disk space taken up randomly

Old August 24th 08, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
nvmywrx

Default disk space taken up randomly

So here is my problem. I installed my ages of empires game and tried to
run it and it couldn't find the rockalldll.dll (At this point i had
about 6gb of space left) and so i was told to run registry booster so i
did that and it had many files that needed to be fixed. So i created the
backup that it says to do than repaired the registry's. After i did all
the my disk space has went to 400mb. Does anyone know why this would
be?!!!?? Also i checked the folder winsxs and its about 7 gb of file and
10,926 folders in it. I maybe be thinking if that could be my problem
also.

--
nvmywrx
Old August 24th 08, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Wandering[_2_]

"nvmywrx" wrote in message

So here is my problem. I installed my ages of empires game and tried to
run it and it couldn't find the rockalldll.dll (At this point i had
about 6gb of space left) and so i was told to run registry booster so i
did that and it had many files that needed to be fixed. So i created the
backup that it says to do than repaired the registry's. After i did all
the my disk space has went to 400mb. Does anyone know why this would
be?!!!?? Also i checked the folder winsxs and its about 7 gb of file and
10,926 folders in it. I maybe be thinking if that could be my problem
also.

--
nvmywr

Who told you to run registry booster? What would that have to do with disk
space? Heaven knows what damage has been done to which programs now. Few
of us here will ever recommend a registry cleaner. The problem is that they
often clean too much, and if you don't know what all those entries are for,
you will surely damage something. Normally you would try doing a system
restore to a point before your troubles began, but that may not work after a
registry cleaner has done its thing. One of the things Vista does is make
shadow copies of files, but it will release the space if needed for new
files. Even so it can use more than 10% of your disk space. It's where
things like system restore are.

DON'T mess with winsx! It is a key part of Vista.

Good luck.