Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium (http://www.vistabanter.com/147313-disappearance-local-disk-d-after-full-system-recovery-vista-home-premium.html)

Killborn November 24th 08 06:59 AM

The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium

Lesson learned the hardway: After accidentally deleting a number of bios
settings, and receiving an error message that read: Your Operating Sytem
is missing., when simply trying to change the boot sequence order of my
OS, I reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium with the OS disk and the
apps. and drivers from the recovery disks I had made shortly after
purchase. I was not aware that running this utility would delete the
contents of local disk (D:)drive permanently even after complete system
restore. My question is: I now have a local disk (D:) drive with
capacity 9.79GB listed in my computer where it should be, and inside I
see a BOOTSEC.BAK file size 8k as the only contents. What am I supposed
to do with this file? And what should be done about the 8+GB space left
in this drive?

--
Killborn

mansrm81 November 24th 08 07:05 AM

The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium

Are you sure it only has that file in it the files could be hidden. Have
you checked the properties for the drive too. When you installed from
the recovery discs it should have copied all the files from the discs
into there.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep :D. Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]

The Max[_2_] November 24th 08 07:41 AM

The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:59:25 -0600, Killborn
wrote:

Lesson learned the hardway: After accidentally deleting a number of bios
settings, and receiving an error message that read: Your Operating Sytem
is missing., when simply trying to change the boot sequence order of my
OS, I reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium with the OS disk and the
apps. and drivers from the recovery disks I had made shortly after
purchase. I was not aware that running this utility would delete the
contents of local disk (D:)drive permanently even after complete system
restore. My question is: I now have a local disk (D:) drive with
capacity 9.79GB listed in my computer where it should be, and inside I
see a BOOTSEC.BAK file size 8k as the only contents. What am I supposed
to do with this file? And what should be done about the 8+GB space left
in this drive?

If you're saying that what USED to be a recovery partition is now just
empty space...

Go to Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.

Delete "D" and resize "C" to fill the void.

--
Max

DL November 24th 08 01:25 PM

The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium

FWIW in future, there is a setting in the BIOS to set defaults, which will
put it back to the condition it was in prior to any 'tweaking' you may have
done

zilvinas December 8th 09 06:13 PM

The disappearance of local disk (D:) after full system recovery in Vista Home Premium

Hi man, i have just fixed this problem on my computer :)
so i creted an account on this website to help you out.
ok i will tell you what to do step by step, the process takes about 2
minutes to complete, so its really easy :)
ok here we go
1. Control Panel
2. Administrative Tools
3. Computer Managment
4. Disk Managment [under "storage"

There you will get your local disc C:\ (in blue) and beside it there
will be just some ammount of disk space (in black)

5. Right click on it and select properties, then just do step by step
and you will complete it, just create a new disk :)
really easy
hope helps
If there are problmes, post to me i will try to explain in more detail

--
zilvinas
zilvinas's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/162161.htm

http://forums.techarena.in