Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)

Old November 19th 08, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kris[_5_]

Default Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)

Present mobo has P35 ICH9R
New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R

I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it just
occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask
me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does?

(I do/will not use RAID)

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Kris
----------

| 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
| Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1
Old November 19th 08, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kris[_5_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:55:45 -0500, Kris wrote:

Present mobo has P35 ICH9R
New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R

I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it just
occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask
me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does?

(I do/will not use RAID)

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh... I have SP1 installed so REPAIR won't work, I think. Any other way?
--
Kris
----------

Old November 19th 08, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old November 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kris[_5_]

Thanks Rick. My other stuff is on 7 other partitions on 2 other spindles,
so nothing on C except C stuff.

Old November 20th 08, 05:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Donald L McDaniel[_5_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:24:48 -0500, Kris wrote:

Thanks Rick. My other stuff is on 7 other partitions on 2 other spindles,
so nothing on C except C stuff.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:31:34 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:

Hi,

Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).

Normally, "C: stuff" would include your programs and much of your
data, including Outlook .pst and archive files. Better back up your
data...

You'll be glad you did later.

--

Donald McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
Old November 21st 08, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kris[_5_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:24:56 -0800, Donald L McDaniel wrote:

[...]

yep, I have tons of backups.

But - shocker!!! : put in the new board and the old system booted right
up. All I did to try to aid that was to install the chipset drivers just
before shutting down, but I noticed that it only installed ICH09 and P35
stuff, so that shouldn't have made any difference.

It was a little slow at first as I installed the chipset drivers again and
then it had to go through and update all the drivers for the sata ports.

I had a worry last night that Acronis and other stand alone things I use
wouldn't work with the ICH10. Indeed, AcronisTI 11 won't, but their new
Acronis TI homne 2009 DOES, so there goes $30 ) Odly Acronis DD 10 now
works, especially if I use a cheap MS mouse instead of my Logitech wireless
USB.

GPARTED also works on the ICH10 chipset.

So I didn't have to re-install at all. Nice!
--
Kris