9 are associated with VS9.

I'd like to learn how this is accomplished. Usually a single file extension can only be assigned to a single program.

Can anyone please enlighten me on how this is done?

TIA,
Axel Dahmen
Old June 19th 08, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Axel.

Usually a single file extension can only be assigned to a single program.

Not true. While it is common practice and usually a good idea to reserve a
particular extension for a certain kind of file, that has never been a
requirement. If you want to change Text.txt to Text.doc or to Text.xxx - or
to Text.VS9, go right ahead. You will probably get a warning that it may
create problems, but neither Vista nor WinXP will stop you from changing the
extension if you insist.

I don't know anything about Visual Studio, so I don't know about your
specific question.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old June 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_]

Hi Axel,

My guess is that the VS executable (or a stub program) reads the version
information in the project file and launches the appropriate version of the
VS IDE.

File type associations for .SLN can be viewed using FileExtInfo program.

1. Download FileExtInfo.zip from he
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

2. Unzip the utility and extract the files to Desktop.
3. Double-click "FileExtInfo.exe" to run it.
4. Select .SLN file type from the list
5. Click "View file association report"
6. Copy the contents of the report and include it in your reply.

Another scenario: XML files created by Winword store the ProgID
Word.Document.x, and XML files created from Excel has the Prog ID
Excel.sheet stored on file. Eventually IE (configured to open XML files by
default) reads the ProgID inside the XML and launches the correct program.

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

Old January 4th 10, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
M Claude

I have notice that the version is indicated on the icon of the .sln
file. Is it manage by VS as well?

Marie

--
M Claude