Anyone have any info of HP Vista support for 5470C scanner?

Old December 16th 06, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Peter M

Default Anyone have any info of HP Vista support for 5470C scanner?

So would I but.... in case of point, Canon's newest scanners have vista
drivers, the ones they replaced do not. Yet, the engines and most everything
except extra function buttons and more neg/slide holders, are the same. So
how hard would it have been to write drivers for the previous models, IMHO,
not much but they won't. HP is the same or worse.

"Jan Ilacqua [MVP]" wrote in message
True. If it were not that I have another machine from which I can fax,
which has XP Pro SP2 installed, I'd be in a bit of a fix for my business.
Plus, my AIO is barely a year old. I don't feel that I should be expected
to go out an buy a new printer or additional fax machine simply because HP
does not want to provide drivers or software for a product that is barely
a year old. I have let their customer service know my feelings on this,
and as a long time HP customer, most of my machines and other devices
being HP for many years, I do expect them to support the products I bought
within the last 1-1/2 years. I have been told that they are working with
MS on those issues, and I am hoping that they will come through for the
more recent devices and machines. But, I know that I am not alone, and I
don't think they are going to try to put the boots to a large number of
their clientele but not providing necessary drivers/sw for current
equipment. However, time will tell.

Jan

Old December 17th 06, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jan Ilacqua [MVP]

"Robert Blacher" wrote in message
I have 2 HP machines here at home within 10 feet of me, so this is not
meant as a slap at the company but ....

I remember when Windows XP MCE went from first release to MCE 2005. HP
*initially* announced no intent to support the upgrade on my 8 month old
computer. I gave up and configured an OEM version myself. About 4 months
later, public pressure forced HP to supply the upgrade at a nominal price
($10 shipping and handling -- well, a small profit there somewhere but
fair enough).

So, keep screaming! I am typing this on a 3 month old HP running Vista
RTM 6000 x64 and could use a few drivers from HP to smooth out a few
wrinkles.

Agreed! And I am contacting them every other week to keep the pressure on.
Once they find out that people are not going to go out and spend more money
for 'Vista Ready" printers when they just purchased ones that should be
easily upgradeable, they will find that they will have to provide the
necessary drivers or lose a lot of business. And after 20 + years, mine in
cluded!

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE

[...]

What you wrote makes sense. When you fax through an external
multi-function-printer, for example, you do so by "printing" to the fax
modem that is specific to that device (in my case, a Samsung MFP
SCX-4521F). I *hope* Samsung will provide a Vista-compatible set of
drivers. I *pray* they will include Vista 64-bit drivers. As it now
stands, I'm using their 64-bit XP drivers under Vista RTM x64 and it is
truly a kludge. I can print fine although installing the printer driver
in a "clean" install of Vista is not something I suspect would be a task
for a newbie. I can scan ONLY using Samsung's 32-bit SmarThru4 program
(and getting that to run under Vista took hours even for a "pro" like me
:-} ). None of Vista's scanners ( Windows Fax and Scan, Pic Gallery
import, etc. work -- nor does Office 2007 RTM, btw). Ironically, I
managed to get it recognized by the Scanners and Cameras control panel
item which says it passes the diagnostics. Er, yes, but Vista and
Office keep saying it is jammed or otherwise malfunctioning while
SmarThru4 works fine).

I cannot fax from the computer through the external Samsung MFP it (but
I have an internal fax modem that Vista supports). Such is life for us
early adopters.

But, I don't blame that on MS. It's Samsung's job to update their
drivers and this is a printer they currently sell even directly on their
own website so I'm going to invent some new 4-letter words for them if
they don't come through!

"Jan Ilacqua [MVP]" wrote in message
Sorry...but...that is what I was I was told by an MS Vista Beta Team
member when I bugged the fact that I could not fax from Vista in the
RC1 and RC2. He told me that Vista will not support any such modems
that are not internal, and that I would have to get my fax software
from HP. When I asked HP about it, they said they are working with MS
to provide the necessary to support fax capability. It may be that
some hardware has already provided their software or drivers to
accommodate their hardware. Don't know about that. I suggest you
contact MS Help & Support and ask them.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
"as Vista will only support internal modems"

That's news to me, and, frankly, not entirely believable.

Jan Ilacqua [MVP] wrote:
I have an HP All-In-One 5510, and don't know if HP will provide any
drivers for it. However, the only thing that does not work is the
Fax, as Vista will only support internal modems, so XP will have to
provide what is needed for the AIO Fax to work.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
Title says it all: Does anyone have any information on what support
there will or will not be for the HP 5470C scanner (and 5490C ...
same scanner with ADF)?

Also, the HP Photosmart 7350 inkjet printer?

Old December 17th 06, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jan Ilacqua [MVP]

I don't know about Canon, as I have not owned one in over 10 years, but, I
know that they were pretty good about supporting their products at that
time. Guess things have changed since then.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE

Old December 20th 06, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Barry Watzman

Your statement was "Vista will only support internal modems", and I
simply don't believe that. I do not believe that Vista will not support
RS-232 serial external modems, or USB external modems. I'm not talking
about multi-function devices, I'm talking about modems, for data and
fax. Now that there may be no such drivers for the beta & RC releases,
that's different. But I will be shocked if the production release can't
support any external modems of any type. And I won't believe it until I
experience it and it's confirmed officially by Microsoft.