Old March 5th 07, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
netfairy23

Default CD/DVD Drives don't recognize discs

Here's the deal...

I got a new Gateway FX530XM with Vista Home Premium (32bit). It has two
double-layer multi-format DVD writers (DVD+/R+RW/CD-R/RW). It's not
recognizing the discs that I put in (Audio, Software or DVD's). I put a disc
in, it spins. When I go to my computer, it shows all the drives, but it
doesn't show that a disc is in either drive. If I try to access what it on
the disc, the computer freezes.

After talking to 5 different people at Gateway (3 of which hung up on me),
one decided that both drives are bad. That seems really odd that both drives
would be bad on a brand new computer (the tower was delivered yesterday!).
Gateway is going to replace both drives. But I really don't think that's the
problem.

Any ideas, suggestions??? TIA!