can't find card reader

Old October 8th 08, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulH7436

Default can't find card reader

I have a Gateway desktop that is about a year old. It came with Vista Home
but was modified with Virtual PC to run XP Home. I used the Gateway restore
to set the machine back to original settings. Vista runs fine and the all
USB ports work. The built- in multi-card reader does not work. It is not
listed in Device Manager. I d/l a new driver for the USB & card reader from
Gateway. The install aborted with a message that the card reader is not
installed. I have never had the case of the machine open. Any suggestions
on a fix would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old October 9th 08, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Hi,

Sounds like a loose/disconnected cable, it should be easy to check. Are
there any unidentified devices shown in device manager?

Good luck.

Old October 9th 08, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulH7436

Thanks for the prompt reply. Nothing is unidentified. I also thought of a
loose or disconnected wire but without a layout of the motherboard how would
I know where to plug it in. Given that the front USB ports and card reader
on the same panel, they may share the connection. The USB ports work,
however.
Thanks,

Old October 10th 08, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

Hi,
They don't typically share the same connection. It takes one USB port per
connection. Ususally the card reader needs a port of it's own. I would open
the case and see if all wires from the front panel are connected.
--
Paul

Old October 10th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Hi,

If you open the case, then you should be able to see the cable coming from
the card reader to the M/B, it should be a small 1x5 pin connector. With a
bit of luck it might still be on the M/B connector but just not sitting in
properly. If not, then the attached diagram may help. As you can see from
the diagram, your front USB ports may be connected and operating separately
from your card reader.
Hope that helps.

Old October 10th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulH7436

I could not find the attached diagram but I think I know what you are talking
about. I will try it over the weekend. Thanks!

Old October 10th 08, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

The diagram is there, you should see it if you are using Outlook Express or
similar as your news reader.