WD EHD my book ..again

Old September 24th 08, 08:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
camill

Default WD EHD my book ..again

Hey there!

I see there are lots of questions about WD external harddrives here. I
haven't been able to find an answer to my question, so I'm posting a new
topic. Sorry if this has been answered already somewhere.

Problem:

Just switched to Windows Vista home premium 64bits, and plugged in my
WD MYBOOK 500 gb. Both on the old computer (with Windows XP) and this
one, the WD logo is gone from the little icon for the EHD in "my
computer".

Also, on this new computer, files were not saving properly. In other
words: were corrupt and could not be opened by any program.

Using WD diagnostics (after backing up the drive) I was told there were
several bad sectors. Diagnostics were unable to reapair them. I then
opted for the erase of the disc, to start fresh. I wrote to zeros using
WD Life guard diagnostics.

Now the EHD is "gone". It's plugged in, and the light is on, but it's
not viewing in my computer. What do I need to do to get it viewable? I
backed up a folder called WD autorun, but that folder is empty.

Also; It does show up in WD life guard diagnostics, and after having
run an extended test on the ehd, I'm told that it is fine *LOL*

Any help?

Camill (p.s. not a computer wiz here, so please be gentle )

--
camill
Old September 24th 08, 09:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

click your start button and then (right) click on computer click on
(manage) it will
bring up the computer management page. on the (left) side click on
(disk management) and see if it's listed in there.
scrooge

--
scrooge

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP P35 ATX Intel
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.00 GHz processor
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply
Old September 24th 08, 11:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
camill

Thank you Scrooge!

Yes it does show up! That must be a good thing, right? It says the disk
is "not initialised" (or something similar: mine is in Norwegian )

Do you know what to do next?
Camill

--
camill
Old September 24th 08, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

it's been a long time for me and i just tryed to get into it on my
system and got a error.try clicking on the drive and see if it will let
you format it or asign it a drive letter. if not try right clinking and
see what settings are there. sorry i can't help you more but like i said
i'm getting a error and am going to need some help aswell.
scrooge

Old September 24th 08, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

ok i got it working and i think if you right click and format the drive
that should fix it.

Old September 24th 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

"Using WD diagnostics (after backing up the drive) I was told there were
several bad sectors"
Get the drive replaced under warranty.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Old September 24th 08, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
camill

David: I thought about it, but I really don't want to wait, and I
believe the problem to be solvable, if I manage to clean the disc

Scrooge: I am now formatting! Anxious to see how it turns out. Am also
changing the file system to NTFS. Thank you SO MUCH for your help. You
really came through for me on this one!

Camill

--
camill
Old September 24th 08, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
camill

scrooge;844141 Wrote:
ok i got it working and i think if you right click and format the drive
that should fix it.

Again: Really appreciate yoru help! THANK YOU! Am now formatting and
eager to see how it turns out.

--
camill
Old September 24th 08, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

You are not going to solve the problem when the drive is defective, you will
waste a bunch of time trying to get it to work, but in the end you'll be
RMAing it.

--

----

Old September 25th 08, 07:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
camill

I don't understand RMA , but how do you know this for sure. I've erased
it, it's now up and running completely, and the lifeguarddiagnostics now
find no bad sectors on the disc.

I don't understand why you don't think the problem is solved. Can you
please explain? I still have warranty on it, but it seems fine to me at
this point.

David B.;844513 Wrote:
You are not going to solve the problem when the drive is defective, you
will
waste a bunch of time trying to get it to work, but in the end you'll
be
RMAing it.

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipost 'Multiposting vs Crossposting'
(http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm)
How to ask a question 'How to ask a question'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
Help Us Help You 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
(http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm)