Cannot access files in Vista hard drive

Old September 30th 08, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ande

Default Cannot access files in Vista hard drive

HI

I bought compaq laptop which has vista home premium installed.

Laptop got problem and its not working.
My Hard drive has importent data in it, i removed teh hard drive and
connected to other laptop(Vista OS installed) with USB.

Iam able to open the hard drive, but Iam unable to see any files in it.
Folder strucure exists. But files in folders doesnt exist.

In Users folders Iam unable to see my Folder.

I tried to log in to computer as administrator (Other laptop to whihc my
Hard drive is connected )

Is this a security of VISTA.

Please help me to recover my Data back.
Old September 30th 08, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon[_5_]

"Ande" wrote in message
HI

I bought compaq laptop which has vista home premium installed.

Laptop got problem and its not working.
My Hard drive has importent data in it, i removed teh hard drive and
connected to other laptop(Vista OS installed) with USB.

Iam able to open the hard drive, but Iam unable to see any files in it.
Folder strucure exists. But files in folders doesnt exist.

In Users folders Iam unable to see my Folder.

I tried to log in to computer as administrator (Other laptop to whihc my
Hard drive is connected )

Is this a security of VISTA.

Please help me to recover my Data back.

You need to take ownership of the files. Type in "take ownership" into Help
and read that.

Old September 30th 08, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ande

Thanks for the responce ...

But its not working iam still unable to see the files

Command i typed is "takeown /f k:\users"

Old September 30th 08, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Ande wrote:

Thanks for the responce ...

But its not working iam still unable to see the files

Command i typed is "takeown /f k:\users"

You never said what problem your laptop had. The hard drive may have died.
Since you can't see the files, you can't take ownership of them. The only
way to get them may be with data recovery software or services since you
apparently don't have backups. Here is general information about data
recovery:

*IMPORTANT* - If there is any question that the drive is at fault - it's
making noises for instance - and the data is crucial DO NOTHING FURTHER ON
THE DRIVE. Every time you spin that drive up you may be destroying data. If
this is the case, send the drive to a professional data recovery company
like Drive Savers (my preference) or Seagate Data Recovery. General prices
run from $500USD on up. Drive Savers recovered all the data on a failed
laptop drive for one of my clients and it cost $2,700. He thought it was
worth the money; only you know what your data is worth. I understand that
some insurance companies are now covering data recovery charges so check
with yours.

Drive Savers - http://www.drivesavers.com
Seagate Data Recovery Services - https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/

*IMPORTANT* - If you think the drive is physically healthy, it may be
possible to retrieve the data by software methods. DO NOTHING FURTHER ON
THE DRIVE. The data is still on the hard drive but if you overwrite it, it
will be extremely difficult or impossible to recover it. If you use data
recovery software, install it on another machine and either use it from
that operating system or create a bootable cd/floppy and work with that. If
you don't have the skill and/or equipment to do these procedures and the
data is crucial, take the machine to a professional computer repair shop
that has experience in doing data recovery. This will not be your local
version of BigStoreUSA. In-shop data recovery is usually not exactly cheap
(for ex., my charges are generally $150-350USD), but it normally costs less
than sending the drive to a company like Drive Savers. You need to make the
determination of the value of your data and decide what to do.

Here are some links to various programs. I use Easy Recovery Pro, but it is
expensive. People whom I respect have recommended R-Studio and Restoration.
YMMV.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
PCInspector File Recovery -
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
Executive Software ?Undelete? -
http://www.undelete.com/undelete/undelete.asp
R-Studio - http://www.r-tt.com/
File Scavenger - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm
Ontrack's EasyRecovery - http://www.ontrack.com/software/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old September 30th 08, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

Maybe this will help.

Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder

Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f filename or folder

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property

Windows

Now again

1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'

You have now taken 'Full control' of file

--
Leo

Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.