Vista x64 will not boot with 4GB of RAM

Old September 11th 08, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scmiles

Default Vista x64 will not boot with 4GB of RAM

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+
4 x 1GB DDR
nVidia nForce version 4 SLI 16 AMD

BIOS is latest from Asus.

After I enable the memory remap (hole) switch, the BIOS will see 4096MB
of RAM, but windows will never boot. It gets to the scrolling icon
screen for awhile then reboots. Also, safe mode will not boot.

I disable the memory remap and Vista will boot and show 2.5 GB of RAM.

Any ideas?

--
scmiles
Old September 11th 08, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

My Vista 64 bit PCs work fine with 4gb so I suggest that your RAM is not
100% compatible with your motherboard or one chip is not 100% compatible
with another one. I've never remapped in the BIOS. See if it will boot if
you reset BIOS to the default settings. What does Asus suggest?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

Old September 11th 08, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Some Asus boards require that you manually set memory timing to get past
this issue. Try doing this with the remapping enabled.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old September 11th 08, 10:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Shapiro

Some motherboard/ram combinations require either higher ram voltage or lower
ram speed when running 4 ram modules. Try some adjustments in the bios and
see if it helps. You can check the ram ratings for its max specified
voltage. If it's higher speed ram, it might well support higher than the
default voltage.

Old September 11th 08, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scmiles

'Welcome' (http://www.coribright.com/windows)

"scmiles" wrote in message

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+
4 x 1GB DDR
nVidia nForce version 4 SLI 16 AMD

BIOS is latest from Asus.

After I enable the memory remap (hole) switch, the BIOS will see

4096MB
of RAM, but windows will never boot. It gets to the scrolling icon
screen for awhile then reboots. Also, safe mode will not boot.

I disable the memory remap and Vista will boot and show 2.5 GB of

RAM.

Any ideas?

--
scmiles

Each stick has been tested separately, Vista boots with any single one
and boots with all the RAM in when the memory whole is disabled.

--
scmiles
Old September 11th 08, 12:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scmiles

"scmiles" wrote in message

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+
4 x 1GB DDR
nVidia nForce version 4 SLI 16 AMD

BIOS is latest from Asus.

After I enable the memory remap (hole) switch, the BIOS will see

4096MB
of RAM, but windows will never boot. It gets to the scrolling icon
screen for awhile then reboots. Also, safe mode will not boot.

I disable the memory remap and Vista will boot and show 2.5 GB of

RAM.

If this were the case the BIOS would not report 4096MB usable. Only
Vista is complaining not the mobo.

--
scmiles
Old September 11th 08, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

The voltage or speed problem often does not show up till Vista tests the
memory at boot time.
Do you have SP1 installed?
Also see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old September 12th 08, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Detected RAM is not necessarily usable RAM. Anyone who is over clocking
their computer will attest to this fact.

And, ASUS motherboards seem to have problems with certain RAM
configurations.

I had to up the voltages on my modules to get it to run stable.

Try what others have said bios adjustments - in small steps please.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old September 12th 08, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scmiles

"scmiles" wrote in message
If this were the case the BIOS would not report 4096MB usable.

Only
Vista is complaining not the mobo.

--
scmiles

I will try this tonight, but also let me clarify my post, because I
certianly understand the difference between installed and usaeable
memory.

There are two fields in the BIOS under system information, installed
memory and usable memory, after I enable the memory hole switch and
reboot and go directly back into the BIOS, the usable field changes from
2560MB to 4096MB.

The installed memory has always reported 4096MB

Vista boots successfully only when the usable field in the BIOS reports
2560MB, whenever it is reporting 4096MB it gets to the loading screen
and scrolls along for about 90 seconds the just reboots.

UPDATE: I have also tried disabling SLI mode, and booting into
safemode, and re-installing the nForce4 SLI 16 AMD chipset drivers with
no change in this behavior.

--
scmiles
Old September 12th 08, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Just because the bios (viewed under a no load condition) states the RAM is
usable does NOT mean that the RAM will function when under pressing loads.
By raising the voltage on my RAM it became stable and has been such for
three years now.