Power Supply Problem!?

Old July 21st 08, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leon_Amirreza

Default Power Supply Problem!?

Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

Old July 21st 08, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"Leon_Amirreza" wrote in message
Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

You didn't say what the power supply is. Have you checked on the mfg's
website for information? Is this a brand name computer?

Old July 21st 08, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave T.[_2_]

Leon_Amirreza wrote:
Hi, I know this may not be related to Vista but did not know any better
place to
post my question (More appropriate weblogs and links are appriciated):

when I turn on the computer test the chasis (the metal cover) of my power
supply with a Continuity Tester suprisingly the screwdriver lights!

any clues whats the problem and how should I avoid it? I know i can short
circuit the case to ground to protected users from shock but it may cause
power leakege (and more energy consumption) and its not a long term
solution.

what should I do to detect to problem and solve it!?

More info needed...does your tester have a battery in it? If it has a
battery in it, you are checking continuity and the screwdriver should
light up. If your tester is the type without a battery, then you are
checking for voltage. See, 2 different tests depending on what kind of
tester you are using.

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Old July 22nd 08, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

They do make a power supply tester. I would check your receptable for a
ground and proper wiring with a tester.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Old July 22nd 08, 05:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leon_Amirreza

Hi,
Its without the battery!

Old July 22nd 08, 05:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leon_Amirreza

the cable used to connect the power supply to the plug in the wall has 3
pins. i guess the middle is for ground. I disconnected the ground pin in the
wall socket so actually the ground pin is not connected to the ground.
I took it to a friends house wich has a power supply tester (i dunno wich
model) but it tested my power supply like this:

it conncted to the socket to the wall and then connected the plug that
connects to mother board to that tester. the tester has LEDs for theses
voltage:
+5v
-5v
+12v
-12v

He said that my power supply works correct cause all LEDs lights!

Old July 22nd 08, 05:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leon_Amirreza

I contacted the manufacturer support they said this:

1- Its the power that induced by circuits inside the power supply (not a
short circuit) and its not above 200mA and can be solved by proper
grounding.

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire BUT
does this statement by the support personnel sounds logical to a circuit
engineer

OR ARE THEY WHITE WASHING A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN THEIR PRODUCT?

any comments would be appriciated.

Old July 22nd 08, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:21:47 +0330, "Leon_Amirreza"
wrote:

I know my power supply is not properly grounded cause i disconnected the
ground wire

Which means that you are a moron and that you are taking up everyone's
time unnecessarily.