Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Searching email in Exchange (http://www.vistabanter.com/13157-searching-email-exchange.html)

S. Alter December 8th 06 09:30 PM

Searching email in Exchange

Using Windows Desktop Search on XP allowed me to index all my email accounts
from our corporate Exchange (2003) server and (it then stored the index
localy).

Using Vista Search, this does not seem to be the case. Using 'Indexing
Options' -- Modify -- Microsoft Office Outlook, I only see my primary email
address (i don't see any of my other accounts) and it is grayed out. When I
hover with the pointer, it says "This email store will not be indexed by
default unless it is cached localy. To enable indexing you need to adjust
your Outlook email account settings to cache email localy" - which is of
course a pain - i have 4 PC/Laptops and my email accounts included gigabytes
of stuff.

Any solution to this conundrum? Is it not possible to force Vista Search to
index directly from Exchange and store the index localy (as was the case on
XP)?

Thanks in advance!

S. Alter

Dave Wood [MS] December 21st 06 06:59 PM

Searching email in Exchange

It's possible to index non-cached stores but it's not enabled by default.

There's a Group Policy to enable this called "Prevent indexing uncached
Exchange folders" which needs to be disabled.