Recommendations for Anti malware on Home premium

Old October 14th 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Gordon[_5_]

Default Recommendations for Anti malware on Home premium

I've just ditched OneCare owing to the total inability of MS support to
understand and reply to an infuriating but very straightforward and simple
problem I had with it.
So I need recommendations for a (hopefully) free Malware app that I can set
a schedule up in. (I already have Acronis Home for backup and I'm trying
Antivir for AV)

Thanks

Old October 14th 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SIW2

Gordon;860773 Wrote:
I've just ditched OneCare owing to the total inability of MS support to
understand and reply to an infuriating but very straightforward and
simple
problem I had with it.
So I need recommendations for a (hopefully) free Malware app that I can
set
a schedule up in. (I already have Acronis Home for backup and I'm
trying
Antivir for AV)

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

I have heard Avira is pretty good.

However, a lot of members of this forum use the Avast free home edition
- it has a lot of features and is automated. Does a great job, too -
since I have been using it , Windows Defender has never had anything to
do.

'FREE avast! antivirus 4.x Home Edition, anti-spyware & anti-rootkit
for Windows' (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html)

Secunia psi is another good free app. - checks everything is fully
patched and up to date

'Secunia PSI | Security Download | PC World'
(http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html)

Hope that helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old October 14th 08, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mike-cow

I've become a huge supporter of Norton Internet Security 2009... It's
the best thing since... forever... Do NOT get the earlier versions, they
are horrible.

--
mike-cow

- But being as I have no major in rocket science, the most technical
education in the world, and would leave your computer clean as new,
you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya,
punk?
Old October 14th 08, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jon Wallace

I've used Kaspersky on Vista since Vista existed without problems... I have
Kaspersky on all of my Vista machines...

Thanks,
Jon

---

Old October 14th 08, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MowGreen [MVP]

Gordon wrote:

I've just ditched OneCare owing to the total inability of MS support to
understand and reply to an infuriating but very straightforward and
simple problem I had with it.
So I need recommendations for a (hopefully) free Malware app that I can
set a schedule up in. (I already have Acronis Home for backup and I'm
trying Antivir for AV)

Thanks

AntiVir is good and so is Avast, which appears to be very compatible
with Vista. Some folks don't care for the nag screen that AntiVir uses:

Disable the Avira Antivir PE Classic avnotify nag screen
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm

Spyware Blaster is good for surfing protection while not *passively*
monitoring the system. ( It sets killbits in the registry )
a-squared (Free) is good at detecting/removing, but not preventing
malware unless one buys the paid version. It does have FPs that one must
do some research on.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Old October 14th 08, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mick Murphy

A good overall security package:

Avast Anti-Virus is XP and Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions),
FREE, auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

SpywareBlaster 4.1 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program (no
scanning by you!).
SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of many so-called spyware, adware
and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware ActiveX
controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage
Update it once a fortnight.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
Download.com, or Major Geeks.com

Download, install, and update.

--
Mad Mike

Old October 15th 08, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
CTOS

AVG has been good to me.

http://free.avg.com/