mouse moves on its own

Old August 27th 08, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
puthp

Default mouse moves on its own

hi,

i know this sounds a little strange, but a few times now (in past few weeks
since i've upgraded to vista) i've found the mouse has moved on its own.

initially i thought perhaps i had moved the mouse, and there had been a
delay in what i saw on-screen, so i ignored it. but just now, i put my hand
on the mouse but didn't move it at all... and it very very quickly whizzed to
the right, and then far to the left, finishing right above my desktop
shortcut for Ad-Aware 2008

this has happened a few times, the sudden movements i mean. (i never paid
attention to where the mouse ended up)... it's very spooky, and i'm very
worried.

i'm not a security expert, so i've done scans with Ad-aware; spybot S&D; NAV
08 (now dumped due to IE problems it caused); Avast; Windows Malicious
software Remover... none of them found anything.

i also have the vista firewall on, and ZA firewall on (i'm a cautious
person) so nobody should be able to access my computer, but quite frankly i'm
frightened someone's got access to my computer... the sudden whizzing of my
mouse is quite alarming, off the top of my head usually it doesnt go -- then
--, i think when it happens it usually moves randomly, and ends up in a
completely different place to where i intend to move the mouse

so my question is, is there any way i can tell if someone can access/is
accessing my computer? (for example, would typing "netstat -n -a" into
command prompt, help at all?)

thankyou
Old August 27th 08, 06:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Flight

"puthp" schreef in bericht
[...]

This is great! The mouse itself is moving? Do you feed your mouse with corn
or cheese maybe?

Old August 27th 08, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke[_2_]

puthp wrote:

[...]

Is this a wireless mouse? If yes, change the battery. If a wired mouse, try
a different mouse. This behavior also can happen if you have a wireless
mouse and are in an environment where someone else also has a wireless
mouse. Your system can pick up their mouse movements.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 27th 08, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Eric Tiberius Duckman

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:11:17 -0700, Malke
wrote:

puthp wrote:

[...]

Go to "Start Settings Control Panel Mouse Pointer Options",
look under "Snap To" and make sure "Automatically move pointer to the
default button in a dialog box" is not checked.
--
"...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"
Old August 27th 08, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
puthp

My main question wasnt answered; is there anyway i can tell if someone has
access to my computer? can anyone help please

has my malware checks been thorough enough? i thought netstat might have
helped, although i'd need to be told which letters to type after 'netstat'

and, to those who tried to help:

*thanks malke, i'll give another mouse a go.

*eric, that option was already un-ticked

*beoweolfe, it is a wired mouse but its one of those laser ones, so theres
nothing to open, but i cleaned a little dust from underneath it (although not
much)

Old August 27th 08, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mark H[_2_]

If the mouse has specific manufacturer related drivers, install them.
Laser mice are known to be flaky without the proper driver. MS generic
drivers are not always the best solution.
Not only do they run and play all by themselves, they like to keep your
computer awake at night. (I suspect they are afraid of the dark.) But,
mostly if lighting conditions change (shading the mouse when you move, car
passes by the house, street light goes out, night light blinks, etc.) they
sometimes think they've been moved.

Old August 28th 08, 02:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
beoweolf

You are going to need to setup and review your Firewall audit logs to see if
anyone is coming into your system. As a first step, if you suspect someone
is sharing your desk top is to pick the low hanging fruit, disable RDP
remote desktop and/or any 3rd party sharing you have installed. Do what is
needed to give you peace of mind.

Tools like TCPview coupled with tasklist, might provide some insight if you
do not have intrusion detection installed.

Old August 28th 08, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
LoneStar[_3_]

"puthp" wrote in message
hi,

i know this sounds a little strange, but a few times now (in past few

weeks
since i've upgraded to vista) i've found the mouse has moved on its own.

This is a long-shot answer, but I've seen the problem in the past. If you
are using an optical mouse on a rug type surface, the mouse pointer will
have a tendency to travel on its own. Apparently the optical sensors
reflect off the rug type surface erratically. Using a ball mouse will test
your system and prove the point.

But again ---- a long shot. You've probably fixed it by now, right?

Old October 6th 08, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
CHEESE55

I have this same problem - have had it since starting to use Vista. The
mouse will randomly move back to the Start button or to the upper
right-hand corner of my display where there is a tool bar (ACER supplied
software). I am using an optical mouse on a wood-grain desk. If anyone
can send me instructions on how to correct this or where to find a patch
I'd greatly appreciate it. BTW - I used the same desk with XP and an
optical mouse and did not have this problem.

--
CHEESE55
Old October 7th 08, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Michael D. Ober

"CHEESE55" wrote in message

I have this same problem - have had it since starting to use Vista. The
mouse will randomly move back to the Start button or to the upper
right-hand corner of my display where there is a tool bar (ACER supplied
software). I am using an optical mouse on a wood-grain desk. If anyone
can send me instructions on how to correct this or where to find a patch
I'd greatly appreciate it. BTW - I used the same desk with XP and an
optical mouse and did not have this problem.

--
CHEESE55

Are you using the MS or Logitech drivers? If not, revert to the MS drivers
and see if the same problem occurs. This sounds like a driver problem. The
only other time I have seen mice move on their own is when the mouse tail
(cord) was hanging off the desk and dragging the mouse across the desk.
This tends to move the mouse up and to the side of the desk.

Mike Ober.