how many cores can vista run

Old July 7th 08, 12:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Korben Dallas[_2_]

Default how many cores can vista run

does anyone please know how many cores can vista run on? im building computer
for man doing rendering, so he needs as many cores as possible but still
needs to run vista. so my question is can vista run for example on 4 CPUs
each Quad core?
Old July 7th 08, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Juan Perez

Hi:

As far as I know except for the home version the rest will support 2
physical CPU´s max.

System Requirements
Windows Vista recommended system requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

--

Un Saludo
Juan Perez

Old July 12th 08, 04:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stonewall

Colin Barnhorst;769616 Wrote:
"Only Windows Server editions can use 4 cpus and up.

Huh? I just bought HP quad core w vista home premium. They claim it
works, and you say it doesn't. How can I tell whether it's using all 4
or just 1?

--
Stonewall
Old July 12th 08, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jane C

"Stonewall" wrote in message

Colin Barnhorst;769616 Wrote:
"Only Windows Server editions can use 4 cpus and up.

Huh? I just bought HP quad core w vista home premium. They claim it
works, and you say it doesn't. How can I tell whether it's using all 4
or just 1?

--
Stonewall

A quad core is still only one physical cpu.
--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Old July 12th 08, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Hey Stonewall
I've got a HP Quad Core running and yes it is only one physical CPU, it is
using all four cores.
I've also got a gadget on the side bar showing quad core usage. You can
Google for Vista gadgets to find a quad core monitor.

Mickey

Old July 12th 08, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"Stonewall" wrote in message

Colin Barnhorst;769616 Wrote:
"Only Windows Server editions can use 4 cpus and up.

Huh? I just bought HP quad core w vista home premium. They claim it
works, and you say it doesn't. How can I tell whether it's using all 4
or just 1?

--
Stonewall

I said no such thing. You don't have 4 cpus. You have one cpu with four
cores. Like I said.

Old July 26th 08, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stonewall

Mickey Mouse;774147 Wrote:
Hey Stonewall
I've got a HP Quad Core running and yes it is only one physical CPU, it
is
using all four cores.
I've also got a gadget on the side bar showing quad core usage. You
can
Google for Vista gadgets to find a quad core monitor.

Mickey

Thank you for your excellent reply, particularly for the hint about the
Gadget. I found it, installed it, and it verifies that all 4 cores are
used on my Vista Home Premium HP. This is a very neat, showing what
each of the 4 are doing at any given time.

Reference:

'MultiMeterQ.gadget downloadable here'
(http://cid-4df2492d7f4580a1.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/230+%20Vista%20Sidebar%20Gadgets/MultiMeterQ.gadget?wa=wsignin1.0)'.'
(http://cid-4df2492d7f4580a1.skydrive...?wa=wsignin1.0)

--
Stonewall
Old July 31st 08, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Octoron

Wow, they failed to mention the # of processors the OS can use as a
feature. Is there anyway one could upgrade from say Home Premium to
Business? Or have I just fallen victim to the "Way too many Versions"
problem?

--
Octoron
Old August 2nd 08, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stonewall

Vista Home Premium works just fine for me to run a Quad-Core processor,
and the Gadget allows you to monitor activity in each of the 4 cores.

--
Stonewall