help configuring SATA USB hard drive

Old October 25th 08, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CSreality

Default help configuring SATA USB hard drive

My 2 year old toshiba laptop died and I removed the HD and got a USB
encolsure for it and have tried to connect it to my new laptop.

VIsta recognizes it as a USB mass storage device, but it won't assign
it a drive letter or appear in the computer panel.

What gives??

--
CSreality
Old October 25th 08, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"CSreality" wrote in message

My 2 year old toshiba laptop died and I removed the HD and got a USB
encolsure for it and have tried to connect it to my new laptop.

VIsta recognizes it as a USB mass storage device, but it won't assign
it a drive letter or appear in the computer panel.

What gives??

--
CSreality

Do you have instructions with it? Any mention of initializing, partitioning
and formatting?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old October 25th 08, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CSreality

I don't have anything from toshiba anymore and the instructions that
came with the USB enclosure are only a 3 step outline in poor english
that ends with plug the USB cable into your computer. It came with a
driver disk for windows 98, but I bought it from Fry's and it has a
Vista compatible sticker on it.

What would be typical initialization instructions? I don't want to
format the drive because I have a lot of data I want to move off of it
onto my new machine.

--
CSreality
Old October 25th 08, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pooch

Hey CSreality,
I don't really understand why you do not just get a new HD for the
lappy?? if that is all that is broken.
An external drive is *_not_* an ideal solution and I suspect that the
drive that you are planning to use does not have an adequate cooler
which would mean it would be working at very *_high_temperatures_* which
would shorten its life drasticaly!

--
pooch
Old October 25th 08, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pooch

pooch;870723 Wrote:
Hey CSreality,
I don't really understand why you do not just get a new HD for the
lappy?? if that is all that is broken.
An external drive is *_not_* an ideal solution and I suspect that the
drive that you are planning to use does not have an adequate cooler
which would mean it would be working at very *_high_temperatures_* which
would shorten its life drasticaly!

Forget what I've written !! should learn to read first

--
pooch
Old October 25th 08, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pooch

Attempt two.
Are you sure that this drive is ok? when you say your old lappy died
was this maybe the problem!!
Have you tried to error check the disk when it is attatched to the new
lappy?? it could be possible that you can still get something from it

--
pooch
Old October 25th 08, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CSreality

It was the DC connector pin on the mother board that stopped working. I
had enough battery life left to know that the HD still works.

I need to get my data off of it and don't want to pay a recovery
service or anything...

--
CSreality
Old October 25th 08, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pooch

Ok,
when it is connected you are unable to open the drive have you tried
checking it?

--
pooch
Old October 26th 08, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Check in disk manager, and see if the computer sees the drive. If it does,
you can right click on it and then assign a drive letter. "Computer" will
not see it till it has one. Did you leave the original operating system and
data on the disk. If not, you can format it. Disks in enclosures are
usually used intermittently, and so heat is not much of a problem. But, if
the enclosure does not have an external power supply, it may be demanding
too much from your usb ports. Try not to plug it into front ports. Disks and
scanners are pretty sensitive to location, and front ports are often split
off a single usb port. Good for flash drives and such, but not disks and
scanners. Of course there are exceptions, but check it all out.

Good luck.